cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,298 REPLIES 32,298

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem I am facing is two Pit Bull dogs that were rescued, one from animal abuse {Rascal}and the other from the city shelter {Georgia}. Some of our people believe that both dogs should be put down because of the breed. We cannot find a foster home for Georgia, because of the influence coming from the news media and also a lady who works in dog obedience classes with the rescue group.

It has become confrontational between myself and my most valued people who have done so much for the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue. I am afraid for the sake of the organization these two dogs must be sacrificed so that we can come back together as an organization and continue the work.

I have volunteered to take on Georgia as a personal project, working with her in the day time and taking her back to the kennel at night. As I think more about this I realize this is not the answer to getting her out of the $10.00 a day kennel and I cannot take her on as a full time project. So does the Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue euthanize these two dogs and move on, or do I stand in the gap between them and death risking to tear apart the organization? That is my dilemma. The exchange between all involved has become way too much.

I do not take the stand that these are dangerous dogs and should be put down. By saying all Pit Bulls are dangerous is like saying all of Jeffery Dahmer's children and all of Ted Bundy's children will grow up to be serial killers. I have offended the very people that I have grown to admire and work with. I have watched this organization grow beyond belief and now that we are on the verge of putting a building on the land we have this looming over our heads. What is the price of peace? How much do we demand for defending what we believe in? Is it worth tearing apart the Old Fella organization?

The only way out of this is to find a home for Georgia right away, Rascal is in a foster home so his needs are being met for now. I hope and pray that we can find a peaceful solution to this issue. Please pray for me to be humble where I need to be and to stand firm when I need to stand on principal. Sometimes it is hard to know where the line is.

I do not want this to turn into a debate on the Old Fella thread so please before responding to this post think carefully about what you are posting so we don't run into trouble here. I don't think I could handle having this thread being shut down. PM's might be better if you have anything to say that might be confrontational.

Anyway, that is where I am this morning filling a lot of remorse over this situation that I could have handled better had I taken my emotions out of this issue.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

chemisd
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of you today. I read your post last night and really didn't know what to write. I believe like dogdiva....you know what your objective is. In my field of teaching, I know what my objectives are. And being a special ed teacher, I sometimes can't go the regular route to get there. It doesn't mean that I'm still not headed in the same direction. So it may be that on your route to rescue, there will be some bumps and turns and some not so nice things to deal with. God got you this far. He'll take you all the way.
jana
Chemisd's
Joe,Jana,Jarod,Jansen
GS Allie and Sammi
See you at the bridge Maddey&Maicey
2005 Rockwood 8318SS

2004 Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, 5.7L hemi
http://www.didomenicos.com

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
RIchard, We know you have alot on your mind Please dont forget your prime objective, of rescue.........this is YOUR goal, and i imagine you are being pulled in many directions......Stick to your guns, the Lord is with you
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer, I know you have lots of things to worry about; lots of decisions to make. There are many foundlings like Georgia who need homes, and I know you worry about them too. Tomorrow (10/4) is St. Francis' Day. We'll keep you in our thoughts and hopes as we hand the gentle saint his yearly flowers and candles. As on other St. Francis' days, the statue at church will be decorated and the members of the congregation will note his day with special hymns etc. The shrine in the backyard will be decorated and the pooches will sniff at the strange stuff there. Then Bortan and Erkenbrand will charge around the yard celebrating the advent of DINNER, and Dernhelm will bounce the ball off her nose. Eventually the poor saint will get trampled - he always does. I'm sure he enjoys the revels though. At night the solar lamp by his shrine will glow softly on the Sleeping Puppy and the righted saint, and all will be well for another evening. I'm sure He Who inspired St. Francis will keep an eye and ear on your troubles too.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is Georgia. She needs a home

Georgia is a Pit Bull mix about 8 months old rescued from the city shelter. She is very active and hyper. Georgia needs a home with a strong personality as a head master. She has been tested for temperment and passed with flying colors. With the image of Pit Bull fighting here in Burke County she is not getting a fair chance at finding a forever home. We have boarded her at a kennel for over a month trying to find her a foster home without success. There has to be someone who will give her a home and a second chance at life.

I would perfer she have a home where she is the only pet at least until she can becomes use to her surroundings. If you know of anyone who may be interested please PM me. She has had all of her shots and she will be spayed next week. She is really a sweet little dog looking for a forever home.

Wife Sue

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers your way Richard.
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Our prayers are with you and we trust you in knowing that you will make the right decision as you always have.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

kokosfriend
Explorer
Explorer
Prayers that the creator of all will be helping you with the direction of the whole project.
Barb
Barb and the 4 chocolates

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The next few days will be stressful ones for me as I work through some issues with the rescue effort. I need your prayers for guidance and wisdom to make the right decisions. I am concerned about the direction we are headed and what the implications may be. You have been a faithful group in your prayers and support. Thank you.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
mistressofdistress wrote:
As I read the stories that you write I can't help but think tht there are a lot of people out there that are strays also and need a hand up in this world and not a hand out. If they would just be as greatful as that old black dog this would be a wonderful world. Thank you and Sue for being my friend.

Thank you Mary for always being there when we need you.

Wife Sue

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Let's get some excitment going. I just reserved 3 camping spots and was told with these 3 we were up to a grand total of 8. Come on people, let's get this thing on the road. For those of you that may not know, the rates are going to be $26/night and the deposit is $25. We just signed up to come in on June 4 (Wednesday) and stay through Sunday leaving on Monday. I do hope there is a bigger turnout than what have pre-registered so far. Lori, Anna the rescue and I will be keeping our paws crossed.
I was told that we will be in the same section as the Rally was in 2006 in the area of the Celeberty Station. Michelle told me tht there is another Rally going on the same weekend and the next weekend and they have a couple of Rallys that have the whole campgrounds reserved for their rallys. Even have a Rally scheduled in August!, so please get your reservations in as soon as you can.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Ron___Shirley
Explorer
Explorer
Richard,
We are hoping to be able to come to Branson next June and see everyone! It would be a fun time for Lola and our Grandchildren also.

Shirley
Ron & Shirley
2005 Itasca 37B Suncruiser W24 Workhorse Chassis
To Discover New Oceans We Must Lose Sight Of The Shore

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron & Shirley wrote:
"Ron and Shirley Knoche of Missouri concur. The snowbirds had flown off to Texas when they found the postings on line. They stayed up reading the story the better part of the night, laughing, crying and cheering the old dog on. Checking the site is now part of their daily routine, and, though they've never met,
the Knoches consider Richard, Sue and Old Fella part of their family."

Richard the above is quoting from your last post. When we said that little did we know you, Old Fella and Sue would be responsible for giving us a very important addition to our Family our Granddog Lola A/K/A Sadie. From day one she has just been the sweetest most well
behaved furchild we have ever known. In about 3 weeks it will be Lola's Birthday. The kids decided her Birthday would be the Anniversary of the day she came from Georgia to Missouri. It will soon be one year but it seems like she has always been a part of the Family.

From one Old Stray Dog the Circle of Love just continues to grow.

Shirley

I still have pictures on my computer of Lola. She is such a beautiful dog and so well mannered. It was a joy to see her find such a wonderful home. Maybe you can bring her to the Old Fella Rally in Branson, Missouri next June? We would love to see you..

Wife Sue

LoneWolf17
Explorer
Explorer
The October issue of Highways is posted online at the Good Sam Club website. Logged-in members can read the article about the journey of Anna here:
An Amazing Journey

Added in Edit: I was just given permission to post the text of that article for our members that cannot access the article:

AN AMAZING JOURNEY

Good Sam members help drive a disabled dog from Georgia to Washington state

Paula Loehr
GSC Highways
Tuesday October 2, 2007

Good Sam member Richard Daniels, who runs an animal shelter in Waynesboro, Georgia, spearheaded an effort by RVers to transport a disabled dog to her new home on the other side of the continent.

Anna, a Labrador retriever who had a leg amputated after an accident, was relayed from RV to RV across the U.S. in an effort that was coordinated by postings on the Old Stray thread on RV.net, which is affiliated with the Good Sam Club. Annaโ€™s journey started at Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue (OFBCAR) shelter that was founded by Daniels, and ended at the Spanaway, Washington, home of club members Ryan and Beth Eaton, who had agreed to adopt the canine after reading about her on RV.net.

The journey garnered attention from news outlets across the country, including NBC News, which covered Annaโ€™s journey during one of their nightly broadcasts.

โ€œThe volunteers are the best and I cannot praise them enough for their dedication and hard work,โ€ says Daniels, who frequently posts information about the stray dogs who reside at his shelter.

Annaโ€™s story started in January, when she was found abandoned on a Georgia roadside after having sustained a near-fatal injury. Irene Pitts, an OFBCAR volunteer, nursed the dog back to health after she received life-saving leg-amputation surgery.

After the Eatons offered their home to Anna, it didnโ€™t take long for what Daniels calls a โ€œchain of caringโ€ to form as RVers from all parts of the U.S. eagerly participated in helping transport the dog. In June, Anna finally reached her destination.

The Eatons have given Anna a new nameโ€”Tiaโ€”and they report that sheโ€™s settling in well at their home. โ€œIโ€™m glad weโ€™re getting the word out about adopting rescued animals and volunteering with the rescue effort itself,โ€ says Ryan Eaton.

Anna isnโ€™t the only canine who has been saved by Daniels. In 2006, Daniels rescued Old Fella, a black dog that he found wandering in a South Carolina campground (see โ€œPuppy Love,โ€ Highways, May 2006). After sharing his experience with fellow participants in the RV.net thread, Daniels received encouragement and donations to establish a shelter in the name of the dog that he rescued. The result is his own state-licensed shelter.

OFBCAR has expanded to encompass numerous volunteers and 12 foster homes caring for more than 40 dogs and puppies plus a page on petfinders.com. Approximately 100 dogs have been saved since OFBCARโ€™s inception and have been placed in new homes.

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
As I read the stories that you write I can't help but think tht there are a lot of people out there that are strays also and need a hand up in this world and not a hand out. If they would just be as greatful as that old black dog this would be a wonderful world. Thank you and Sue for being my friend.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.