cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all Forest River products garbage?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm in the process of researching small TTs and came across a couple of units made by Forest River that caught my attention. Actually, both models are identical but sold under the Salem Cruise Lite and Wildwood X Lite.

I was very surprised to see so many negative comments made by existing Forest River owners that I'm thinking I may be better off to steer clear from Forest River products altogether.

The following link has over 150 complaints covering practically every single type of RV made by Forest River: Forest River complaints and reviews

I'm also looking at the TTs made by Pacific Coachworks and there's very little info on them since the company has only been in business since 2006. I wasn't able to find any negative comments.

I'd like to hear from fellow RV.net members about their experiences with small TTs made by Forest River and Pacific Coachworks. Please don't be shy, you can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm also open to other brands that make decent small TTs.

Thanks in advance.
63 REPLIES 63

William2012
Explorer
Explorer

We recently purchased a forest river salaem.cruise lite,and had nothing but problems first trip out,had all kinds of problems,took it to a shop to be fixed stayed in the shop for 6 months claiming they couldn't get the parts finally get it back,went to camp again and first night started having all kinds of problems and now,they say the warranty is expired.

Note sure if you are aware but this topic is 10 years old. If you have complaints about a newer generation FR product you might get better traction posting a new topic. 

BTW, I am on my second FR product, and I have been very pleased.  Few issues and what I did have FR was actively engaged and I got quick, great service. Maybe things were different 10 years ago. Also, I find some dealers are better than others at wanting your repeat business. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is very proper for you to be concerned about negative comments about any manufacturer of an RV. There are those on the list that have very valuable experience to share. Then there are those on this list that bash those that share their experiences if it doesn't fit their agenda. So yes be very concerned, look carefully, be aware of what you are getting into. The industry thrives on emotional buyers who are not aware of all the possible pitfalls and where corners are cut by the manufacturers. Caution is the most import advice I can offer.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
West Coast buyers have 4 brand choices made on the left coast that are really nicely made at a reasonable price .
Arctic Fox, Komfort , Nash and Lance .
I ordered a new Komfort a dozen years ago after owning 3 RV's and much deliberation .
I still have the Komfort as it has held up extremely well .
Komfort is a little on the heavy side and may not be a good choice for the F150 crowd .

Actually FR has a plant in Dallas Oregon about 18 miles from Salem. They make the Wildcat Maxx along with a couple others also.

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I'm in the process of researching small TTs and came across a couple of units made by Forest River that caught my attention. Actually, both models are identical but sold under the Salem Cruise Lite and Wildwood X Lite.

I was very surprised to see so many negative comments made by existing Forest River owners that I'm thinking I may be better off to steer clear from Forest River products altogether.

The following link has over 150 complaints covering practically every single type of RV made by Forest River: Forest River complaints and reviews

I'm also looking at the TTs made by Pacific Coachworks and there's very little info on them since the company has only been in business since 2006. I wasn't able to find any negative comments.

I'd like to hear from fellow RV.net members about their experiences with small TTs made by Forest River and Pacific Coachworks. Please don't be shy, you can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm also open to other brands that make decent small TTs.

Thanks in advance.

So you read a handful of negative comments and now the entire product line is garbage? The internet is mostly negative comments, people don't normally post positive, only when they have a problem. If you are researching to find a brand that doesn't get bashed...good luck with that.

There are posters here that bash brands repeatedly. Ignore all the internet hoopla and do some real research. Go look at them and determine for yourself the build quality. After all 99% of the frames, components and systems are from just a few companies. There are companies that put them together good and then there are ones that put them together better.

Any brand you find bashers for you find FAR more satisfied.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
I had very good luck with my Forest River Forester Class C - average construction and finish but it had many features like Superlite substrate in the walls, fiberglass roof, Serta bedding, flush lights, partial paint - and it cost less than competitors. My current rig is from a famed company and I still see the same construction faux pas as my Forester had (mostly in hidden spots, as usual).

Your mileage may vary, but I don't buy "all or nothing" arguments.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

des04004
Explorer
Explorer
Our Wildwood has been great!
2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
West Coast buyers have 4 brand choices made on the left coast that are really nicely made at a reasonable price .
Arctic Fox, Komfort , Nash and Lance .
I ordered a new Komfort a dozen years ago after owning 3 RV's and much deliberation .
I still have the Komfort as it has held up extremely well .
Komfort is a little on the heavy side and may not be a good choice for the F150 crowd .

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Our first brand new RV was a 2004 Cherokee, built by Forest River. We had it from May of 2004 through April of 2010, so basically 6 camping seasons.

It wasn't an extravagant TT, but it was well built, had everything we needed, and we never had any issues with it other than immediately after we got it home from the dealership and the slideout switch went bad and something on the propane tank regulator broke (which was actually the dealer's fault.) A local Cherokee sales place (we purchased it in Muskegon, Michigan and we live in NW Ohio) came out immediately for the warranty work. After those minor issues for the next six years it was a great TT.

We only sold it because the kids were getting bigger and we wanted a TT with a bunkroom slide.

FWIW
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I love our Columbus (Palomino is owned by FR). All manufacturers can produce a lemon from time to time, but I think FR does about as well as anyone at minimizing those and fixing issues when they exist.

Be careful not to pay too much attention to the small vocal minority (unhappy with FR) without realizing there is a huge silent majority happy with their FR product that is too busy enjoying camping to spend their time on forums. Does FR have problems from time to time? Yes. All manufacturers do. Almost all new TT will need a few things fixed initially. That's where a good local dealer comes in handy.

Remember, if you find 150 complaints, and FR has sold 100,000 RVs in that time period, that means less than 2 people per thousand have complained. That's pretty good odds for any mass produced product. Good luck.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Try Northwood Mfg or Outdoors RV.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a quick scan of this thread I noticed one mention of another FR brands—Palomino. Other FR brands include Coachmen, Dynamax, Prime Time, Shasta, etc. That’s too many different managements and models to broad swath paint one conclusion. If you’ve been burned bad through ownership of a seriously bad unit, it would be hard not to draw broad conclusions. Our first trailer, brand XXX, had the gas pipe run through the spring shackles (got flatter every time we hit a bump), the fridge held up by 1/8” paneling (inside where we couldn’t see it--rough road caused it to sink bulging out the wall), and non-stop window leaks from very bad sealing design (wood framing started rotting away). No way would I buy anything built by brand XXX even though this was their least expensive unit. After extensive looking and being on a very limited budget we selected a FR Palomino Puma. I have found one construction problem that was easier to fix than hauling it back 150 mi. to the dealer. After a year with the trailer, I still feel that it is above average construction quality (it’s not fancy, but we didn’t pay for fancy) in this price range. FR offers one feature that I really like—a second year warranty for $145. I have seen threads on line claiming brand XXX was better construction because they gave a free two year warranty—not in my experience, and they have now stopped offering the second year warranty.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
RVing attitude has changed immensely since the old days of solid trailers with tags like "entry level"....I have two pre '75 travel trailers in my driveway that are unscathed by the years seeing more gravel washboardy roads than pavement and held the snow and weather of central Idaho without a leak.

Security and Kit are there names, both out of buisness but they give up nothing to the Airstream in longevity.

All trailers will have issues regardless of the tag new rvers want to hang on them. I have a 5 year old keystone that I haven't put .10 cents in repairs and it also has seen more gravel and dirt roads than pavement but some would call it "entry level".... If that's the case, that's all I'll buy then.. Sticks and tin and years and years of use.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find many people happy with their Forest River products. Mostly they understand that they got what they paid for, and it meets their needs.

I also see a complaints from Forest River owners about how cheaply they think things are made. I think they are expecting more than what they paid for, maybe thinking at the time they got a fantastic bargain.

In the low cost RV categories, I would not hesitate to buy Forest River. I think they usually do much better than their low cost competition. But I would not buy low cost from anyone, if what I wanted was premium quality.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B