cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lowering 2 inches w/o lowering tow capacity

dnathan71
Explorer
Explorer
I want to buy a tow vehicle that will fit into my garage, and like the Ford E350 Super Duty @ 10K towing capacity. The problem: It is 1 1/2 inches too tall for our standard garage.

Lower profile tires would fix that, but I've been told that I won't find any stout enough for towing.

I've read that I can replace the factory leaf spring mounts to lower the van 1 1/2 to 2 inches without affecting towing capacity. (ref: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/06/pickup-trucks-101-lowering-your-truck.html)

Would either or both work?

-Dana
7 REPLIES 7

dnathan71
Explorer
Explorer
I'm blown away by the wise and thoughtful responses from you guys. Wow. Thank you.

It looks like airbags would cost around $700-$800. I imagine replacing shackles would be less, but I don't know how much. I'll look into it.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
If the shackles are in tension, longer shackles will lower the van, effecting little else. If the axle is under the spring, and there is clearance in the wheel wells, moving the axle above the spring would lower the rear the height of the axle + the height of the spring pack. A third option would be pulling some leafs out and replacing them with airbags.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
If its a frame garage, it may be cheaper to make the garage door taller

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Your proposed method will not work on the E-series. There are no lift blocks, and the shackles are already underslung.

What might get you enough drop is removing the lowest leaf spring, aka the "overload" spring. You then restore the spring capacity with a Firestone airbag kit.

Or, you can do full air-ride, but that might cost more than a bigger garage door.
http://dallassmithcorp.com
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know about the van, but on the F350 trucks you can replace the 4" blocks under the springs with 2" blocks. Had that done on a previous 2007 F350. May be the same on the vans.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Rear suspension is easy enough to lower, you can remove the 350 spring block and put in a 250 spring block, or even a smaller block, you can get the springs re-arched, different things can be done. The front is harder. You have the twin I-beam suspension on the E350, lowering it will change the camber, you will probably have issues with the bump stops, etc. I have read of modified I-beams that accommodate those issues.
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unfortunately, you're pretty much stuck with the stock tires or bigger to have the weight capacity for hauling and towing. The smaller and lower a tire gets, the less weight capacity it has.

You need more than 0 inches clearance to get the van in the door. That's something you might want to consider if you haven't already.

Another issue is, a van is not exactly a truck. It's enough different that the lowering kits you can purchase commercially may or may not fit, or may or may not give you the height difference you need.

Auto manufacturers just don't see enough of the "big family, big trailer" crowd to make it profitable to produce a vehicle that's suitable for both hauling a big family and towing the big trailer it takes to house them.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.