cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Dual Cam Verses Pro-Pride

backlater
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at this and we just purchased an Airstream 25 foot travel trailer and a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. We are wondering which hitch would be better a Reese Dual Cam or a Pro-Pride. Is the Reese Dual Cam enough or are we still going to get sway? My husband thinks the Dual Cam will be sufficient, but I am a scardy cat and I don't want any sway. I would appreciate any input from the experienced pros out there...thanks! - Ruth
16 REPLIES 16

maztec1
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Dual Cam is awesome when properly set-up. We upgraded to this system a few years ago and could not be more pleased. We have 32ft Trailer and and 07 2500HD.

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a Reese D.C. to a ProPride and love the ProPride.If you can afford it go for it.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been towing a 29' TT weighing just under 7K lbs with a 3/4 ton and have the Reese DC with trunnion bars. I really like it, and the self-centering action is nice. We just upgraded to a new TT of the same length and weight. I haven't installed the cam arm brackets yet and wasn't sure how it would handle. We're out on our first camping trip this weekend and got onto the interstate for a short distance. I found when I got up to around 60 mph, it just didn't feel comfortable so I am going to install the cam arms as soon as I can. When the DC is all set up and dialed in right, there is no noticeable sway and it's very steady and comfortable.

Having the 3/4 ton helps quite a bit and along with a 25' TT, I can't see the need to spend big $$ on a fancier WDH.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
In going from a regular weight dist hitch to a Pro Pride after eight years, I can assure you the difference is night and day. With my previous setup, I had to be at complete attention at all times. I don't mean to say that I'm driving along with a burger in one hand, texting, and changing the radio station simultaneously. But I'd arrive at our destination exhausted from being on constant high alert. Always have to keep aware of passing trucks, gusty winds, etc.

It took me a couple of years to talk myself into the $2,000 for the Pro Pride (used Hensleys are usually available on Craigslist for a lot less). Towing is so much easier now that I arrive relaxed and ready to have fun, not collapsing from the stress of driving.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
backlater wrote:
We are new at this and we just purchased an Airstream 25 foot travel trailer and a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. We are wondering which hitch would be better a Reese Dual Cam or a Pro-Pride. Is the Reese Dual Cam enough or are we still going to get sway? My husband thinks the Dual Cam will be sufficient, but I am a scardy cat and I don't want any sway. I would appreciate any input from the experienced pros out there...thanks! - Ruth

Hi Ruth,

To your first question, which is better? For trailer sway mitigation, the mechanical concept of the Pro pride or Hensley hitch when working correctly, will out perform the DC. This is an uncontested fact by the way the 2 hitches work.

To the 2nd question, is the DC enough? The DC is a good piece of towing equipment and when setup correctly, on a properly balanced camper with the proper size truck and tires on the truck, it is a very good system.

Your 2500HD is a very good truck, your Airsteam is a good towing camper from it's aerodynamics. If the camper is balanced correctly and the tires on the truck are aired up correctly for towing, from my towing experience the DC will do a good job your you. It will take a level of understanding on any anti sway hitch to set it up correct and the DC needs to be set up correctly or it can give you problems same as the Propride.

Towing a camper is a serious thing, a lot can go wrong and should be taken serious. However through towing education, learning, proper towing setup, it can be a enjoyable and safe experience.

I have several friends who have the Hensley system and it is not because they had to have it, but because they wanted it. Even to the experienced tower, the premium hitches offer advantages.

If you start with the DC,and educate yourself on it, it will do good for you. If you find you want to take towing to the next level of risk mitigation, you can sell the Reese system on Craig's list and upgrade to the Pro Pride. I will say to shy away from the Reese round bar system with the DC and to get the Reese Trunnion bar system with the DC. The Reese round bar hitch head does have some shortcomings when the DC is added. The trunion bar system offers more advantages.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new camper.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
This post is from someone who had a ProPride and replaced it with a Reese Dual Cam Strait Line.

Ron

I had a dual cam and replaced with a ProPride ๐Ÿ™‚ Couldn't be happier.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
IMO a PP or HA are only needed when you can't dial in any other WDH. Or you like having the best WDH even though it's not needed. You have a 3/4 ton truck weighing 7000-8000lbs towing a TT with a GVW of around 7000lbs.
Properly set up you should have zero sway. If you can find a used HA for $600.00 and it has the right stinger then I'd get one. But no way would I spend $2500.00 if I didn't have to. The Reese or even an EQ (which is way easier to setup) would work fine.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
Drbolasky wrote:
I've been towing our rig with the DC setup for 12 years. It is more than adequate.

Set up is straight-forward but DO follow the instructions to the letter. I found it helpful to take the rig for some test-drives experimenting with differing numbers of links under tension/ball mount angle, etc.

I just installed a Reese DC but havn't had a chance to tow with it any distance as yet. What are you looking for when differing the number of links? Thanks

How much weight is distributed is partly controlled by the number of links under tension on the DC. BTW, more is not always better. It is the balance of weight distributed to the truck axles that is key.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Drbolasky wrote:
I've been towing our rig with the DC setup for 12 years. It is more than adequate.

Set up is straight-forward but DO follow the instructions to the letter. I found it helpful to take the rig for some test-drives experimenting with differing numbers of links under tension/ball mount angle, etc.

I just installed a Reese DC but havn't had a chance to tow with it any distance as yet. What are you looking for when differing the number of links? Thanks
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the size of your trailer, only 25 feet and that it is aerodynamic, I think you'd have few issues with a HD truck like you have regardless of the type of hitch used. A Dual Cam would be more than adequate.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The DC is an excellent sway control hitch. it does a great job of keeping my 35ft trailer directly behind my Excursion. you will have great results with a 25ft trailer!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Dual Cam is a excellent integrated WD/sway control hitch. I have been very satisfied with mine.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Pro Pride and Hensley are amazing pieces of technology. The design has been sold about 21 years or so.

Before the Hensley came along the top WD hitch with sway control was the Dual-Cam sway control from Reese. As a matter of fact many old airstreams are bought with old dual cam arms installed on the trailer.

Either are fine hitches and will get the job done. Your hubby is correct DC is more than enough.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~