cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Break away pull pin

Jporter1313
Explorer
Explorer
I can not get the pull pin out of the box on the break away brake cable what do I do?
14 REPLIES 14

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
" I picked up a cheap carabiner that clips over the loop and then gets clipped to the rig so I don't have to pull the pin all the time."

That's what I do. I thought everybody did the same thing or similar.

Me too....Kinda.

I didn't get a cheap carabiner. I have seen people use those designed for key chains (snapping D ring/or snapping carabiner)---says right on it "NOT FOR CLIMBING". I was afraid the thing would break instead of brake. :R

I bought a LOCKING D RING (carabiner). :B

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
" I picked up a cheap carabiner that clips over the loop and then gets clipped to the rig so I don't have to pull the pin all the time."

That's what I do. I thought everybody did the same thing or similar.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Use your knee as leverage. If that doesn't work something is probably jammed up so at that point cut the cable or drive the rig forward and make it come out then replace parts as necessary.

What some of these guys are alluding to in there usual way is its best to not pull the pin and run it through the loop to secure it to the rig each time you hook up or unhook as you just found out it can wear the plug and pin which can cause problems. I picked up a cheap carabiner that clips over the loop and then gets clipped to the rig so I don't have to pull the pin all the time.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jporter1313 wrote:
Yes the box is attached to the the trailer and then I attached the other end to the car and I need to get the pin out if the box to get the car away from the trailer and then I put the pin right back in

Pulling pin to move car........not the normal way to do things.
Cable should detach from car and pin remain in switch.
Pin should only be pulled as a test...with pin out FULL Battery Voltage is being applied to brake magnets

Pin typically only goes in one way so if last time it was inserted wrong it is jammed.
Can't pull pin.....then you need a new switch.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stopped actuating my brake system so I had to order a new assembly.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
Why do you want to take it out. Just leave it there and be sure it is connected to your TV when traveling.

Testing the fact that it does come out is part of annual DYI inspection. You want to make sure it works.

Jporter1313 wrote:
Yes the box is attached to the the trailer and then I attached the other end to the car and I need to get the pin out if the box to get the car away from the trailer and then I put the pin right back in

Me confused :h I thought you were just doing a test. If you are moving your vehicle, why not just disconnect it from the TV. It is on some sort of removable attachment, right????

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
You need to set it up so that you remove the CAR end of the cable to disconnect the trailer and leave the pin in the box.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Jporter1313 wrote:

Well that pin is not designed to be repeatedly removed. Sounds like you need a new switch, and when you get it installed figure out a way to connect to the TV without having to pull the plunger like the rest of us do...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Jporter1313
Explorer
Explorer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying that you pull the plunger out of the trailer end to disconnect it?

You realize that if that's what you're doing you're activating your trailer brakes every time you do it right?

And you may have damaged the brake magnets also by keeping them on for so long.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Jporter1313
Explorer
Explorer
It's still attached to the vehicle and I can not get ut out I pulled it hard. It usually comes right out

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Pull harder! These are not meant to slide out easily. If it really won't move then a shot of penetrating oil left to soak overnight may be in order.

Why are you trying to remove it?
If you just want to test the system that's OK, just don't leave the pin out too long.

If, as some others have tried, you want to use the brakes to hold the trailer in position, that is not a good idea! Your brake magnets will get hot and the battery will drain rather quickly.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is in there really tight... Should pull right out with some effort. It is also keyed so when you put it back be sure you have it in the correct position otherwise it won't go back in and will run down your trailer battery rather quick. Each electric brake pulls 3AMPS DC CURRENT when hit with 12VDC... That adds up pretty quick if your trailer has dual axles...

This is what a typical PULL PIN looks like...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to take it out. Just leave it there and be sure it is connected to your TV when traveling.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73