cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel with fridge on

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling with the fridge on, how long do you stop without shutting it off if parked in a out of level situation
2004 Born Free class c
20 REPLIES 20

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The heat source does not matter. Permanent irreversible damage can happen in 15 minutes.

ford-willy wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I thought the out of level refrig damage issue only applied when on propane. The flame when burning "off center" can do damage to the unit. So if that is correct, and if you have generator capabilities, just run the refrig on 120v while stopped and significantly off level. The electric coil heater does not need level. Is that correct? ------ Of course many people dont have generator capabilities.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
3oaks wrote:
We leave ours ON when stopping for pit stops and lunch breaks along the way even if out of level. Going on 10 years without a problem.

This.

we leave ours on also. we have never been 'that out of level' and in over 20 plus years no problems.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
No need to worry unless you a parked on a steep incline. Relatively level is good enough. If it is level enough to walk normally throughout the RV you are fine.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
You mean there's a off switch?

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
ford-willy wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I thought the out of level refrig damage issue only applied when on propane. The flame when burning "off center" can do damage to the unit. So if that is correct, and if you have generator capabilities, just run the refrig on 120v while stopped and significantly off level. The electric coil heater does not need level. Is that correct? ------ Of course many people dont have generator capabilities.

I believe you're wrong. Damage to a frig from being off level has nothing to do with the source of power. There is a rust inhibitor in the lines and being significantly off level can cause that inhibitor to solidify and block the lines. The motion from driving doesn't allow the inhibitor to solidify.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ford-willy wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I thought the out of level refrig damage issue only applied when on propane.

Incorrect - has nothing to do with the source of heat energy but rather liquid ammonia accumulating in the evaporator tubing. From my Dometic DM2652 User Manual ...

"LEVELING THE REFRIGERATOR

Leveling is one of the requirements for proper operation with absorption refrigerators. To ensure proper leveling the vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no
noticeable sloping of floor or walls). Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent loss of cooling. If the refrigerator is operated when it is not level and the vehicle is not moving, liquid ammonia will accumulate in sections of the evaporator tubing. This will slow the circulation of hydrogen and ammonia gas, or in severe cases, completely block it, resulting in a loss of cooling. When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in the evaporator tubing."
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Less than 20 minutes of operating an absorption fidge out of level can cause overheating which causes sodium chromate to crystallize which then plates out on inside of cooling unit tubing which results in blockage which causes overheating, more crystallizing, more plating etc .............damage is PERMANENT and ACCUMULATIVE

Off-level operation disrupts the 'gravity flow' of coolant regardless of heat source.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution: if in doubt, just shut the fridge off. Takes only a moment to restart it.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
stop worrying about it. we never turn ours off, only for fueling up the rv.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is always on unless winter. Most parking lots and rest stops are level enough for the fridge. If I can't walk comfortably in the parking lot I won't park there.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I usually leave mine on and most of the time even at home I have never had any trouble with any I have owned. However as stated the new ones are designed to keep the items cold for 8 hours (as stated by the manufacturer)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I never shut mine down from the first trip in the spring until the last trip in the fall. The original fridge is 13 years old still works fine.
I do try to park on level ground.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Before I had the ARP protection device I shut down my fridge or drove in circles in the parking lot until I found a level spot.

Now I still try for level--but I'm far less concerned.

And yes, damage can happen in 15 minutes.

Replacement cost for my fridge is $3000.00
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.