cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power Converter issue

dustinplaw
Explorer
Explorer

Hi there, I had a quick question. I suspect that my power converter has failed. Can you unplug the power converter and use a battery charger while connected to shore power (battery charger not plugged into trailer but regular plug not on trailer) and have lights, fridge, etc work? I'm new to the RV world and any insight would be great. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Yes, you should not even have to disconnect the built in, just run a second battery charger in parallel

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Used an automotive battery charger to get by this spring while waiting for a replacement charger to come in. Just keep an eye on it as it's not really intended for continuous duty and ours would shut off occasionally once it thought the battery was full.

Feel free to use one of the 120v AC plugs on the RV. The converter going out should have no impact 120v AC power.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II

Yes, and there is no problem with plugging the battery charger into a plug in the trailer.

That's great. I am going on a 2 week trip next week and don't think I'll be able to get a new power converter in before.