cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solar project starting to come togeather.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Parts have started showing up for me to install solar on my camper.

what I am planing is one 325 watt 120cell split panel on the roof, feeding a Renogy Rover 40 amp solar charge controler feeding two 6V 210Ah lead acid batteries. I ordered the bluetooth modual for it and the tempartue leads you atach to the batteries. I also ordered two 30Amp resetable breakers (one for the panel side and one for the battery side) to act as protection but also a way to disconcect the power to the controler if i have to do any work on the system.

One question I do have is when mounting the solar brackets to the alumium roof, do you put the dicore in the bolt holes and under the mounting feet and then over top when you screw it all in?

and the other big thing is where to mount the charge controler. can I put it in a closet? how hot do they get?

thanks.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
23 REPLIES 23

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Geewizard wrote:
I wouldn't put a solar panel on the roof. I'd set it up to be on the ground with a 50' cable so you could park in the shade and put the soler panel out in the sun. Yes, you have to move it once or twice in a day to catch optimal solar input.

Im the opposit, I wouldnt put it anywhere but the roof, I have a 480 watt setup on my 5th wheel and I dont want wires running accross the campground or the extra time worrying about where to put them. they work just fine on the roof.

Steve

That shows how differently we use our campers.
In BC most of the year you want the camper to sit in sunlight, to get some so needed heat.
In central states you rather park in the shade to keep it cool.
I camp mostly in Southern states and I would pay high premium to have trees available to camp under.
Month ago we went to Lake Powell, AZ and mid-week we had about 100 campsites to choose from. Only 1 site had tree about 18" tall so we pick up this one. Turned out that trees in AZ turn the leaves vertically, so sitting under - you still have sunlight on you.
Bottom line AC runs 24hr, unless campground forbids running generator at night.
Last summer I took front-mounted generator to Alaska.
Turned out to be dead weight for 8000 miles.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 1991 slumberqueen 100WS. it has a 1 piece alumium roof.
I

I had a 1988 Slumber Queen with aluminum roof and it did not have a solid deck under the roof. The roof support members were spaced. I had to lay a piece of plywood on roof to walk on it. Have you checked out your roof to see where those cross members are and what you will attach the solar panels to?
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I understand. Good luck on your project.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Geewizard wrote:
I wouldn't put a solar panel on the roof. I'd set it up to be on the ground with a 50' cable so you could park in the shade and put the soler panel out in the sun. Yes, you have to move it once or twice in a day to catch optimal solar input.

Im the opposit, I wouldnt put it anywhere but the roof, I have a 480 watt setup on my 5th wheel and I dont want wires running accross the campground or the extra time worrying about where to put them. they work just fine on the roof.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Freep wrote:
I never use Dicor. I use commercial grade caulk, Sikaflex.

What kind of truck camper do you have?

I have a 1991 slumberqueen 100WS. it has a 1 piece alumium roof.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I clean rubber roof where mount foot is going, put down eternabond, 2 screws in each mount and I never use Home type sealants on my roof, I use what commercial manufactures use on RV rubber roofs, Dicor to cover the screw heads and to bead the bracket edge down to eternabond.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
I never use Dicor. I use commercial grade caulk, Sikaflex.

What kind of truck camper do you have?
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, in the drilled hole, under the bracket and over the bracket.
Mount the controller as close to the batteries as possible in a dry, protected place. A closet seems too small. Dimensions?
What wire sizes are you using?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad