cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Triton V-10 sucking water

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent trip south down through Mississippi in February this year, my "Check Engine" light came on. Stopped at a Parts place and had code checked. It indicated the MASS Air Sensor, which is part of the engine air intake system. Is it was not showing any further failure, we continued on our trip, and have just recently taken it in to be checked and repaired. Turns out that the intake air filter had rainwater standing the the bottom, and was still wet! This is a 2004 Ford chassis, and having a simular problem with an older model, this was not a total supprise to me. The older chassis had an air scoop facing foward which caused the problem during a hard rain, but this model had additional shielding around the air intake which seemed to be effective.

On most of the trip, we were going directly into a HARD driving storm most of the way, which was the cause of the problem. It is all fixed now, and a minor modification involving a liece of plastic and a tie wrap should be a solution.

Just remember, if you do ever have to drive into a storm with one of these, to check your filter asap for water intake.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

5 REPLIES 5

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I have experienced the same problem on my 2000. I now carry a spare filter just in case.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

SafariSimba
Explorer
Explorer
I have just experienced my third case of the issue with the Ford V-10 Triton. (2005) First time we were parked for a few days after experiencing low power and RPM, limped into a park . Next day all was fine. The second was in a Mississippi rain storm we experienced another incident and again limped to a Ford dealer who after attempting a computer analysis of the engine he opened the Air Cleaner canister and found the air cleaner filter wet and collapsed at the base, New Air cleaner and on our way. The last incident this past week convinces me that the design of the air filter intake (pointed to the ground behind the grille) is the cause of the water intake causing the air cleaner to block engine air and a resultant engine loss of power. All three of these cases occurred during a hard rain at highway speeds. Dangerous situation as 20- mph is max down hill and near dead engine stall uphill. The indication is a slight "humping" of the coach which feels like transmission shifting problem that increases in frequency and severity as the water continues to collect.

Suggestion to all: Get off the road immediately when this condition occurs. (My wife said she felt like a truck target) Removing the air cleaner does not allow the engine to run. Take the air cleaner from the canister and dump the water out (I got two cups) and if possible using a hair drier and get the fabric as dry as possible, head to an auto parts store and obtain a replacement filter.

I have now seen other forums on this issue referring to modifications but none of the items listed are available. I suggest care in modifying the intake port as this may affect engine performance.

My best suggestion is to carry a spare filter and at the first sign of "humping" get off the highway and replace the filter. 15 MPH on a rainy freeway is super dangerous!!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Thankd folks. I did some research, and found that Ford did release a part to fix? this problem back in 2004. It looks line a sink trap, with a drain at the bottom. According to my dealer, it is no longer available. So, I will just stay with the intake shield, and try to avoid driving in that type of storm again for any length of time. That was one of the worst drives we have ever had. I nos know that if we do ge caught, replace the filter asap with a dry one.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has a TSB on this. Do some research and you'll find the TSB which adds a plastic piece to the air intake. This makes the filter housing longer so that you don't suck in water during heavy rain.

-paul

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Research this topic here on the FORUM. Seems in the very early years V-10 got a Ford modification...a rework/re-position the air intake so this wouldn't happen.
My 2001 is just fine.
My problem is a too-small vacuum tank...and on a hard-pull hill, the dash a/c cuts out. But every time I think to fix/replace, it never happens.