cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

98 itasca suncruiser f53 ford chassis 460 v8 .won't start

Haroldsietsma
Explorer
Explorer
Help I have replaced the starter and the battery. I turn the key all I get is a clicking sound under the hood or dash area. Is there a relay or a cellanoid i need to also replace that i can't locate. Thanx butch
4 REPLIES 4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Every Ford I've worked on has a remote solenoid. Start by finding it and jumping it. Might be where the clicking is coming from (or could be another component).
It's possible the replacement starter is bad, and more likely than one might think (I went through 3 Napa alternators in the same hour a couple years ago....lol)
Or start at the starter and trace it back, checking voltage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Crawl under and tap the starter solenoid with a hammer; it may have frozen up from little use.

Good suggestion, but check the connections at the starter solenoid near the battery and the battery terminals. If they are the least bit suspect, disassemble and clean them.

While you are underneath with your hammer, check the connections on the big cable to the starter. Again, if the least bit suspect, disassemble and clean.

Once all connections are clean, then do the "tap" test.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crawl under and tap the starter solenoid with a hammer; it may have frozen up from little use.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should reply to the earlier post.
Did you check the starter solenoid, did you find it.
Trace the big cable from starter back to the starter solenoid.
Is the battery disconnect on?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker