cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shopping research, alternatives to SC 227CKS

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing research for our first trailer. We've been backpackers and tent campers and now looking to do a hybrid for some trips with our 3yr old. Tent camping with a 3yr old in the summer just isn't much fun. 😉

I fell in love with the Starcraft 227CKS, but after learning more and more about doing the towing numbers it's really pushing things. I'm in a 2013 Touareg TDI with up to 770 on the tongue and 7,700. The trouble is that the tongue weight is the real limiter. If I stick around the 15%, that gives me 5,133 for total trailer weight. A nice chunk less than the 7,700 on the sticker.

I've started looking at other brands and the Jayco x23B seems nice if a bit of a step down from the starcraft. I've also looked at some of the Roo floor plans based on seeing a lot of them in threads around here, but the floorplans I like are also on the heavy side (21DK).

I took a look at a coachman 22DSX, but again, it's on the heavy tongue weight side empty.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for models to look into? I'm more than happy to pay a bit more for quality. The sheer number of brands (and the fact that they're kissing cousins to each other) is proving to be a pita telling them apart and trying to assess quality differences.
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn with Cummings Diesel
14 REPLIES 14

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Take the short drive tomorrow and see for yourself.

There are 19 (nineteen) Roo 23SS campers in stock this morning at RVWholesalers. This time of year there will be 2014 titled models on the lot.

So called "warranty work" on campers is rarely necessary and when done is performed by a minimum wage "mechanic" at the dealer. You can usually fix everything yourself with hand tools. Things like cabinet doors will need to be adjusted, etc.

Price the local shop and RVW. The price difference is usually astounding and not worth the premium (for no value added) in my sole experience with a hybrid. There's a Roo dealer here in Cleveland. I drove 3 hours to RVWholesalers and pocketed the $4000 savings. Trailer has needed no "warranty" work.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER assume the RV industry works like the Auto Industry.
the only things they have in common are: dealerships, with salespeople that sell things on wheels.
nothing else is the same, especially service, warranty work, MSRP numbers and salespersons' knowledge of the product.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:

Service? The local Jayco dealer services my Roo and has for years. They're happy to take my money and I'll just bet they suspect I didn't buy the camper there. 😉

Thanks, this is good to know. I kind of assumed it was like cars. If I needed work done on my ford I'd go to a ford dealer. I'd not take it to a dodge dealer to have the fuel pump replaced. They wouldn't have the parts or experience for it.

As for the relationship, everything I read says that odds are I'll need at least one thing fixed up during the first year. I'd rather have a place an hour away to take things to if I need work than 4hrs. I guess I like to have good people I work with for things. Took me a few tries, but I've got a great heating/cooling guy I call right up when I need anything at the house. It's great to have someone I trust with stuff.

Signed

- Newbie trying to learn the ropes 🙂
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Clarkston MI to Lakeview OH is just an easy 3 hour drive down US23 and I75. And I'll bet RVWholesalers price is $4000 lower than the the dealer your want to have a "relationship" with. Can't imagine why or what "relationship" you want to have.

Service? The local Jayco dealer services my Roo and has for years. They're happy to take my money and I'll just bet they suspect I didn't buy the camper there. 😉

Warranty? The factory warrants the trailer, not the dealer. And they only warrant the body and maybe the frame. Everything else is warranted by the maker of the product.

-- Chuck
Our Photo pages

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
another great family dealership, House of Camping, outside of Chicago, will often beat RVW's prices. that's where we got our 23SS and we drove all the way from California to pick it up.
it was $4500 cheaper than the cheapest price out here, for the same exact trailer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Both floorplans are good. We loved our ROO 23SS, but remember it only has 2 beds. If you need more space, you're going to need to make up the dinette and sofa every night.

Have no clue where Clarkston is, but if you're even remotely thinking used vs new, we have our '07 23SS in immaculate condition looking for a new home. PM me if you might be interested. It's been well loved.

Thanks for the info. It's just me, the wife, and our 3yr old so dual queens is fine for us. When we do have guests or the little guy gets older and brings a friend I think the space will work out.

I'm about an hour north of detroit and appreciate the info on the 07, but we're hoping to get new and establish a relationship with the dealer here. I do some handy stuff around the house, woodworking, etc, but I'd like to have a warranty and a friendly nearby dealer as we start out learning about these trailers. Never had to deal with battery issues in the tent lol.
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Both floorplans are good. We loved our ROO 23SS, but remember it only has 2 beds. If you need more space, you're going to need to make up the dinette and sofa every night.

Have no clue where Clarkston is, but if you're even remotely thinking used vs new, we have our '07 23SS in immaculate condition looking for a new home. PM me if you might be interested. It's been well loved.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:
The Roo 21DK is under 5000 pounds -- fully loaded with 1200 pounds of "stuff.". Meets your spec with weight to spare. Only seating, though, is the dinette. No sofa. The Roo 23SS is under 6000 pounds fully loaded with 1800 pounds of "stuff." You can certainly keep it lighter than that!

Ideal tongue weight is 10% - 15%. Here's my Roo 23SS:

Thanks, you know when I visited the FR site I confused the 233S with the 23SS and grabbed the wrong numbers and floorplan. I'll definitely have to head down and look at the 23SS.
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
The Roo 21DK is under 5000 pounds -- fully loaded with 1200 pounds of "stuff.". Meets your spec with weight to spare. Only seating, though, is the dinette. No sofa. The Roo 23SS is under 6000 pounds fully loaded with 1800 pounds of "stuff." You can certainly keep it lighter than that!

Ideal tongue weight is 10% - 15%. Here's my Roo 23SS:

-- Chuck
Our Photo pages

Takeda_Family
Explorer
Explorer
That Solaire 199X is a nice floorplan, we have the Shamrock 23SS which is quite similar but doesn't have a tub (which can be handy with kids). The bench seat near the front is a cool idea too, although it may cut into storage.
2011 Shamrock 23SS
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Me '75
DH '78
DD '06
DS '08

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mitechie wrote:
tractorboy30 wrote:
Well I have a palomino solaire 199x 2013 and we love it. it has a dry weight of 4,400 and loaded max weight of 7,400lbs and hitch weight of 485lbs min with lots of room for our family to move around you should take a look at them.
Frank

Interesting. I was checking out the list of forest river made products and that wasn't listed at all.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/

that's for the FR brands. the Palomino, Coachmen, Dynamax, PrimeTime, Shasta and Vikings brands were recent acquisitions. their RV's aren't listed on the FR home website, though they are listed on the bottom of the FR Corporate website: http://www.forestriverinc.com/default.aspx?src=frrv

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
Type in Palomino and you will find them as I had to due the same when i was looking up there specs. but the dealer in my town is a palomino guy and that was another reson i bought it to.
Frank
Frank

mitechie
Explorer
Explorer
tractorboy30 wrote:
Well I have a palomino solaire 199x 2013 and we love it. it has a dry weight of 4,400 and loaded max weight of 7,400lbs and hitch weight of 485lbs min with lots of room for our family to move around you should take a look at them.
Frank

Interesting. I was checking out the list of forest river made products and that wasn't listed at all.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/HybridTravelTrailers/
2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe

tractorboy30
Explorer
Explorer
Frank
Frank