Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires for Towing with my Fifthwheel

losmt21
Explorer
Explorer
hello, Guys

Just a couple of questions concerning what are the best tires for fifthwheel towing. I currently have a 2012 f250 truck with 20 inchs wheels. The current Size is lt275/65r20 still factory tires on the truck. My fifthwheel is right at 12,000 lbs Total loaded up. Would it be better to replace the tires with the same size and or go up to larger tires with the same rims. I know I need E range tires and 10 ply however will larger tires help and be more safe towing the 5th Wheel. I am not set on any particular brand and Don;t mind paying extra for a good set.
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
I just put these on my F350 with 20" wheels
4080lbs capacity but they are noisy. Only have about 400 miles on them so far so no real opinions yet (except noise)

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Chicken or the egg thing or what ever...it's the amount of air pressure in the tires that allows for extra capacities, however a higher rated tire allows for more weight. So! You can use e rated tires but if you don't take full advantage of their load carrying capacities by using proper air pressures then all for naught and down the crapper we go.

losmt21
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Going to larger tires will only make your effective gear ratio higher (numerically lower) and actually bog you down compared to the OEM size.

As long as your OEM tires have the load capacity to handle the rear axle weight, you should be good as you are

Mitch

Okay that does make sure my tires do have the correct load capacity. So with that being said I will go with the same factory size tires. That helps a lot I prefer larger tires but having a fifthwheel changes that and no big deal it's worth the sacrifice . Steve

Thanks!!'

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Going to larger tires will only make your effective gear ratio higher (numerically lower) and actually bog you down compared to the OEM size.

As long as your OEM tires have the load capacity to handle the rear axle weight, you should be good as you are..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an '06 F350 and am pulling a slighter heavier trailer then you have and also have 3750lb rated tires. They work fine and weights are under the max rating. I'd stay with the same size as they have an adequate rating.

losmt21
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
12,000 lbs! Wow. Seems a tad much for a 3/4 ton. JMHO.

12,000LBS total weight, the dry #9760 I haven't had a chance to weight it fully loaded which I will soon. The trucks does squat a little however air bags will be installed tomorrow.

losmt21
Explorer
Explorer
Peg Leg wrote:
How many pounds are those tires rated for? Sounds to be more show than tow.

They are rated for 3750 lbs.

80 psi

My Fifthwheel is #9760 Dry , I haven't weighted the camper since Its fully loaded. I will be doing that very soon. I was under the impression to keep the Total LOADED weight below 12,000 and I will be okay. It tows very well on the interested crusing 65-70 mile per hour. Just looking at getting the best possible tires.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Its not the GVWR of the travel traler but the tounge weight. You factory tires are rated most likely for your axle rate and its just a mater of correct air pressure in the tires. They most likely fine for the payload capacity of the truck.

Look on the sidewall of your tires and post back the weight rating at max PSI. Then open the door and look at the rear axle weight and tell use that #...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
How many pounds are those tires rated for? Sounds to be more show than tow.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
12,000 lbs! Wow. Seems a tad much for a 3/4 ton. JMHO.