cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU2000i pulling too much fuel from extended tank

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I rigged up a marine tank to extend the run time and the generator is sucking too much fuel since I pulled off the cranky primer bulb and it will actually overfill the on board tank. I got a new primer bulb to install and I will see if that helps. It worked fine for YEAR but the needle in the primer bulb started sticking. What else would you consider or check?
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer
23 REPLIES 23

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
In my stash of emergency stuff I carry some of this:
Fuel tank and Radiator
And JB weld also.
The aux. system must be air tight up to the aux. tank filler cap and it must be open to allow air to get in. It is best to start with a FULL Honda tank. Aux. tank sitting on the ground should work with the Honda.
Good luck,
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
So, I didn't pick up Seal All in time for my January camping trip so I just threw a lot of silicone around the connections and, while I made a mess, it got me through the weekend. I bit the bullet and bought one of the machined gas caps from Amazon, a brass fitting from Lowe's and finally found Seal All in stock at an Autozone. So, I set out to test plan A (gas cap and fitting) with plan B (Seall All) waiting in the wing. The generator just ran dry, so I elevated the gas tank and it's running again. We will see about leaking gas later as I need to give the generator time to pull/gravity time to push a whole gallon.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I get to work on this again Sunday, so I will pick up some Seal All and see what I can do. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is leaking where the hose enters the cap.. SEAL ALL, which is very close to the original DUCO model cement (Current Duco is something else entierly) is resistant to gasoline,, Very resistant to gasoline, It is a miracle sealant.

I one spent a week in a tent, Well it rained and sure enough there were some pin holes drip, dripping on we inside the tent, A bit of Seal All on the end of a finger wiped onto the hole and no leak no more.. Same with a leaking gas tank, It stops the leak IN PROGRESS and its resistant to gasoline.

Worked great both conditions.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone isn't the best you can use it has a tendency to lossen around gas. I would use an epoxy like JB Weld.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Those gummint approved gas cans, that have you press down on the gas tank inlet, can cause the plastic to indent. Look at surface where the gas cap seals and make sure it is still flat and smooth. Next shop at yard sales and get a real gas can with a vent.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:
Thanks guys (and maybe some other gals) for picking up on the fact I am a woman...I am guessing that the fuel line on my original setup was enough bigger that the drilled hole fit it snuggly...I may have even put Teflon tape or something else around it. I will be able to test my silicon seal in a few weeks and will buy a machined cap if that doesn't work. Thanks again for all of your help.
it's sounding like you just drilled a hole in the cap and stuck in a hose.. Is that right?

Go for the machined cap and your problem will vanish. As it is now you have a serious fire hazard when gas starts pouring out the top when you're not looking.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Prowler_Doug
Explorer
Explorer
rjf7g wrote:
Yes - it is leaking out around the cap. So, there is an air leak, but in my previous setup there was as well. I have tried changing the height of the marine tank and it overfills when I place it above and fails to pull any when I don't. So, I should be airtight at the Honda cap and simply vent the marine tank?

Thanks for help with this. I thought with the primer bulb that I would be able to get the gas pull started and then maybe the Honda fuel pump would take over...

This setup *used to* work perfectly!

Doesn't need to be elevated.
2005 1500 Hemi Ram
2007 Fleetwood Prowler Classic 240 RKS

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys (and maybe some other gals) for picking up on the fact I am a woman...I am guessing that the fuel line on my original setup was enough bigger that the drilled hole fit it snuggly...I may have even put Teflon tape or something else around it. I will be able to test my silicon seal in a few weeks and will buy a machined cap if that doesn't work. Thanks again for all of your help.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
She needs the proper cap. The original fuel cap is also sealed, but it has a vent on it you can open to let air in so the generator will run (True story about how the vent was closed omitted since it was not MY generator, but I "Fixed" it, (By suggesting they open the vent).

The extended run cap also seals tight but instead of a vent you can close it has a connection for the suction line. , if it's leaking, it's wrong.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
SHE... Had to drill a hole in the cap, thats where the draw tube is. SHE just needs a better seal or a commercially produced cap thats built for this purpose.
Jeff - WA6EQU

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldnt have drilled a hole in the cap. The way it works is that when running it creates a vacuum and that is why it draws fuel from the aux tank. Get a new cap or seal the hole you drilled and vent the aux tank and you will not have to elevate the aux tank.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
I am suprised it will suck fuel with it leaking. If everything is right you dont need the aux tank above the Honda.
It's not. He has the Aux tank elevated

I am a "she" and I have tried it with the tank elevated and with the tank on the ground. The picture is from my old setup that worked like a champ as it was pictured before I replaced the fuel line and eliminated the primer bulb. Now, when the tank is elevated, gas leaks from the hole I drilled into the Honda gas cap and when it is on the ground it doesn't seem to pull any gas. I tried putting the tank on 4x4s and that didn't work either.

So, I have sealed around the fuel line better with silicon and will work on it some more when I go back to my camper later this month. It's going to be WAY COLD this weekend, so I am staying home!

Thanks for all of the help and explanations about how it *should work*.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I am suprised it will suck fuel with it leaking. If everything is right you dont need the aux tank above the Honda.
It's not. He has the Aux tank elevated
Jeff - WA6EQU