cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoked bacon.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I smoke only with mesquite because I prefer it for flavor with beef & chicken and it's free while camping by the truckload. I don't like it for pork. I'm going to brine some Buck Board Bacon pork and wonder what you folks like to smoke for bacon? I brine pork loins .. Thanks for any ideas..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500
13 REPLIES 13

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
What you have wouldn't be too dry. If you have a lot of oxygen you probably want to soak it in water first anyway. I generally don't if the process is pretty tight because the smoke from the fuel and wood will keep it from flaming.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like most prefer Pecan or Apple. I'll visit our Ace for a bag. I brought back from PA. some apple and hickory but it was about six years ago so I think it would be too dry. I was going to try the hickory because of the ads, "Genuine Hickory Smoked Ham", but thought it also would be too dry. This project is going to be a loin brined for two weeks so I don't want to mess it up. I've been just boiling them but want to try smoke because it tastes like ham.
Mesquite is strong but makes the best jerky. For chicken/turkey I just smoke less. If anyone uses Mesquite from the desert be sure to trim the "yellow" wood from the outside or it will smell like burning wet newspaper. I don't know why.
Thanks for all your suggestions..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I use hickory almost exclusively. Every now and then I will use grape vines when I can get them. I have used apple and cherry (available at grocery stores) but have not been much impressed.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
I like using cherry the most, next would be apple, as far as the bitterness mentioned remove any bark.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Pecan makes an excellent smoking wood for pork. Similar to Hickory but a little lighter and sweeter. Down here in the deep south we use mostly hickory and oak due to availability, some pecan wood is always a treat.

Good idea, I've been meaning to put some pecan in my WSM.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
I've used maple and applewood to smoke pork (never done bacon).

When in Alaska, where it's hard to get much in the way of smoking wood, I've had pretty good luck with applewood chips on top of charcoal.

Used hickory a couple of times on pork, but even on a bigger roast, the smoke overpowered the pork.... I liked it, but my Carolina in-laws thought it was sacrilege.

X2, Mesquite's a bit harsh for my taste.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
I find that apple wood can leave a bitter taste. I've gone back to good 'ol fashion hickory
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Pecan makes an excellent smoking wood for pork. Similar to Hickory but a little lighter and sweeter. Down here in the deep south we use mostly hickory and oak due to availability, some pecan wood is always a treat.

My Ace Hardware home section has been carrying pecan in 3 different size, shredded, chips & chunks.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had a preference for apple. You really can't get a better wood for wild game in my opinion. For pork I will occasionally use hickory. I have that you can get some great results from walnut and pecan which can be hard to come by but I have heard teh shells work just as well.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I think wood is like brine or rub and has its own flavor profile. For that reason, I mix my woods to get a fuller balance of flavors. When I do bacon, I stick to fruit which is a combination of apple and cherry.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Mesquite is strong and I don't care for it much beyond heavy cuts of beef.I like apple, white oak, or hickory in that order for pork.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I've used maple and applewood to smoke pork (never done bacon).

When in Alaska, where it's hard to get much in the way of smoking wood, I've had pretty good luck with applewood chips on top of charcoal.

Used hickory a couple of times on pork, but even on a bigger roast, the smoke overpowered the pork.... I liked it, but my Carolina in-laws thought it was sacrilege.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN