cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flex Air Pinbox is for sale- any reviews?

MichaelOH59
Explorer
Explorer
Gents the Lippert Flex Air is finally on the market. I am sure there are many of us waiting to hear from those of you are pioneering this new unit.Comments appreciated from Flex Air owners.
17 REPLIES 17

MichaelOH59
Explorer
Explorer
Since I started this thread I thought I should do all the courtesy of giving my own review of the flex Air pin box. We set off in March for TN, SC, Fl and thence back home to South Texas. We had not gotten more that 500 miles before I had had enough and decided, despite the dearth of reviews to take a chance and buy the new flex air. It wasnt until the Tampa area that we were able to get one installed at a Camping World so my review is limited to just the roughly 1000 miles from there to Victoria. Further my review is even more limited because my unit had a leaky valve which meant that after a couple hours my flex air had no air and therefore didnt flex. Filled it up twice on the way back. So this is a review of the four or so hours that the thing was working as designed. My conclusion was: Wow! I really liked it. Briefly! It really seemed to moderate the chucking and the bucking, of which we would get no small amount on the less than perfect roads. The expansion joints could be pretty brutal. The flex Air took a lot of that out of our ride. The leaky air valve was suggested by the kid at camping World after I called in to see how they were gonna deal with it. He was right. I took it off, slapped some locktite type of product on it and though I have only towed it a few miles since then I do believe that i fixed it.

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Well this Trailair added nearly a foot of length to the 0719 Morryde I have run for the past 4 years.

I emailed the seller about the actual dimensions of both the Flexair 0719 and 1621 models, but they gave me incorrect measurements......So I ordered the 1621 and ended up being over length!

My rig has always flexed a little when setting it down on the truck, but it doesn't move hardly at all with the 0719 installed. I have been watching the frame and sidewalls for years so I could detct an issue before it got too big to fix, but nothing has changed in 4 years time and 20k+ miles?

I do have a little bit more hitch weight than your rig did has as my wheelbase is a couple inches longer than standard with the axle swap.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Huh, mine never did on my 30C. I wonder if you have a break somewhere?
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Crazy Cooter wrote:
taken wrote:
You could always go 5th Airborne Tony. I am happy with ours.

Glad you got resolution too....

Yes, I see that as an option! Funny it's available on the web, but the part # I need isn't on their web site.......

Sure it is. 5th

I need the Lippert 0719 box. That 1621 is too long.....

You should have seen how much the 1621 flexed the front of the trailer when the garage was unloaded!
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Cooter wrote:
taken wrote:

Yes, I see that as an option! Funny it's available on the web, but the part # I need isn't on their web site.......

Sure it is. 5th
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I just saw the video. I'm not sure what part of the video means fail? I wasn't sure what you were doing as the trees in the background didn't move????

I was going to take the combo on the road with the GoPro, but just bumping the clutch in the backyard showed way too much flopping of the lower jaw which in turn was rotating my hitch......Inches of forward/back play going down the road. Never got to speak to Lippert about the issue or a solution though. They can have it back!

The actual culprit was a warped lower jaw. When the robots welded the actual kingpin to the lower jaw, it warped it over 3/8" in less than the foot of width so the rubber cushion wasn't being pinched. It was also only contacting my hitch on a 5-6" circle and was tearing up the slip disk and plate.

I'm back to the Morryde which has served me well for the past 4 years, but still concerned the Peterbilt might tear up the trailer on the slab roads.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:

1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I just saw the video. I'm not sure what part of the video means fail? I wasn't sure what you were doing as the trees in the background didn't move????

taken
Explorer
Explorer

Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Update....

Three phone calls to Lippert over 8 days where I left messages on voicemail each time and not a single returned call..... That's customer service! ๐Ÿ˜‰

The seller, E-Trailer stepped up and sent a truck to pick it up for a refund. Not happy overall with having to swap boxes back again, but this was an acceptable solution and they did their best to fix it considering the manufacturer ignoring me.

Considering I get a refund, I will be trying to decide whether to buy the non "Flex" version of the Trailair or do without air ride all together. I really don't want to give Lippert money EVER again if at all possible!
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I obviously hoped for better, but this is what I usually end up with! I'll be interested in the explanation and how this gets handled.....

All this movement can't be the way they designed it!
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Tony, that's NFG at all. Sorry about that bud. Keep us posted on how you make our with Lippert. I was never happy with the Flex Air's predecessor, the Tri-Glide. I had a lot of clunking going on during take off. Others say they never had my issue so IDK. I hope yours can be resolved.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I hooked up this morning, but a roadtest wasn't needed to see just how bad this is:

I'll have to contact E-Trailer and Lippert this week and see what can be done. I can't imagine the B&W lasting very long with all this movement going on. Hoping for a swap to the standard Trailair box.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I have one but have only pulled on one 2500 mile round trip and a few short locals.

Not impressed so far. The chucking is far worse than it was with my Morryde. Need to hook it back up to the truck with a GoPro in the bed so I can see what is happening back there. Feels like the lower jaw is too loose/soft and making it worse.

I'd like to graft the Morryde plate to the lower jaw of a standard Trailair and then we would be golden!
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ