cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

renting out your RV? Success stories? Issues?

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Through no fault of my own i find myself with THREE campers. A completely restored 1976 GMC motorhome, a hybrid trailer (with an excursion to pull it) and a Sprinter van conversion

The van conversion is in progress and I think it will be the one that really meets our needs.

None of these are high value and pristine. I just retired. I need another revenue stream.

I'm looking at Outdoorsey but there are also options where you can provide insurance roadside yourself through a 3rd party.

Usually when this comes up people scream that it's crazy and they'd never do it. Meanwhile Outdoorsey is moving a lot of RVs so somebody most be doing it.

I'd love to hear from you
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
51 REPLIES 51

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
You've got a pretty big attitude.

You have found every response here to be worthless, except for Matt Collie. Even folks who did not boohoo your idea but offered practical suggestions (insurance, etc) are worthless. You don't need advice. You've got it all figured out.

You have a 46 year old motorhome, but YOURS is special. Yours is not some other worthless old piece of **** like all the others. Yours will attract special renters who will take care of your RV and baby it out on the road.

Right. That attitude pretty much guarantees your enterprise to be a disaster.

Good luck.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Pbutler97 wrote:

Or perhaps a different demographic.

Yup, i'm beginning to think that might be the case, and it's sad.

I've been ere a long time. It seems to have changed in the last few years as forums have generally been displaced by facebook and reddit.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

Pbutler97
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
You are very quick to point out you werenโ€™t asking for opinions, fine. But I notice there is a complete lack of what you claim to be looking for, which was success stories. Perhaps thatโ€™s because there arenโ€™t very many.

No significant failure stories either. But someone is renting these things. It would appear those people are not in this forum.

I already know some people are succeeding at this. A big Class A in my town, and a Van Life type with a conversion similar to mine, both have told me it's working pretty well.

I was seeking a bigger data set.

Or perhaps a different demographic.

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
You are very quick to point out you werenโ€™t asking for opinions, fine. But I notice there is a complete lack of what you claim to be looking for, which was success stories. Perhaps thatโ€™s because there arenโ€™t very many.

No significant failure stories either. But someone is renting these things. It would appear those people are not in this forum.

I already know some people are succeeding at this. A big Class A in my town, and a Van Life type with a conversion similar to mine, both have told me it's working pretty well.

I was seeking a bigger data set.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
As I said before, I have done it. For years we owned an rv rental business. Renting your own rv is a bad idea. It will get damaged, accelerated depreciation, etc etc. If you don't care about it then what you literally end up doing is trading cash for an RV worth much less.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given where you are at, how about looking into parking it seasonally in a campground geared to your potential customers and then renting it out thru Airbnb or similar? You park it, set it up and rent it out. People get the "camping experience" without having to actually having a camper or driving it. At the end of the rental season, bring the rigs back home. I would suggest you hit up Pinterest and do a search for Airbnb rental tips or similar wording.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well, the only way to know is to rent them out and see how it goes.
My opinion is similar to many here in that old and antique โ€œvehiclesโ€ probably donโ€™t make for good rentals for a few reasons.
Guessing itโ€™s not too hard to up the insurance and slap them on Outdoorsy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
midnightsadie wrote:
thats what the repair shop said, with there proof I won my law suit.

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Those "people with NO experience" just might be the ones that you DO want to listen to, as they are the ones that have chosen to not rent theirs out after weighing all the factors relative to it. Be grateful for any legitimate input you receive.

That made me laugh.

This thing that LOTS of people are doing (15,000 owners on Outdoorsy, 100,000 on RV share) Is a terrible idea according to people who have never done it.

I don't ask people who don't have a passport about travel to Ethiopia.

i know the vast majority of RV owners would never rent it out. most won't loan their camper to family members.

Which is why i did not ask "is this a good idea"
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
hertfordnc wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
There seems to be universal disapproval on this forum for this idea, but you seem to have your mind made up. Since they are your RVs, do with them as you wish. Good luck.

That would be valid if i was asking for approval. I asked for specific experience and several people with NO experience felt the need to provide their opinion anyway.

It's the nature of social media but it's sad that has it crept into this great forum.

The only meaningful input came from Matt Collie who happens to be one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding my particular 50 year old motorhome.

I don't have my mind made up but nothing in this conversation added to my decision making one way or the other.

Those "people with NO experience" just might be the ones that you DO want to listen to, as they are the ones that have chosen to not rent theirs out after weighing all the factors relative to it. Be grateful for any legitimate input you receive.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I firmly disagree that someone renting an old rig on the cheap will be more careful but not my loss.

Have you ever driven a GMC?

THis is not some lumbering Pace Arrow on an overloaded Didge chassis.

- I think people will pay a premium for the cool factor. Or they won't- but it won't go out cheap.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
hertfordnc wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

The items in bold suggest not doing it with these units. Expect hard use and abuse on something you love. If you want to get into this business, go buy a cheap unit you care nothing for and keep it good enough to be functional.

The hybrid is 14 years old, we paid $4K (right before the covid wave hit) It's got some wear and tear and a bit more will not lower its value.

The GMC was given to me after the owner paid to have it restored and upgraded then he got sick and parked it. I took it out of mothballs and got it all working right but I have very little investment.

Also, i think someone who would risk their vacation to a 50 year old vehicle might be a little more careful.

The van conversion is a work in progress but sprinters are hard to kill just driving it. - (very easy to kill by deferred maintenance)

If there really is no sentimental value, go for it. A $4k 14yr old unit is what I would be looking at if I was wanting to get into the RV rental business.

I firmly disagree that someone renting an old rig on the cheap will be more careful but not my loss.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
There seems to be universal disapproval on this forum for this idea, but you seem to have your mind made up. Since they are your RVs, do with them as you wish. Good luck.

That would be valid if i was asking for approval. I asked for specific experience and several people with NO experience felt the need to provide their opinion anyway.

It's the nature of social media but it's sad that has it crept into this great forum.

The only meaningful input came from Matt Collie who happens to be one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding my particular 50 year old motorhome.

I don't have my mind made up but nothing in this conversation added to my decision making one way or the other.
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB