cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Talk to me about inverters

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
What should I look for in a new inverter? I want it to care batteries,charge while driving. Amps? whats best? Thank you
17 REPLIES 17

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
stand alone inverters do NOT charge batteries

combo inverter/charger ... will charge batteries when 110vac is available either from shore power or generator power, ...

they do not charge from alternator while driving
that is a separate function of your chassis/engine electrical

are you thinking of TV and laptop and cellphone chargers ? 300w
or coffee maker and microwave 1200w to 2000w

Spot on with all of these statements. I will add a couple of comments.

โ€ข To make life (and wiring) less complicated, look into inverter/chargers with a built in automatic transfer switch. Some come with inputs for shore power AND generator power and can even start your generator. Check out Samlex EVO inverter/charger/transfer switches.

โ€ข Read this about charging while driving (DC-DC battery charging).

OP - dyno-mite! - You rated.....a pair of Wizards!..:C

~

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your answers and help

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
stand alone inverters do NOT charge batteries

combo inverter/charger ... will charge batteries when 110vac is available either from shore power or generator power, ...

they do not charge from alternator while driving
that is a separate function of your chassis/engine electrical

are you thinking of TV and laptop and cellphone chargers ? 300w
or coffee maker and microwave 1200w to 2000w

Spot on with all of these statements. I will add a couple of comments.

โ€ข To make life (and wiring) less complicated, look into inverter/chargers with a built in automatic transfer switch. Some come with inputs for shore power AND generator power and can even start your generator. Check out Samlex EVO inverter/charger/transfer switches.

โ€ข Read this about charging while driving (DC-DC battery charging).

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
1Longbow wrote:
I don't know much about them .old one was 1750 amp? Just thinking, that needing to replace it ,should I just go bigger. The old one did everything I need i guess.

that would be 1750-watts

if it has quit working, either inverting or charging

and you want to replace it ?

then 2000w Pure Sine Wave aka PSW

will do everything the 1750 did and have a little more power

IF for some reason the old just seems like it is still working but not as good as it used too

think about getting your batteries and the wiring connections
checked out, ... before spending money on a new inverter

it might be old worn batteries ?

new batteries could cost you more than a new inverter

be sure what you need before you spend the money on a new inverter
then find out you still have a problem and need new batteries

Good advice. Why throw money at something when the end result might just be a lightened wallet and no improvement.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
AllegroD wrote:
I woould suggest you see dependable professional.

This.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
For upgrading and invereter/charger, what size wiring you have is important. I woould suggest you see dependable professional.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would only look at pure sine wave units, I wouldn't mess with modified sine wave. You can get excellent inverter/chargers in several sizes from Magnum. Also I think Outback still makes a 12 volt mobile model, The FX2012MT. Either of these manufacturers should serve you well. I think Samlex also makes some inverter/charger units now but I haven't used one of them. I have experience with numerous Samlex inverters and have been very pleased with their performance.

MrWizard
1Longbow wrote:
I don't know much about them .old one was 1750 amp? Just thinking, that needing to replace it ,should I just go bigger. The old one did everything I need i guess.

that would be 1750-watts

if it has quit working, either inverting or charging

and you want to replace it ?

then 2000w Pure Sine Wave aka PSW

will do everything the 1750 did and have a little more power

IF for some reason the old just seems like it is still working but not as good as it used too

think about getting your batteries and the wiring connections
checked out, ... before spending money on a new inverter

it might be old worn batteries ?

new batteries could cost you more than a new inverter

be sure what you need before you spend the money on a new inverter
then find out you still have a problem and need new batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
While driving you need DC input from alternator - not AC from inverter.

Inverters are in watts, not amps.

Ipad and phone: any small inverter. 100W will do.
Coffee Maker: 800 to 1500W, depends on what coffee maker.
Microwave: 1500-1800W, depends on microwave.

Everything together - do the math. There are limits to what a battery bank can handle, too.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
1750 Watts was a common size of Xantrex MSW inverter 15 years ago. Some newer ones other brands that size too. It can run a microwave if strapped to enough battery bank and the microwave is willing to work on MSW.

There are smaller and bigger coffee-makers. Depends on watts size if the 1750 will do it. You can't run them both at the same time!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the answers. It would be use mostly for,microwave,coffee maker ,iPad,phone charging

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First forget Charge while driving that is not the inverter's job. The Tow Vehicle (Trailer) or Main engine (Motor home) alternator handles that via an isolator solenoid or device... As for the rest

You want a good 3-Stage Plus charger section. Programmable is best in case you change battery types. but not absolutely needed You also want one where you can set the max amprage to around 30 percent of your battery bank's C/20 amp hour rating (IE 440 amp hours (2 six volt pairs) 130 amps) or less (100 is fine)

And a True sine wave inverter TSW or PSW (another name for 'em) are nice clean Sine Wave devices everything works like it is supposed to no exceptions provided the inverter is big enough.

Finally you need to decide what "Big enough" means. And also your battery bank
1 pair of GC-2 Golf car batteries (200-220 amp hour) per Kilowatt of Inverter is MINIMUM recommended.

Just electronics (TV/Radio/Computer/Sat receivers.) 1000 watts or less. 500 may well do it.
Add the microwave kick it up to 2000 watts.

I do not recommend adding beyond that save for fans and the like but if you want to add air conditoners
1; You need a Diesel to carry that much battery
2: 30000 watts or more
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inverter / charger setups will charge your batteries while plugged in and become an inverter when you are not connected to shore power. If you want to charge your batteries while driving, that is handled by the engine alternator.
More details about your RV would be extremely helpful.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you mean the old one did everything? We don't know anything about your setup because you have no profile. 1750 amp makes no sense.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman