cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge stopped geting cold on electric

Ojibwa53
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic #2652 stopped getting cold on electric power source, can hear the fan running all the time . Turn switch to gas and it fridge went back to running normal . I unpluged, check fuses, checked thermister on fin. turn back to electric and it ran normal for 4 days then stopped getting cold again, no check light came on, fan just kept running all the time again. So I switch back to gas and it is running normal again. Any ideas on whats going on, snowbirding in FL. till April.
8 REPLIES 8

towhead
Explorer
Explorer
assuming you have 110 at the plug, look for loose connections the ....
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Check light will only come on if gas fails....nothing to do with electric failing.

5A fuse on lower board is for electric heating element.
Electric heating element could be bad (unplugged and tested at leads....S/B 44 ohms)
Check 110V AC power at outlet fridge is plugged into
Check for AC power at lower circuit board
J5----AC line voltage (Black)
J6----AC neutral line (White)
J7----AC neutral out to AC heater
J8----AC line out to AC heater Switched side
Could be bad AC circuit, bad connection on plug(s) outlet and on board, could be bad lower board

Testing for AC power and where it isn't will ID probem vs just throwing parts at it
Dave
2005 GMC Duramax 4x4 crew cab
2005 Cruiser CF28RL

Ojibwa53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. will try the drop light tomorrow see if the plug is bad. also will borrow a Ohm meter to test circuits, checked lower fuses already, all good. Check light never came on ether AC or gas (which doesn't light anyway). I have a surge protector hook up at the shore pole,( think maybe its not getting enough power to the fridge? ) I've used 30 protector since rig was new in 2011.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow! we must be getting better....a full page of helpful hints and not one suggests pulling it out for a residential......:W.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOrks fine on Gas, not on electric.

4 suspects in physical order

1: No electric (breaker, wiring fault, check using test lamp (Drop lamp or trouble lamp) at outlet in outside compartment
2: No electric (Plug fell out of socket, see 1)
3: Bad control board. Not closign 120 volt relay or bad relay
4: Bad heat element or wires to heat element bad (Suspect #1 by the way).

To test.
Start by unplugging the 120 volt plug and plugging in a test lamp.. LIGHT good, dark bad

Now using test leads and some care and caution DO NOT TOUCH EXPOSED METAL
attach clip leads to the heat element leads Either end is ok, the other end of the clip leads goes to teh test lamp.. INSULATE THE PLUG (I like to shove it in a plastic container with lid) and plug the unit back in, Switch to AC and see if the light, lights (NOTE Fridge must be warm enough to turn on) If light lights, ti's the heat element, if fridge hits 45 degrees with T-Stat set to coldest and light is NOT on, it is the control board

Dinosaur boards are best.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check light will only come on if gas fails....nothing to do with electric failing.

5A fuse on lower board is for electric heating element.
Electric heating element could be bad (unplugged and tested at leads....S/B 44 ohms)
Check 110V AC power at outlet fridge is plugged into
Check for AC power at lower circuit board
J5----AC line voltage (Black)
J6----AC neutral line (White)
J7----AC neutral out to AC heater
J8----AC line out to AC heater Switched side
Could be bad AC circuit, bad connection on plug(s) outlet and on board, could be bad lower board

Testing for AC power and where it isn't will ID probem vs just throwing parts at it
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Check is ONLY if it does not light on LP. There is no indication of a 120 control problem. Other than no cool. If your line voltage drops below about 104 volts it will go to LP but continue cooling correctly. If the line voltage is between 104 and 110, the heat element will not be as hot as it should be. Low line voltage will cause a Heat Element to not heat to its full potential. Heat Elements either work or do not. Have you checked your 120 voltage when this happens? Doug

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bad heating element (or something in the heating circuit).
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I did a little research, and this seems to be the best troubleshooting I could find for the 2652.

Dometic 2652 troubleshooting
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)