cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Class C Electric fireplace issue

freekie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 Coachman Leprechaun. Two to 3 weeks ago I made sure everything was working before our 1000 mile trip up to Cape Cod Mass.
Anyway everything worked fine even the electric fireplace insert. We get to our final destination and on the 2nd day its a little cool so we want to get the chill off. I try to turn on the fireplace and nothing. After some trouble shooting I find the issue with no power to the 120v outlet that powers the unit. I don't understand the wiring scheme its using.

There is 1 Set of leads that is hot all the time going into a gang box. 1 set comes out of the box going to the outlet that powers the fireplace and another set leaves the box going to I don't know where. All 3 sets have the White wire connected together. The black common wire goes to this Relay. 1 Wire marked Common, the 2nd is on Normally Open contact the other is on normally closed contact. I can disconnect the power to the relay and the fireplace outlet works. I plug the relay back in and fireplace outlet don't work. Does anybody understand or know what is telling this relay to be on or off? What is the purpose of this relay. The way its wired if the relay is told to be on or off 1 set of leads is powered and the other is off.

Gang box wiring
11 REPLIES 11

pauliski
Explorer
Explorer

it sounds like your wiring is a little different that the 240fs but the reason the outlet for the fireplace goes dead

is because there is a "safety switch" that has to make contact when the slide is open all the way so then the fireplace can be used. the switch is on the track of the entertainment center slide on my unit. I adjusted it and now the fireplace works fine when you open slide and then open entertainment center.

While I am sure the op would have found this helpful, this post is 6 years old. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

"Freekie" will not see the reply. This was his last post/reply. I checked is ID.

๐Ÿ˜

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

well I just joined the group yesterday and found the group doing a general google search for my problem. I knew there had to be some kind of switch to turn off that outlet that is just for the fireplace. I did not look to see how old the post was. Hopefully in the future someone somewhere will find my post helpful. Two dealer I spoke to had no clue why it was going dead and just wanted me to bring in for diagnosis. $$$$$$

I agree with Pauliski on this. True our current forum has a lot of quirks such as allowing replies on posts over a year old. But that doesn't negate the benefit of a poster giving good or helpful information that might help someone in the future.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

The change from what was there to what is now has been a disaster. I used to spend time on the old format every day. Now it is rare for me to make a comment.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

@pianotuna wrote:

The change from what was there to what is now has been a disaster. I used to spend time on the old format every day. Now it is rare for me to make a comment.

I have to agree with you on that one Don. The new format really just killed the forum. I stay on because it still gives me distraction and I guess I hope that with time it will start to grow again.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

I bought a new C8 corvette a couple of years ago and I was active on the corvette forum but it was to confusing as well.

I just bought a used 2016 coachman Leprechaun 240FS with full body paint on the Ford 450 chassis it only has 15,000 miles and was not used by the lady the last 6 years.

I am trying to fit in group 27 batteries as the 24s are not lasting long when I dry camp but I don't know the age of them. She was kind of clueless on most things I asked about all though the maintenance was good.

@pauliski wrote:

I just bought a used 2016 coachman Leprechaun 240FS with full body paint on the Ford 450 chassis it only has 15,000 miles and was not used by the lady the last 6 years.

I am trying to fit in group 27 batteries as the 24s are not lasting long when I dry camp but I don't know the age of them. She was kind of clueless on most things I asked about all though the maintenance was good.

You might get better response posted in a new thread. But, If it was my coach and I didn't know the history I would probably just replace the batteries with new. If you dry camp you might consider changing to Lithium batteries. Or at the very least change from 12v batteries to 6V batteries. The 6 volts are the same size (same footprint) as the group 24's but just an inch taller.  No matter what route you take you should take pictures of the battery wiring before disconnecting anything. To go from two 12v to two 6v's you need to just add one cable to join them together. In the below picture 12v's are on the left and 6v's are on the right.
Vdpl4Yj

freekie
Explorer
Explorer
Well that was it. If the electric water heater is on the fireplace outlet is disabled. Thanks for the input.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can think of two possibilities. First, the relay is controlled by a thermostat somewhere, which wasn't set to provide heat.

Second, the circuit is shared with some other high-power device, such as maybe the water heater electric element, and the relay switches between the two loads. This would presumably be done as a sort of load shedding to avoid overloading the shore power connection (which I would guess is a 30A connection in this case) and popping the main breaker etc.