cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covered Storage of RV In Driveway

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
got a new truck camper and planning to build/buy a sun and snow cover for it. 13 foot tall clearance (haul canoes on top) 13-14 feet width clearance, 26 feet long. live in Mtns of Colorado with lots of sun and snow and wind. Have Fab skills and tools on hand. Few ideas i tossing around; 1) cable suspended pitch roof with cables going from our garage to 14 foot tall posts, 2) 6 direct bury wood post having 3 on each side topping with galvanized square tube frame and fabric cover, 3) freestanding galvanized frame with pitched roof covered in fabric - this is currently my pick. Fabric will be vinyl coated polyester (think semi cargo cover tarp) that is slippery and will shed snow good. I am leaning towards freestanding frame and staking down with large (2 foot) stakes along a perimeter frame resting on the driveway that is gravel. Problem is where i park it is within my setback so a permanent structure is not possible. Anyone done similar? Know a good outlet for structure fittings/supplies? Tarp material i plan to source form Rochford Upholstery and it can be glued together. This is how the large semi cargo tarps are constructed. I have industrial sewing machine too that i can reinforce or make tie downs, sleeves, etc. as needed. Also have tube bender i could bend up frame, however i want a more square look to match the house. Want this to look nice. Any other experiences or do's don't s appreciated. Not wanting our new camper to fade and have sun damage like the old one we had for 13 years in the elements.
2023 Bigfoot 2500 10.4 TC on 2000 3500 dually duramax
Previous - Bigfoot 10.11 TC, lance TC, King Of Road 5th.
33 REPLIES 33

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Letโ€™s see a pic of this masterpiece!
Yeah - without pics it didn't happen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Letโ€™s see a pic of this masterpiece! Sounds very well built and like youโ€™ve done it before.
Having permanent or semi permanent shelter for a RV is NICE !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
framework is completed and the cover is glued to the overall size. Need to glue in straps to secure to frame and grommets set for rope securing to frame at ends and along sides. Cost - i was a bit off, a lot off. $4k and a lot of work. if a pre made one of size and strength i needed (tight spot i had to put it in) was available i would have given it a close look. I ended up using canopy fittings from ysbw.com, heavy gauge galvanized fence pipe. Made a 2x3 x 3/16 rectangle tube base 27 feet long and 12.5 feet wide. Buried class 8 truck brake drums with large brake rotor welded to bottom 24 inches in the dirt with 4 inch square tubing welded to base of rotor and 1 inch threaded rod welded to that to stick out of gravel drive about 6 inches. each of the 9 assemblies weigh approximately 200#s for about 1,800 #s of metal scrap buried in my gravel drive. Then bolted the base rail 2x3 tube to that, welded 3 inch tall x 1.2 inch diameter stubs to base in 8 spots each side and one on closed end, built roof sections on the ground and raised up roof sections one at a time with homemade 16 foot tall crane boom on a 1946 Willys jeep, inserted wall pipes into roof section and over the 3 inch stubs. then drilled 400 plus holes to pin it all together with 5/16 bolts. I had a buddy plasma cut 72 - 3/16 steel tabs with holes in them that i pre welded to the galvanized pipe to bolt in collar tie at the peak, knee braces at roof rafter pipe to wall pipe, and at wall pipes for angle bracing for racking support and a few along the outside of wall pipes near the roof rafter for braces anchored to ground to give it side to side support looking at it from the entry end. Frame is solid and if it blows out of the ground, look out! there will be some metal flying. Tarp is 18 oz vinyl coated polyester that comes 60 inch wide. Bout 140 feet of it or so. glued it together with 2 inch overlap for an approximately 19 foot by 30 foot tarp. WHew - if i had to do it again, i would buy a tarp pre made. The whole project was great marital bonding exercise. The whole reason i doing a canvas type tent is there are a dozen others in my neighborhood so how can i be told to take mine down. Yeah mine is the tallest at 13-6 tall, but who's counting. Hope this helps someone other. I dealt with ysbw because they actually answer the phone verse some other internet suppliers of fittings. Base metal was $850, canopy fitting $850, pipes $1,500, canopy mtl, glue, bolts, paint, beer $1,000. Hope to have canopy on in a few weeks.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:

Steel is out of sight and not expected to come down anytime soon. Same for all materials, buy any plywood lately?

Ha, thankfully I haven't had a need to buy wood or steel product this year. I can't afford either!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

tiptoptune
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Spoon059 for the link and info. I think a metal roof structure will have potential to be flagged by the county. A lot of neighbors have fabric shelter logic carports very near the road and in the set back so i following suit. And where i park it is about 8 feet lower elevation than the road and trees so it will be partial hidden. Probably going to build it myself. Been doing some rough draft drawings and materials list. Probably going to be fully welded design where I weld 6 or 7 "A" frame side and roof assemblies with a jig, stand up individually to a base plate then weld ridge round tube for smooth fabric transition and to tie all together, 2x2x1/8 or 14 gauge square tube, gable type roof, 16 feet at peak, 13 high clearance, 12 wide and 28 long, free standing and staked into gravel driveway. Burgundy colored 18 oz vinyl coated polyester will cover the roof and wrap down the side a foot for this winter. Then will add black mesh sunscreen fabric down the side to 3-4 feet off the ground for dust protection. We are on gravel roads and the dust is bad. Using a mesh type thinking some wind will pass through and lessen wind load. Then may do a small rustic wood fence 4 feet high on the road side. Trying to match the architecture of the house and not look hokie. I checked steel prices near me today, have line on fabric and $2k including beer should cover it. Still interested in hearing from anyone that has done one themselves. And from those that bought a fabric type one on what design features you like (fabric attachment system, did it blow away, handle snow, other) and what does not work. I should have done this 15 years ago for our old TC. This new Bigfoot TC was not inexpensive and we want to keep the shine.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
https://alansfactoryoutlet.com/co-nm-carport-prices/

I bought one of these about 7 years ago for my trailer. I paid $2400 for mine back then (18x30, 10' legs), currently it is priced at $6800!!!

Hopefully some of that is inflation and supply chain based increases that will eventually settle back down. They are designed for the snow and wind load of your area, which is why they have separate pricing for Colorado in the link I sent you. I'm very happy with my carport, keeps my roof clean and dry and the sun off of it 310-320 days a year. My 7 year old camper is still in very good shape as a result!

Steel is out of sight and not expected to come down anytime soon. Same for all materials, buy any plywood lately?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://alansfactoryoutlet.com/co-nm-carport-prices/

I bought one of these about 7 years ago for my trailer. I paid $2400 for mine back then (18x30, 10' legs), currently it is priced at $6800!!!

Hopefully some of that is inflation and supply chain based increases that will eventually settle back down. They are designed for the snow and wind load of your area, which is why they have separate pricing for Colorado in the link I sent you. I'm very happy with my carport, keeps my roof clean and dry and the sun off of it 310-320 days a year. My 7 year old camper is still in very good shape as a result!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
magicbus wrote:
Any reason you donโ€™t just get something like an Aqua Shed truck camper cover and call it a day? Before I built a barn for my Class B I used these on a Class A and a DP. Much easier and legal in setbacks

Dave

Because with an avg of 300+ inches of snow where he lives, guessing he doesn't want to clear the snow off of it twice a week for half the year.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Any reason you donโ€™t just get something like an Aqua Shed truck camper cover and call it a day? Before I built a barn for my Class B I used these on a Class A and a DP. Much easier and legal in setbacks

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
What county are you inโ€ฆ some of them got really crappy. About 25 year ago a friend built a DETACHED garage in Teller Co. and the inspector made him dynamite into bedrock to pour a stem wall.
The Springs cracked down last year on car shelters that werenโ€™t at least 5โ€™ from the sidewalk. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Shelter Logic
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
tiptoptune wrote:
Shelbyfv - get to Minnesota already.... EH!
:B I hope to!