cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firestone ride right air bag's

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a mystery air leak on my passage side air bag. I have sprayed every connection and the bag itself and cannot find a leak, has to be small. I thought about adding a 1/2 gallon air reservoir. Now it has a line for each bag that you fill by the tag.

Anyone else have similar problems?
11 REPLIES 11

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a slow leak that turned out to be dirt in the Schrader valve. Probably should be more careful with keeping the air chuck off the ground. Took the Schrader apart and cleaned the valve body and all was good.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
I had one with a slow leak. Pulled out the fill valve from bumper. Removed the red hose. Cut the end 90deg flat. Cleaned inside the valve and reinserted the hose ( pushed in good). Leak fixed. An installer on this board said the actual bags rarely fail - more often the fill valves.

That's what I had to do with one of my bags. I thought they were cut square,but not quite I guess.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
You have any friends that are mechanics? You could try to put some UV Dye in the system and fill it up with are and look for the dye. Never tried it but at least it would give you a spot.

And that reminds me, I need to check the pressure in mine before the weekend.
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Paul Clancy wrote:
I had one with a slow leak. Pulled out the fill valve from bumper. Removed the red hose. Cut the end 90deg flat. Cleaned inside the valve and reinserted the hose ( pushed in good). Leak fixed. An installer on this board said the actual bags rarely fail - more often the fill valves.
Thanks I will give it a try.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
christopherglenn wrote:
The 1/2 gallon tank is actually a good idea. They are usually used as ping tanks, when you hit a bump the pressure in the bag spikes, the tank gives it a place to go so the ride is not as harsh. I am going to put one on each side when I get the bags on my new truck.
I found a 5 port tank on ebay for 35. with free shipping.

Leak bugs the heck out of me though.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
The 1/2 gallon tank is actually a good idea. They are usually used as ping tanks, when you hit a bump the pressure in the bag spikes, the tank gives it a place to go so the ride is not as harsh. I am going to put one on each side when I get the bags on my new truck.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked the valve? Short of pulling the whole thing out I can't think of an easy way to track the leak down. It could be on the backside of the bag where you can't see it, or on the inside curve of the bag.

OTOH if it holds air that long, and it was a real pain to get to, I'd probably just haul along an air bubble and fill it when it got low enough.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
You may have tried this already, but try airing up to max PSI, then hooking up your RV, or similar load, THEN spray everything, including the fill valves. It may help to force enough air out to show up. If not, just give it time to get bad enough to show, it won't get any better. Good luck.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
How small of a leak is it? Loses how many psi over what period of time? What purpose would the 1/2 gallon air reservoir serve? Just as a bandaid?
Takes about a week to go down. There is no air volume in just the lines, a small tank might keep it for a month.

Agree it's just a bandaid, but don't know if it's the air bag or air line's. I have used soapy water a couple of times trying to find the leak spraying every part of the system.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
How small of a leak is it? Loses how many psi over what period of time? What purpose would the 1/2 gallon air reservoir serve? Just as a bandaid?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"