cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED dome light upgrade won't stay in place

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer

I purchase a large quantity of 24 LED panel (SMD 5050) over eBay to upgrade all dome/wall/cabinet/exterior lights of my trailer to LED (cool white). I order them from eBay and they are AWESOME. Light is powerful a LOT and no more yellowish light inside the trailer! The price is kinda incredible too... 20$ for 15X units.

I only have one issue so far and I want your advice... those LED panel came with a double-sided adhesive on back of the panel to mount inside dome light. But after a few hours of use and because those SMD 5050 panel became a little warm (not hot, just a little warm), the cheap double-sided adhesive felt appart and LED panel won't stay in place anymore.

Any suggestion? I'm pretty sure many other people experience this issue here... do you use a industrial adhesive maybe or silicone glue maybe? Or maybe there's some kind of true heavy-duty double-sided adhesive?

Even with this minor issue I do recommend this upgrade to everyone, light is awesome and low power drain too!!

Thank you!!
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
35 REPLIES 35

vickilea
Explorer
Explorer
My husband is working on this right now - I'll have to take photos when I get home. He is using wire and made up a jig as he has to make 20 of these. Photo to follow......

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
the zip tie is a good solution, I can see how any adhesive could fail due to heat over time.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
3M VHB tape.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did...looped a zip tie around it and behind the reflector inside..I used a white zip tie. Can't even see it when the lens is on the fixture.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Could you drill 2 small holes in the fixture on each side of the lamp and use a zip tie

Yes maybe, but I think I'll have to remove each fixture from the ceiling before drilling the holes which could be a long operation.
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you drill 2 small holes in the fixture on each side of the lamp and use a zip tie