cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing King-Dome in-motion satellite system

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
Our 10-year-old King-Dome Trac-King system has died, and the very friendly and helpful tech dude didn’t surprise me by telling me it is long obsolete, can’t be updated, and they no longer have any parts. So I am in the market for a replacement.

We are currently using DirecTV because that’s what we have in our house. I upgraded to a flat screen TV a few years ago so I would like to be able to get HD satellite service, but as near as I can tell by googling, it doesn’t exist for DirecTV in-motion domes.

At some point we may decide to switch to Dish, but in the meantime I would like to get back up and running with our current service. I think the quickest and easiest way of doing that is by replacing our old Trac-King with a new King Controls KD-3000 King-Dome system. I understand the dome uses the same mounts and I believe the same cables, so switching should be pretty easy. Then if we switch to Dish down the road we can use the same system for HD. In addition, we need the low profile (12” high) in order to fit in our RV bay.

Any experience with the KD-3000, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
1 REPLY 1

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim McGarvie wrote:
Our 10-year-old King-Dome Trac-King system has died, and the very friendly and helpful tech dude didn’t surprise me by telling me it is long obsolete, can’t be updated, and they no longer have any parts. So I am in the market for a replacement.

We are currently using DirecTV because that’s what we have in our house. I upgraded to a flat screen TV a few years ago so I would like to be able to get HD satellite service, but as near as I can tell by googling, it doesn’t exist for DirecTV in-motion domes.

At some point we may decide to switch to Dish, but in the meantime I would like to get back up and running with our current service. I think the quickest and easiest way of doing that is by replacing our old Trac-King with a new King Controls KD-3000 King-Dome system. I understand the dome uses the same mounts and I believe the same cables, so switching should be pretty easy. Then if we switch to Dish down the road we can use the same system for HD. In addition, we need the low profile (12” high) in order to fit in our RV bay.

Any experience with the KD-3000, or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

DirecTV and all domes preclude you receiving any HD. Come 2009 the domes may or may not receive anything. Hard to tell at this point as DTV has not been forthcoming about what the loss of ALL SD programming means.
If in-motion is critical to your decision then you should plan to move to DISH. However, you could install a Winegard Trav'ler (not a dome and not in-motion) and get full DirecTV HD where ever you park. Assuming you have a Genie, you can use that in the RV as well and you can watch any of your recorded programming while in-motion without all of the frustrating interruptions associated with live in-motion TV.
The time of the dome has come and gone with both services (IMHO) so choosing any option other than a full sized satellite TV antenna (IMHO) is simply a waste of money.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?