cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford built in brake control question

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new F350 and it has a built in brake controller. The owners manual says that you need to make sure that if you have an electric over hydraulic braking system on your trailer that it is compatible with the Ford controller. I don't have disc brakes on my current TT but would like to get them when I trade. Does anyone currently use electric over hydraulic brakes with a Ford TV and also, is there a good source that lists compatible systems? Thanks for any insight you may provide.
9 REPLIES 9

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
I do have the ability of selecting electric or electric/hydraulic in my truck. It makes sense that the difference is sensing magnets as opposed to a pump motor. I will just have to make sure the brake system is compatible when I decide to go to disc brakes. The people that install disc brakes would surely know what works with their systems. Thanks again for the replies.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nunyadamn wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Nunyadamn wrote:
I think they are talking about surge brakes. Most travel trailers are full electric - magnet is energized to pull in the pad to the drum or disk. To figure out what you have, check to see if you have a hydraulic reservoir - I doubt you do. Usually you will find electric/hydraulic brake systems on boat trailers. They have an electric pump to send the hydraulic fluid to the brakes. I suspect you will be setup correctly with your truck brake controller and your travel trailer. See the setup for adjusting for electric brakes.

"surge" brakes and "electric over hydraulic" brakes ARE two different things.

Surge brakes are typically found on boat trailers and rental trailers (UHaul). Surge brakes have a specially designed hitch coupler outfitted with a hydraulic master cylinder. The coupler can move against the actuator on the master cylinder and that will operate the trailer brakes.

Surge brakes do not use or require a vehicle with a electric brake controller.

"Electric over Hydraulic" brakes is similar to surge brakes with the exception of the hitch coupler.. The hitch coupler is a standard non moving fixed coupler. This type of brake has an additional hydraulic pump that operates the MC on the trailer. The pump requires a vehicle with a electric brake controller which is compatible with the pump (not all brake controllers work with this system).

The vehicles brake controller sends a signal to the trailer hydraulic pump and the pump pressurizes the hydraulic brakes on the trailer.

I agree, I was/would be surprised a travel trailer has the electric/hydraulic. I am wrong all the time, so anything is possible.

While electric over hydraulic may not be often found on TTs, I suspect that it IS sometimes offered as an "option" on heavier TTs and 5vrs in the form of a disc brake upgrade.. If not, some TT and 5vr owners have opted to install aftermarket disc brakes which requires electric over hydraulic system and a compatible controller.

And as far as the OPs IBC, the OP should be fine on the newer Fords, they now include the ability to select between magnets or Electric over Hydraulic.

If I remember correctly it was only the first few years that Ford offered a IBC as an option that Electric over Hydraulic was not supported directly..

On those years you had to use an intermediate box as a go between to get them to work correctly (has something to do with brake detection, some folks fooled the IBC into working by adding a brake magnet to the electric brake wire).

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Nunyadamn wrote:
I was/would be surprised a travel trailer has the electric/hydraulic. I am wrong all the time, so anything is possible.

The OP said: "I don't have disc brakes on my current TT but would like to get them when I trade"

At that time he will have "real" brakes and will need to have a controller that is compatible. I believe that his Ford controller will be fine, he just wants to be sure.

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Nunyadamn wrote:
I think they are talking about surge brakes. Most travel trailers are full electric - magnet is energized to pull in the pad to the drum or disk. To figure out what you have, check to see if you have a hydraulic reservoir - I doubt you do. Usually you will find electric/hydraulic brake systems on boat trailers. They have an electric pump to send the hydraulic fluid to the brakes. I suspect you will be setup correctly with your truck brake controller and your travel trailer. See the setup for adjusting for electric brakes.

Surge brakes are typically found on boat trailers and rental trailers (UHaul). Surge brakes have a specially designed hitch coupler outfitted with a hydraulic master cylinder. The coupler can move against the actuator on the master cylinder and that will operate the trailer brakes.

"Electric over Hydraulic" brakes is similar to surge brakes with the exception of the hitch coupler.. The hitch coupler is a standard non moving fixed coupler. This type of brake has an additional hydraulic pump that operates the MC on the trailer. The pump requires a vehicle with a electric brake controller which is compatible with the pump (not all brake controllers work with this system).

The vehicles brake controller sends a signal to the trailer hydraulic pump and the pump pressurizes the hydraulic brakes on the trailer.

I agree, I was/would be surprised a travel trailer has the electric/hydraulic. I am wrong all the time, so anything is possible.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nunyadamn wrote:

leftybj wrote:
Thanks for the reply "ford truck guy". I knew where to select electric/hydraulic but did not know what systems were compatible. I now Titan Disc is good. Do you know the technical difference between the electric and electric/hydraulic signals being sent from the truck? Also, what is a CAM module? Thanks again.

I am sorry ,I do not know the difference.. I believe the cam module acts as a magnet inline.. I really don't know , other than reading a bunch of stuff on here.. There is a guy on here that sold and installed mine named Ron Russell from Performance Trailer Braking.. He is a rep fro Titan and worked there for many years.. his screen name is ronald73072 . . his email is ronald_russell@sbcglobal.net
he will clear it all up for you... and perhaps sell you a new kit while he is at it..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply "ford truck guy". I knew where to select electric/hydraulic but did not know what systems were compatible. I now Titan Disc is good. Do you know the technical difference between the electric and electric/hydraulic signals being sent from the truck? Also, what is a CAM module? Thanks again.

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

leftybj wrote:
I just bought a new F350 and it has a built in brake controller. The owners manual says that you need to make sure that if you have an electric over hydraulic braking system on your trailer that it is compatible with the Ford controller. I don't have disc brakes on my current TT but would like to get them when I trade. Does anyone currently use electric over hydraulic brakes with a Ford TV and also, is there a good source that lists compatible systems? Thanks for any insight you may provide.

I have a 2015 F-350 and pull a fifth wheel , I just swapped my new drum brakes for the Titan Disc complete set..
Once you swap to the discs ,just go into your dash settings and pick electric/hydraulic and hit ok.. Going to the disc system is like night and DAY.. unbelievable difference in stopping. You will NOT regret it. Some of the systems need a CAM module inline to help the actuator..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet