cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arrow vs. 3P: which one is better at distributing weight?

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly the Hensley vs. ProPride debate has been flogged to death, and I still think I'd be happy either way, but is there a clear front runner when it comes to doing a better job of distributing weight?

Additionally, is there any merit to the claim that the Arrow is the better choice when towing a heavier trailer, whereas the 3P was designed for lighter trailers with surge brakes?

Much obliged in advance for the wisdom!
2014 Heartland Trail Runner 35' TT + ProPride 3P
2012 F350 SRW Power Stroke Diesel FX4 Long Bed
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.
34 REPLIES 34

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Lspangler wrote:

It's a lot to read but interesting

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/the-unofficial-pp-users-guide-57179.html

Excellent reference...thanks!
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
rangerbait wrote:
Lspangler wrote:
If you call each company they will price match. I have read where a few people got the PP hitch for $1900

I went with the Propride and I like it a lot. I added a handle to the top of the stinger and it doesn't seem all that heavy to me

One of the airstream forums has a great comparison of the two hitches. When comparing them side by side, the Hensley looks like it was cobbled together by a beginning welder while the PP looks to have automated welds and a finish you get from something factory produced

Whichever you buy will give you a great towing experience

Linc

Thanks Linc, do you happen to have a link to that forum?

It's a lot to read but interesting

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/the-unofficial-pp-users-guide-57179.html

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
BigFly10 wrote:
rangerbait wrote:
mbutts wrote:
Sean of PP is absolutely unparalleled in customer service and support, too.

That's one of the reasons I decided to go with the 3P...Sean answered my call on a Sunday evening, and has been super quick to respond to emails.

My personal experience with Sean is that he was quick to respond to my emails and questions.........until I had actually purchased the hitch and then communications went silent.

I had some questions and issues that I was looking for help with shortly after installing and first using my 3P. I sent several emails and left Sean a voicemail - all went unanswered.

I know a lot of folks rave about the customer service from Sean, but my experience was not good.

I've read the same criticism of Hensley, that they're heavily sales-biased, but not nearly as Johnny on the spot when it comes to CS. The bottom line is they both seem to function similarly, and both seem to be high quality products. I'm satisfied with the amount of research I've committed to the hitch buying process, and am ready to move on to more fulfilling pursuits, such as debating whether or not to replace my incandescent bulbs with LEDs :B
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

BigFly10
Explorer
Explorer
rangerbait wrote:
mbutts wrote:

That's one of the reasons I decided to go with the 3P...Sean answered my call on a Sunday evening, and has been super quick to respond to emails.

My personal experience with Sean is that he was quick to respond to my emails and questions.........until I had actually purchased the hitch and then communications went silent.

I had some questions and issues that I was looking for help with shortly after installing and first using my 3P. I sent several emails and left Sean a voicemail - all went unanswered.

I know a lot of folks rave about the customer service from Sean, but my experience was not good.

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:

Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
James C. Hensley was awarded a patent for the design of a hitch which could be used with a surge brake

However, part of the new mechanism which would allow for use of a surge brake was not incorporated into the PP hitch.

Therefore, I would say there is no merit in the claim the 3P was designed for lighter trailers with surge brakes.

Additional information can be found in this post.

Ron

Well, that info did come directly from Hensley, so I figured I might need to take it with a grain of salt.
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Lspangler wrote:
If you call each company they will price match. I have read where a few people got the PP hitch for $1900

I went with the Propride and I like it a lot. I added a handle to the top of the stinger and it doesn't seem all that heavy to me

One of the airstream forums has a great comparison of the two hitches. When comparing them side by side, the Hensley looks like it was cobbled together by a beginning welder while the PP looks to have automated welds and a finish you get from something factory produced

Linc

Thanks Linc, do you happen to have a link to that forum?
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

rangerbait
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
While I agree for the most part both hitches are identical. I do prefer the smaller stinger of the HA.
When I used the Hensley I really disliked moving the stinger just because it was so heavy.One of the great things about the HA and PP is there are not a lot of bars and things to carry and move around. Unfortunately you must still handle the stinger
I really would not like a heavier larger stinger. Since most of us don't change vehicles regularly the adjustable stinger is really not beneficial. The fact hat it is heavier and bulkier makes it a deal breaker.

I've seen the weight comparison several times in various threads, but the weight of the 8" drop Hensley stinger is within 6lbs (42 vs 48) of the PP stinger assembly. My current WD hitch is 49lbs, and while it IS a PITA to carry around, I don't do it frequently enough for it to be a factor in my decision making process.

Lantley wrote:
I would not however pay a $500-$700 premium for a HA over a PP. If HA would not reduce there price, I would take the savings and go with the PP.

Yeah, they did both price match each other, and made offers that were significantly below MSRP. Competition is good for the consumer, and these guys are in a cage death match it seems.
Mom, Dad, and 4 Rugrats!
Monterey, Ca.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer

Linc

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
While I agree for the most part both hitches are identical. I do prefer the smaller stinger of the HA.
When I used the Hensley I really disliked moving the stinger just because it was so heavy.One of the great things about the HA and PP is there are not a lot of bars and things to carry and move around. Unfortunately you must still handle the stinger
I really would not like a heavier larger stinger. Since most of us don't change vehicles regularly the adjustable stinger is really not beneficial. The fact hat it is heavier and bulkier makes it a deal breaker.
I would not however pay a $500-$700 premium for a HA over a PP. If HA would not reduce there price, I would take the savings and go with the PP.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
rangerbait wrote:
Additionally, is there any merit to the claim that the Arrow is the better choice when towing a heavier trailer, whereas the 3P was designed for lighter trailers with surge brakes?
James C. Hensley was awarded a patent for the design of a hitch which could be used with a surge brake

However, part of the new mechanism which would allow for use of a surge brake was not incorporated into the PP hitch.

Therefore, I would say there is no merit in the claim the 3P was designed for lighter trailers with surge brakes.

Additional information can be found in this post.

Ron

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info Barney, I wasn't aware of those issues....also good point about the weight of the adjustable stinger vs the straight bar.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
rangerbait wrote:
Snip...

If you were going to buy another hitch system in this class today, which would you choose?

I realize you didn't direct that question to me but having owned a Hensley hitch for quite a few years and knowing several people that own a PP hitch, I feel I can give you an educated answer.

Although both are excellent hitches, I would prefer the Hensley over the PP mainly for the following reason. The adjustable hitch of the PP is much heavier and bulkier than the stinger of the Hensley. There have been at least one or more failures reported of that stinger (which I would suppose have been rectified by this time) but just this past winter, one of the persons to whom I had recommended the PP several years ago showed me his hitch. It had some very bad welds on it and it had broken where one of the support struts connected to the hitch at the front.

Over all, I see nothing in that hitch that is superior to the Hensley and at least one thing that is inferior and for that reason I would go with the Hensley.
Barney

Broken weld on the PP hitch.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a Hensley, they shipped the wrong ball size. On my way to return it (I live in Michigan about an hour from both Hensley and ProPride), I stopped in at ProPride. I liked the product and they were about $700 less than Hensley at the time. I ended up buying the 3P and getting a refund for the Hensley. Sean of PP is absolutely unparalleled in customer service and support, too.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would probably try the ProPride...it looks like they made some design changes to the jack tubes that tension the spring bars as well as the yoke attachment that keeps the hitch square to the trailer.

Once it's installed, they look to operate exactly the same from a hitch/tow/unhitch standpoint, and since they both use the 4-bar mechanism both will perform equally at eliminating sway.

Pretty much a universal complaint about the Arrow is that the factory paint peels off after 2 seasons, so a repainting job is necessary to keep it looking good. I painted mine black instead of the "steal me" orange. Why they can't powder coat these parts at this price is beyond me.

The other consideration is that the 3P is $2345 and last I heard the Arrow was still $3000+, so a significant difference in price. If you're on a budget, I would lean toward the Arrow since you can get a used one more easily than a 3P.

I have 1200 lb bars in mine and the TT weighs about 8500 lbs, maybe a little heavier, I haven't weighed it in a while, but I have no qualms about the 3P handling the weight just as well as the Arrow.