cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My windshield nightmare.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
This all started in 2017. We were on our way to the Lake Tahoe area to visit family. We were driving on highway 395 and something hit the windshield and chipped it. While at Lake Tahoe I found a place to get the chip fixed. What I did not notice was another chip right at the edge of the windshield. While driving home to CA the windshield cracked.

Never having had a windshield for a class A motorhome installed before I did a Google search. The first thing that popped up was a company that says ""Nationwide" warranty will cover you wherever you go in your travels". So I called. They sent me to a company about 50 miles north of me in Paso Robles to get the windshield replaced.

The company replaced the windshield and I went home. We did not use the motorhome for a few months. Our next trip was to Canada. It rained, the windshield leaked all across the top. When we returned home I called the company that had installed it and took it back to them. It was the same person that installed the windshield that was now trying to repair it. He put sealant from the inside of the RV all along the top of the windshield. Our next couple of trips in the motorhome it did not rain. On one trip that it did rain and it leaked, not as bad as before but it did leak.

I called the company that installed it and I took it back. This was about 1 3/4 years after the initial install. This time the same guy worked on it, he packed it from the outside with sealant. I watched him do it. He used a lot of sealant! I thought it won't leak this time! I was wrong! And before anyone says it is the running lights, I only spray water on the windshield and not on the lights.

Fast forward to January 2020 and Covid-19. We had not used the RV. I took it out and it was wet. It leaked. I called the company that installed it. Long story short, they are now chasing the leak. Just placing sealant where it leaks and it will leak in another place.

I called the Nationwide warranty company to see if they would do anything. I spoke with a couple of people and then the Warranty person who is the general manager of the company. His first question to me was why did I not call while it was under warranty. I went to the website, all it says is "our industry-leading warranty". No place on the website does it mention a time limit or what is covered. He made grand promises. He said if they cant seal it he would have one of "his guys" come look at it and he would replace the windshield. I spoke with him the last time a repair was made and he seemed like he was sincere. I have his direct number. I now call and it goes directly to voicemail and the mailbox is full. I call the company number and they give me his direct number. This has been 3 weeks trying to call him back.

At this point, I am calling other companies to see how much it would cost to just replace the windshield. I am being quoted $3000 to $3500. I am contemplating legal action.

I guess the moral of the story is to go with a reputable company to install it and to be sure and check if your windshield leaks after it has been replaced.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT
40 REPLIES 40

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
I have had enough with this. I am working on a deadline. My wife and I will be moving into the motorhome in a few weeks while we are doing an 8 month remodel on our home. I need to get this done.

I called another glass place and they said they would do a water test. I'm taking it to them next week. If I have to take the windshield out and it breaks I'm going to send the other company the bill.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
NC6B wrote:
The latest on this.

I received a phone call from the glass company. They are going to blame the running lights. Even though when I put water on the windshield I make sure no water gets on the lights. I am looking for an attorney now and I am going to reseal the lights.

Kent
N6WT

Pressurize the interior with a fan and find the leak with soapy water.
I tried yesterday and could not get any positive results. Thanks!

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC6B wrote:
The latest on this.

I received a phone call from the glass company. They are going to blame the running lights. Even though when I put water on the windshield I make sure no water gets on the lights. I am looking for an attorney now and I am going to reseal the lights.

Kent
N6WT

Pressurize the interior with a fan and find the leak with soapy water.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
NC6B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I'd have a auto glass company remove the glass and clean all of the old sealer off and see if the glass fits properly.
you will have to remove it anyway, give it a try.
I was told by the tech, "if they remove the windshield it will break".
n
normal method to get the glass out is to break it..

you don't have to break it.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes they use a blower like you may have seen to dry carpet or you can use a blower out of a home heating & air cond unit. The blower can be made to blow
through a window or door that is sealed with plastic, cardboard, etc

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
NC6B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
I'd have a auto glass company remove the glass and clean all of the old sealer off and see if the glass fits properly.

Yes, in most cases, pulling a CORRECTLY SEALED and installed Windshield may break when removing. Since they failed to correctly seal/adhere the Glass, I doubt it will break. An Attorney will cost MORE than just paying for a new windshield. Your best bet is to have a good Shop remove and reinstall or if it breaks, install new glass. Then sue in small claims court for the cost of the correct repair. Also, contac your RV Insurance company to see if your coverage will pay for a new windshield. Doug
Doug
Thanks for this suggestion.

I have had an idea that I got from noteven. I will do an air pressure test. I can seal the area around the top of the windshield with heavy plastic I have. Then I will hook up my shop vac to blow air into it. I will then put soapy water on the outside to see if there are any leaks.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NC6B wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

Yes, in most cases, pulling a CORRECTLY SEALED and installed Windshield may break when removing. Since they failed to correctly seal/adhere the Glass, I doubt it will break. An Attorney will cost MORE than just paying for a new windshield. Your best bet is to have a good Shop remove and reinstall or if it breaks, install new glass. Then sue in small claims court for the cost of the correct repair. Also, contac your RV Insurance company to see if your coverage will pay for a new windshield. Doug

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
The latest on this.

Kent
N6WT
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we had a wind screech and/or water leak around the windshield of a heavy truck we used to pressure the inside of the cab with the HVAC fan and find the leak with soapy water, just in case it wasn't the windshield seal but maybe a light wire entry point or body joint.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Glass will warp when not stored properly.
Probably what happen to your glass prior to installation.

no amount sealer will seal it.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The windshield should have been water tested by the installer right after replacement. Last year I had my windshield replaced at Winnebago and before they released the coach to me they did a pressure water test. Told me they do that after any window install.
If there is a leak and the install needs to be redone the glass is less likely to break pulling it before the sealant is fully cured.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
NC6B wrote:
rk911 wrote:
NC6B wrote:
rk911 wrote:
wonโ€™t do you much good now but in the future for small, repairable dings & nicks either call your insurance agent or, as i do, just call Safelight. theyโ€™ll take all your info on the phone even filing the glass claim. and in most cases cost is covered by your comprehensive coverage. if the windshield needs to be replaced then absolutely call your agent. weโ€™ve had three windshields replaced on two previous motorho
es and several dings repaired by Safelight on our current MH.

Safelight
When the windshield broke in the first place I called Safelite. I was told my local shop did not do class A motorhomes. I called today to get a quote and was told they will now do class A RV's.

odd. a ding in a windshield is a ding in a windshield. maybe you spoke with an ill-informed agent. best of luck to you.

What I should have said is they would not replace a windshield at the time. I did not ask about chip repair since that is not what I needed.

ahh. ok, that i can understand.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
NC6B wrote:
rk911 wrote:
wonโ€™t do you much good now but in the future for small, repairable dings & nicks either call your insurance agent or, as i do, just call Safelight. theyโ€™ll take all your info on the phone even filing the glass claim. and in most cases cost is covered by your comprehensive coverage. if the windshield needs to be replaced then absolutely call your agent. weโ€™ve had three windshields replaced on two previous motorho
es and several dings repaired by Safelight on our current MH.

Safelight
When the windshield broke in the first place I called Safelite. I was told my local shop did not do class A motorhomes. I called today to get a quote and was told they will now do class A RV's.

odd. a ding in a windshield is a ding in a windshield. maybe you spoke with an ill-informed agent. best of luck to you.

What I should have said is they would not replace a windshield at the time. I did not ask about chip repair since that is not what I needed.
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
Ham call sign N6WT