cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping with the Sound Police

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
This is not intended to be another quiet generator versus noisy generator discussion, but I am curious where people camp who run their generators for much of the day. I am a full timer and travel extensively. I use my generator for overnight parking in Walmarts etc. I either stay at parks with hookups or where none are needed. I do not go camping where I need to hear my generator or yours all day and all night.
141 REPLIES 141

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
Notice that the new coaches are near impossible to hear the generators,

I have only a Winnebago built 2005 non-slide Class C with a built-in Onan gas generator, and yeah ... of course one can hear it's cooling air sound and a low hum from the outside and hear a low vibration-less hum inside ... but it's not a big deal to us when sitting inside of the coach or outside of it. I attribute this to the facts that it's mounted under a well-padded interior floor and is mounted up high enough in it's cabinet such that none of it's case portrudes down low enough to be seen from the outside. I could quiet it even more by lining it's cabinet with sound proofing material and by placing a rug under it whenever we park it on an asphalt campsite surface. I also use an E3 spark plug in it to reduce fuel consumption and reduce noise.

However, I once stood beside a Class A motorhome with it's generator running in order to try and hear it's whisper-quiet low humming sound that could not be heard at the next campsite. It probably was an 1800 RPM water cooled diesel unit buried somewhere deep inside it's frame. So it IS POSSIBLE to have and run an RV generator that just might meet Sound Police Criteria.

Regarding built-in gas generator noise, we lucked out when we bought our rig new. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy an RV with a generator so loud that it couldn't be tolerated inside and outside when run for hours in the middle of the day for air conditioning. Self-contained RV's cost too much to buy one with a noise-unusable built-in generator.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Notice that the new coaches are near impossible to hear the generators, on some models especially those run on propane, I think.
Ours is noticable close up. I think with a genturi it would not be heard.
I've been considering a quieter exhaust, muffler and pipe but haven't found anyone knowledgeable on the subject.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
drsteve wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
pnichols wrote:
There is another (ultimate, IMHO) approach to keeping RV batteries charged pretty much all the time, rain or shine, shade or shine, with no noise you can hear. However barring a huge battery bank (or a very small RV), a generator still may or may not be required for air conditioning.

Here it is: http://www.efoy.com/

Here's a link with more detail: https://www.efoy-comfort.com/technical-data

That is nice.

Nice but pricey. $5800 for 12v at 8.8 amps.

Yep. But if it's sustainable, it will come down in price. I don't need the extra battery power that a generator provides at this point. But if the time comes that I do want more power, then this could be a viable option at that point. Worth keeping an eye on.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
pnichols wrote:
There is another (ultimate, IMHO) approach to keeping RV batteries charged pretty much all the time, rain or shine, shade or shine, with no noise you can hear. However barring a huge battery bank (or a very small RV), a generator still may or may not be required for air conditioning.

That is nice.

Nice but pricey. $5800 for 12v at 8.8 amps.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:

That is nice.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVing is different for different people. For those that think hookups (or generators) are not "real" camping, does that mean you only tent? I "roughed it" for years. Now, I'm in a position where I can still be comfortable while camping, and I'm going to take advantage of that. In fact, isn't that what owning an RV is all about? For the most part, I "camp" to do other things; ride ATC's, jet ski, boat... The less time and energy that I have to spend setting up and breaking down camp, the more time and energy I have to do what I'm actually there to do. Everyone has their own definition of "camping", what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. And that's ok, as long as I'm not bothering you as I do it, and you're not bothering me while you do it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
So, I go to higher altitudes when it's hot and hit the lower altitudes when it cools down. It works well and I get to enjoy the outdoors and the inside of my RV - no hookups or generators needed. 🙂

BINGO!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Somehow "hookups" seem counter to what "RV'ing" is about.

Hookups are a bit too much dependent on close-by civilization in order for me to feel that I'm getting away from it all. Generation capability is needed in order to complete the self-containment picture. Why are RV owners all over (the world) spending their $$$ over and over and over again for generators, then refusing to use them and then also bad-mouthing them in the forums?

The seasons may be getting on-average hotter and hotter, so I can't see restricting one's camping to only hookups or higher altitudes. One of our most interesting RV exploration stops was in the Texas Panhandle in August. That experience required BOTH our built-in generator for rooftop A/C and the ilding main engine for cab A/C. They were priceless at that time ... and the "noise level" was not important.

I agree with the first part - but I think it is often the difference between a "tourist RVer" and a "camping RVer". Tourists want to be close-by civilization and tourist areas; Campers want to get away from that.

As for restricting camping to hookups or higher altitudes, I am guilty of the latter. I HATE the heat - it literally makes me sick. Having a generator or hookups doesn't make a difference for me because the outside is hot. Why go someplace just to spend the entire time inside my RV? So, I go to higher altitudes when it's hot and hit the lower altitudes when it cools down. It works well and I get to enjoy the outdoors and the inside of my RV - no hookups or generators needed. 🙂

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somehow "hookups" seem counter to what "RV'ing" is about.

Hookups are a bit too much dependent on close-by civilization in order for me to feel that I'm getting away from it all. Generation capability is needed in order to complete the self-containment picture. Why are RV owners all over (the world) spending their $$$ over and over and over again for generators, then refusing to use them and then also bad-mouthing them in the forums?

The seasons may be getting on-average hotter and hotter, so I can't see restricting one's camping to only hookups or higher altitudes. One of our most interesting RV exploration stops was in the Texas Panhandle in August. That experience required BOTH our built-in generator for rooftop A/C and the ilding main engine for cab A/C. They were priceless at that time ... and the "noise level" was not important.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
During the summer, we camp at the Colorado River in a campground that has full hookups. While we are outside most of the time playing on/in the water, the A/C runs 24/7; that's the only way to keep the rig cool in 110-115 degree heat, and allows us to go inside to fix lunch, take a break from the outside heat, and sleep in relative comfort. I would never even consider camping in that kind of heat without hookups, generator or not. That's not something that I would want to listen to 24/7, much less subject my neighbors to.

However, during the winter, we drycamp at Glamis. No hookups or facilities of any type available, but there ARE BLM rules, including quiet time (10pm till 8am). Now keep in mind, that while at Glamis, you have the constant noise of bikes, buggies, ATVs, etc; many of them quite loud. No problem; it is expected. And generator use during the day for charging batteries, or even A/C use when the weather dictates, is generally not a problem either. But at night, people are generally cognizant of others; generators are turned off, Bikes, buggies, ATV's going out for night rides are started but then leave the camp area. However, we have had a couple of instances that were problems.

Once, while camped in a large circle of rigs, the adjoining camp (also in a big circle) had the rear end of his enclosed buggy trailer near the front of my class C. He ran a LOUD generator all night long right under my window. It literally was buzzing my window. Evidently, he was charging the battery on his buggy, and since the generator was nowhere near HIS sleeping quarters, there was no issue!? At 3am, it finally shut off. Thank you! Nope, it had simply run out of fuel, and 10 minutes later it had been fueled up and restarted.

Another time (also Glamis), a trailer setup across the campground road from us (about 25ft away) ran a loud contractor generator 24/7 for 3 days straight, whether the occupants were there or out riding. The trailer was a rental, and I actually called the rental place when we got home to let them know. They apologized, thanked me for the info, and said that the "renters" were being placed on a "blacklist" and would not be allowed to rent from them again. Perhaps true, perhaps not.

So while most of us don't likely encounter loud generator abuse often, it only takes a time or two to make such a big impression that passions run high when the subject comes up.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
.....snip...... The kicker was plenty of much nicer sites were open with electric but I assumed he was too cheap to pay the $6 xtra per night.

The problem was not what kind of generator he had. There are jerks everywhere, except on RV.NET

All the "jerks" congregate here, on RV.Net. How do I know, I'm here arn't I. 😮

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
.....snip...... The kicker was plenty of much nicer sites were open with electric but I assumed he was too cheap to pay the $6 xtra per night.

The problem was not what kind of generator he had. There are jerks everywhere, except on RV.NET

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
CopilotCompanion wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
The way I see it is as long as you follow the rules, then you're fine.

If the rules say "generators between 6 and 8 a.m. and 4-8 p.m., and you insist on running it at midnight, then YOU are in the wrong; If you are running it at 7 p.m. and someone else complains, then THEY are in the wrong.

If you want to be able to run your generator all day and night and/or at will, then you need to pick campgrounds/camp spots that allow that.

If you want to not hear a generator all day and night, then you need to pick campgrounds/camp spots that don't allow that.

If you are boondocking, then be courteous. Don't park next to someone and start running the generator non-stop. Maybe ask them (they were there first) if they have a problem if you run it all day and night and maybe even explain why you want to run it and why you want to park next to them.

I suspect most people would say "no problem, please do what you need" if you explained that your child has medical devices that run on electrical but this is his favorite place to fish. Be prepared for the neighbors (who were there first) to say they do have a problem with the generator and be prepared to move away to another spot - don't just ignore their wants because you think yours are more important. Heck, maybe a conversation with them will result in finding a new perfect fishing spot.

Maybe if both sides would take a moment to COMMUNICATE instead of ASSUMING, we'd find fewer problems with the use of generators, scare lights, and so on.

It's really a shame that compromise has been lost to our society.

X2. Yeah, what TToes said.
I guess common sense is not all that common.

Is it always that black and white? PA state park campgrounds have no specific generator rule. What they do have is a rule worded to the effect that you can not disturb others. We were on an electric only site and on the other side of the road were primitive sites. Someone on one of the primitive sites fired up an open frame genny that could be heard for 1000 yards at least. I told the guy he was disturbing everyone else in the loop and he told me screw you buddy, its a free country, a state campground, and they have no generator rule. A quick call to the ranger had it shut down in short order. The guy must have been pissed as he broke down and left. We exchanged fingers as he was pulling out. The kicker was plenty of much nicer sites were open with electric but I assumed he was too cheap to pay the $6 xtra per night.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CopilotCompanion wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
The way I see it is as long as you follow the rules, then you're fine.

If the rules say "generators between 6 and 8 a.m. and 4-8 p.m., and you insist on running it at midnight, then YOU are in the wrong; If you are running it at 7 p.m. and someone else complains, then THEY are in the wrong.

If you want to be able to run your generator all day and night and/or at will, then you need to pick campgrounds/camp spots that allow that.

If you want to not hear a generator all day and night, then you need to pick campgrounds/camp spots that don't allow that.

If you are boondocking, then be courteous. Don't park next to someone and start running the generator non-stop. Maybe ask them (they were there first) if they have a problem if you run it all day and night and maybe even explain why you want to run it and why you want to park next to them.

I suspect most people would say "no problem, please do what you need" if you explained that your child has medical devices that run on electrical but this is his favorite place to fish. Be prepared for the neighbors (who were there first) to say they do have a problem with the generator and be prepared to move away to another spot - don't just ignore their wants because you think yours are more important. Heck, maybe a conversation with them will result in finding a new perfect fishing spot.

Maybe if both sides would take a moment to COMMUNICATE instead of ASSUMING, we'd find fewer problems with the use of generators, scare lights, and so on.

It's really a shame that compromise has been lost to our society.

X2. Yeah, what TToes said.
I guess common sense is not all that common.