cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariffs On Solar Panel Imports Announced

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
But implementation date not firm...but it will be soon.

Please. No political comments which do not do a damned bit of good.

25% price increase on a thousand dollars of panels is not chickenfeed.

Other electronics are also affected.

Time to do your Christmas Stocking Stuffer shopping early.

Amplifications not solicited or desired...

Good buys and bargains are solicited....

Any snide remarks please kill the thread...
80 REPLIES 80

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
KD4UPL wrote:
So what news story is being referenced?
I've been in the solar business for many years. I've seen prices free fall for solar panels. Just 12 years ago my wholesale price on a panel was somewhere between $6 and $5 per watt. Now, if I buy in quantity from the right vendor I can get panels for under $.50 per watt. So, let's say the $.50 per watt goes up 25%, that makes it about $.63 per watt. That's still about an 1/8 of what I used to pay. I don't think it's that big a deal. I guess it's all in perspective.

Yep, I think a lot posters would like to know where this information is coming from.

Could we get a reference or article?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Trump actually knows very little about the geopolitical landscape and trade negotiations.
But he's real good at making us think he does.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
So we either let China and other countries **** on us forever,or do something to get their attention. Many people have complained about it but nothing was done. And then there are the many people who say they want to buy American. Well if you buy American,you don't have to worry about the tarrifs. And hopefully, we will get fairer trade deals.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those interested in solar power, and before they lock this thread:
UCLA engineering has developed a new solar cell with a record setting 22-percent incoming energy conversion.
Yang added that the technique of spraying on a layer of perovskite could be easily and inexpensively incorporated into existing solar-cell manufacturing processes.

https://samueli.ucla.edu/dual-layer-solar-cell-developed-at-ucla-sets-record-for-efficiently-generat...
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trump actually knows very little about the geopolitical landscape and trade negotiations.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
All this talk about solar panel and other imported stuff prices going up due to tariffs makes me wanna switch some of my IRA investments into a U.S. company (if I can find one) that makes RV generators.

I'm sure glad I already own four (4) generators and zero (0) solar panels (well almost zero solar panels ... I do have one dinky panel from C**na that quit working some time ago intended for charging my flip phone).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Zamp's pricing is way above my pay grade. $1150.00 for 12 amps and 68 dollars to ship plus ninety dollars tax.

This isn't my being cheap. That route leaves me no choice but to keep burning used dinosaurs for amperage. Or go without food or medicine for several months.

How is it that reed huts in Africa are being powered and we have "issues" over here?

And three drums of diesel now cost close to six hundred dollars? Makes a person want think about towing a big barge to Venezuela 😞

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
PUULLEEEEEEASE! NO NAMES! NO POLITICAL PARTIES. DOESN'T DO A DAMNED THING TO HELP FIND GOOD SOLAR PANELS !!!!!

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I installed solar on our home a few years ago. It was right at the time the Chinese were caught hacking our US government computers. I was not happy, figuring the next major war would be cyber in nature. So I bought American made panels. Total cost difference was around $1,000 on a $20,000 system. Everything about the panels are US made right down to the sand the glass is made of.

There's absolutely no reason to fund communist China. At least not when it comes to solar panels.

My panels are SolarWorld. Headquartered in Germany and manufactured for the US market in Oregon. Oh, and my panels are 300 watt commercial 72 cell panels, I need 2 fewer panels for my sizing compared to residential 60 cell panels, saving me enough on the other incidentals on the system to stay within $1,000 difference.

There's also a much better chance of a successful warranty claim with American/German panels than with some clone Chinese **** as well. Those Chinese companies come and go. SolarWorld has been in the business for 40 years.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
free radical wrote:

So why cant US goverment subsidise solar panel manufacturers also..?
Maybe they dont care about clean energy?:W

https://youtu.be/kVsosNzEpLQ

Very good video and it is Fact, but those problems were before Trump, he wants to rebuild America from the Mid-West to the East and West and wants us out of these wars and keep the money here.

However the past politians that want the old non working ways to continue needs to get out of his way so we can fix America..

Sorry if I find this ridiculously funny.

How would someone who thinks a country can just print money to spend expected to understand the more complicated and complex interconnected national supply chain and international trade? Example, Ford cars cross at least 6 times between Canada, Mexico and the US for the finally assembly. Toyotas that has 80% local (US) content, have other components coming from Japan, Mexico, Canada, Thailand or Malaysia.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
RTCastillo wrote:
ppine wrote:
We can't out compete every other country on every product. We have a world economy and should export what we are good at. Let the market decide. We have never been competitive in solar panel manufacturing compared to the Chinese.

Once you start tariff wars, it just guarantees that costs to consumers are going up.

Yup, you are exactly right. It’s called the “unique competitive advantage” of nations.

Germany is the best model. They cannot compete anymore in cheap widgets, so they focus on high quality precision items. They design their educational system in parallel tracks of college bound engineers and skills based trades.

We can do the same in high technology and alternative fuel except the political leadership wants to pander to the vote rich extractive and carbon-based sunsetting industries.

That to is only temporary, remember back in the 50's and 60's Japan made cheap stuff and no one worried than, than by the 90's they dominated the high end stuff as well, focusing on a few special high quality products will soon be made for 1/3 else where in 10 years..

I am with Trump, Fair Trade or No Trade...

🙂

It's not gonna be temporary for those who will lose their farm. As it was not for those who lost their homes in the last Great Recession.

Global economy is very competitive and countries and companies need to constantly innovate (our country, company and people's strength).

You snooze and you lose the market to someone else.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

Very good video and it is Fact, but those problems were before Trump, he wants to rebuild America from the Mid-West to the East and West and wants us out of these wars and keep the money here.

However the past politians that want the old non working ways to continue needs to get out of his way so we can fix America..

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
There are US manufacturers of high quality solar panels, Zamp Solar, for one.

Zamp is high quality? Please enlighten us.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
ppine wrote:
We can't out compete every other country on every product. We have a world economy and should export what we are good at. Let the market decide. We have never been competitive in solar panel manufacturing compared to the Chinese.

Once you start tariff wars, it just guarantees that costs to consumers are going up.

Yup, you are exactly right. It’s called the “unique competitive advantage” of nations.

Germany is the best model. They cannot compete anymore in cheap widgets, so they focus on high quality precision items. They design their educational system in parallel tracks of college bound engineers and skills based trades.

We can do the same in high technology and alternative fuel except the political leadership wants to pander to the vote rich extractive and carbon-based sunsetting industries.

That to is only temporary, remember back in the 50's and 60's Japan made cheap stuff and no one worried than, than by the 90's they dominated the high end stuff as well, focusing on a few special high quality products will soon be made for 1/3 else where in 10 years..

I am with Trump, Fair Trade or No Trade...

🙂

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
BFL13 wrote:

... some hippy who can't grow carrots at the "global price" for carrots, and make money. He can go find something else to do that does make money.

This is an idealized picture. Other than cutting trees in BC or digging oil in Alberta and selling all this to China, there isn't much one can do in Canadian resource economy. Our farmers and manufacturers can't grow or manufacture anything to make money at "global" (i.e., 3rd world) prices. Unless he is willing to work for LESS than Chinese, - because if he works for the same $2/hr, he won't benefit from exporting to the rest of the world like China does.

Back to the subject - kind of. Massive and well organized subsidies by Chinese govt was one of the factors in successful elimination of the competition in solar manufacturing. Political bureau so decided, orders were given, funds allocated. Planned and executed act.