Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

securing Televison in bedroom & connection questions

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I just finished installing a television in the bedroom of our 5th wheel. I put the TV mount right over the spot labeled and secured with lag screws.

My questions now are:

How can I best secure the TV while traveling? Do they make a kit with straps etc. for this purpose? Where is the best place to purchase?

The power was easy but now I need to connect a coax cable from one of the two jacks in the ceiling to the TV. We use satellite for our TV. If I connect to satellite I should get the same channel that is on in the living room TV right? Unless I get a seperate DISH reciever I have to watch wahatever is on the recevier in the living room.

Are there any tricks or problems etc I need to know about? My wife is excited to get the TV in the bedroom so I really need to make sure it works to keep her happy!

Thanks!
Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As for securing the TV in motion method 1.2. an 3

If that mount lets you lift it off and lay it face down on the bed.. Great

If it is a secure mount.. Great

Four lag-type Eye bolds sunk into solid wood two above two below and 4 Bungee cords one each straight up and down between the right and left lag's and the others crossed in front (I use just the crossed. but my mount is recessed).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
Hello,

I just finished installing a television in the bedroom of our 5th wheel. I put the TV mount right over the spot labeled and secured with lag screws.

My questions now are:

How can I best secure the TV while traveling? Do they make a kit with straps etc. for this purpose? Where is the best place to purchase?

The power was easy but now I need to connect a coax cable from one of the two jacks in the ceiling to the TV. We use satellite for our TV. If I connect to satellite I should get the same channel that is on in the living room TV right? Unless I get a seperate DISH reciever I have to watch wahatever is on the recevier in the living room.

Are there any tricks or problems etc I need to know about? My wife is excited to get the TV in the bedroom so I really need to make sure it works to keep her happy!

Thanks!
Dave

Currently I use a satellite receiver with the trailer that is not HD. It has two sets of S video connections, two sets of the yellow, red and white RCA connections on the back and one HDMI connection on the back. I connected the TV over the dinette where the receiver is located using one set of the RCA connections. I needed the HDMI connection for the DVD player.

I bought a 20 or 24 foot long flat cable with the yellow, red and white RCA connectors on the ends. I connected one end to the second set of RCA outputs on the satellite receiver, ran the cable over to the corner under the overhead cabinet, then along the bottom of the cabinet to the end of the cabinet next to the entry door, then up the side of the cabinet, then along the ceiling next to the wall over the entry door, then turn 90 degrees along the ceiling across the entryway to the bedroom and then along the ceiling over to the set of RCA connectors on the bedroom TV. I used wide plastic cable channel from the satellite receiver over to the cabinet to conceal and hold the cable along with the power cables for the DVD player TV and satellite receiver going to the wall plugs. I then used plastic P shaped wire clamps along the underside of the cabinet to secure the wire until I got to the ceiling. Then I used to staple gun with wide Staples and held it Loose against the cable as I stapled to keep from piercing the flat RCA cable to attach it to the ceiling about every 12 inches. Works for me.

When I strung the RCA cable to the bedroom 20 foot HDMI cables were running close to $100. I got the RCA cable at Radio Shack for about $20. I don't have HD satellite receivers so the HDMI cable is overkill. 20 foot HDMI cables are running a lot cheaper now.

As far as watching separate satellite programs on each TV there's only two ways to do it. You will need a dish that has a dual lnb for connecting two separate cables. One cable will need to go to the trailer satellite input connection. The second cable will need to go directly to the second receiver which will mean a separate entry into the trailer.

Another method is to use a special AC powered splitter that is specifically made to split the satellite signal before the signal goes to each receiver. You will need to connect it to the wall plate for the satellite signal coming in then split from it to each satellite receiver. Regular cable Splitters do not work for satellite. The signal coming through the cable from the dish is a dual signal and the receiver needs both signals to work. If you use a standard cable TV splitter one signal goes to each receiver. The powered splitter sends both signals to each receiver.

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out. Nyrius ARIES Home HDMI Digital Wireless Transmitter & Receiver for HD 1080p Video Streaming, Cable box, Satellite, Bluray, DVD, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Laptops, PC
Link to Amazon.com for this
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I used.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen some clever ideas to support a TV bouncing down the road. A lot of extensive searching of the archives on this board should yield results.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Correct, with one receiver both TVs will view the same show.

If your receiver has composite output - 3 RCA jacks - you can buy an inexpensive converter to coax, connect the BR TV to OTA jack and channel 4 or the one specified by the converter and you'll have SD viewing in the bedroom. Their might be a converter for component to coax also.

Or you can use HDMI over coax converters and HDMI splitter.

Or wireless HDMI converters and a HDMI splitter.

Or you can run a HDMI cable to the BR TV and use a HDMI splitter.

Or a second receiver for the BR TV and now the TVs can watch different channels.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I like to keep the TV on the bed when traveling.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
On televisions in RV's in the past 10 years that coax labeled SAT means you connect YOUR Sat receiver to that coax on the Sat input coax on the Sat receiver. The other Coax is from the roof top TV antenna. So, NO, the living room Sat box will not send the Sat signal to the Bedroom. Besides, very few Sat recievers now even have a COAX output for the TV. If you have a Reciever with a Coax ouput, you can rewire at the TV antenna booster to get the LR sat to go to the Bedroom thru the Roof Antenna coax. Doug

OK so now I'm even more confused.

I hook up my dish antenna (tailgater) to the input jack marked satellite on the side of my RV coax cable. I connect the input to the DISH receiver control box from the coax jack marked satellite using coax in the TV cabinet. I connect from the DISH box to my TV using HDMI cable. All of this is in the living room. Works great.

Now how can I watch TV in the bedroom? What connections or other items do I need? Do I need another DISH box? Sorry I thought it was easier than this.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On televisions in RV's in the past 10 years that coax labeled SAT means you connect YOUR Sat receiver to that coax on the Sat input coax on the Sat receiver. The other Coax is from the roof top TV antenna. So, NO, the living room Sat box will not send the Sat signal to the Bedroom. Besides, very few Sat recievers now even have a COAX output for the TV. If you have a Reciever with a Coax ouput, you can rewire at the TV antenna booster to get the LR sat to go to the Bedroom thru the Roof Antenna coax. Doug