cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing Dicor from screw holes...

SJ-Chris
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to remove my refrigerator vent cap up on the roof. (I'm doing this because I want to send some solar wires down without putting another hole in the roof.)

Here is a picture of what the top of the vent cover looks like:

On the top of this vent, there are 4 screws to hold it down. You can see from the image, over the top of the screw holes is Dicor to prevent it from leaking water.

My question is this: What is the best way to remove the Dicor in these screw holes such that I can get a screwdriver down to the screws to remove them? (I haven't worked much with Dicor before)

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
10 REPLIES 10

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Pick it out with a small flat blade screw driver.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I think I did that method. Went up with a square tip on an impact screwdriver. That was for the fridge vent though.

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can shove a screwdriver right thru it and unscrew. Easier to clean off then. That stuff stays soft for years.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't have a heat gun but even my wife's hair dryer seem to loosen the caulk enough to get a screw driver bit to work.
Kevin

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hit it with a heat gun and then the driver and it will back right out. When a heat gun hits Dicor, it just rolls aside with whatever tool you are going to use.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
would a heat gun loosen it up.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I removed my cover, I just loosened the dicor edges with a plastic sharp edged tool for applying caulk. A credit card will work similar. The Dicor does not stick well to that plastic vent, like it does to your roof.

After the edges are loose, just twist/pull up, and should come out in one piece (mine did). I actually put the old Dicor pieces, back in the same hole, which still made a fair seal, and still in there, after several years.

There really is no place for water to leak, but could cause screw to rust, if water sat in that recess.

Jerry

I work with that situation a lot in my solarium work. Always something to take apart with the screw heads caulked.

Exactly as birdnst said, dig it out. It can be a little tedious, but there are only 4 screws.

Dicor sticks hard, it's great stuff. I always start with a utility knife such as Olfa, and try to get a piece loose enough to grab it with a pair of pliers and pull while I use a knife, pick, nail, screw or anything with a small sharp tip to pry it away from the screw head.

There is no other way to do it. No solvent will work without damaging the surrounding area.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Birdnst
Explorer
Explorer
Dig it out with pick, small screw driver or pocket knife.
Be sure to reapply when finished.
Take your time you'll be fine.
I do not see any cracks only dicor dribble.
If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
clicky

Might want to get a new cover while you are at it. That one is cracked.
Puma 30RKSS