cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticking Awning Windows

newBera
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 2013 Winnebago Era. My awning windows are sticking. Is there something I should use to keep them from sticking? Silicone? Apply to windows and rubber gasket? Despite always trying to be gentle with them, I think I may have cracked one of the twist latches (before going outside to gently pry on the window.

Those windows are so floppy. Do those things have a short life? Ever replaced one?

Thanks,
Roy (newbie)
11 REPLIES 11

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
I'd try the RV seal lubricant.

Actually they are called awning windows. Louvered windows would be a series of small windows stacked vertically that open from the bottom simultaneously. Like louvered shutters.

This is from Kolbe Windows products page.

"Awnings:

Awning windows open from the bottom out. The glass creates an awning above the opening, providing ventilation in a variety of weather conditions. Awnings’ unique style and operation create an unobstructed view with venting flexibility. Their versatility can also create architectural interest in small spaces, especially when combined with casements and picture windows."
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
mileshuff wrote:
On most newer Winnebago RV's they use frameless windows. The have a twist knob inside that operates a scissor mechanism to push the bottom of the window outwards. The top of the window is hinged. I have the same trouble with occasional sticking. Haven't tried but am told either a dry lube or talcum powder will work.

Mine behave the same. I just turn the crank until it puts some pressure on the window and then stop and wait. Usually in about 5 - 10 seconds the window pops free from the gasket. After that it works fine for the rest of the trip.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Kyte
Explorer
Explorer
Gummi Pflege Stift rubber care stick.

It's water based and silicone free.

Should do the job on your sticky windows.

Regards
Kyte NW PA

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Talcum powder on the seals.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
On most newer Winnebago RV's they use frameless windows. The have a twist knob inside that operates a scissor mechanism to push the bottom of the window outwards. The top of the window is hinged. I have the same trouble with occasional sticking. Haven't tried but am told either a dry lube or talcum powder will work.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice from navegator above. Another technical name for these types of windows, since we're into naming, is jalousie window.

Paste wax applied to the sealing surfaces of operating windows tends to eliminate a lot of sticking.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they are called louver windows, and they are being used more on the high end units today, if they have a rubber seal, the rubber tends to deteriorate and stick to the glass, the same as the windshield wipers, you might try getting some of the fluid that is used to mount tires, you might be able to get some from the tire store, take a mayo jar and ask for some, put a little on a rag and wipe the seal so hat the window does not stick, this is a rubber lubricant, you can also spray it on the rubber mounts from the shocks when they start to squeak and he sway bar bushings.

On the crank mechanism buy some 3-in-1 oil and put a couple of drops on the crank and hinge at the tops.

Do not use WD-40, it tends to collect a lot of dust very fast and leaves a grey residue on the long run.

navegator

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try "Sildeout Seal Conditioner" from CW. I would spray it on a rag and then wipe a little on the seals. Trying to spray it on the window frame would make a giant mess.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Ours stick badly too, and they are very irritating because they are hard to open anyways, then to top it off, they put the knob behind the valances.
Let me know if you figure something out that works.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

newBera
Explorer
Explorer
Awning windows are windows that open from the bottom outward. (Casement windows crank open like a door.) I don't know if RV windows like this are called awning windows or not. My widows rest on a rubber seal and open from the bottom outward. They are not sliding windows in a track. Thanks anyway.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
What d you mean by awning windows, awnings do not have windows, do you mean the windows on the side of the RV that are under the waning.

After a time dust an dirt accumulate on the channel that the glass runs on, use a good vacuum cleaner and a small screw driver (flat) to dislodge the dirt, be carful not to ruin he material that is glued in.

After that if you use anything to lubricate the channel it will only attract more dirt and you will be in the same or worst situation.

navegator