cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best automatic portable antenna for DirecTV?

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winegard Trav’ler for DirecTV on the roof of the coach. I’m very happy with the Trav’ler, but there are occasions when I am parked and cannot receive a signal due to trees and such. I purchased a portable Slimline dish and tripod, but find it difficult to set up and locate satellites, even using a satellite finder app. It is also bulky and awkward to carry in the coach.

So … I’m looking for a good automatic portable satellite antenna unit for DirecTV. I understand that it will not be an HD unit, and that’s fine as long as it will work with my HR54-700 receiver.

1. What is the best portable automatic antenna for Direct TV?
2. Is there a likelihood that this antenna will become obsolete as DirecTV phases otr SD programming?
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
footslogger wrote:
OP here. According to this source, Sats2Go, DTV has announced they will discontinue SD programming in April 2019. It makes no sense for me to invest in a portable SD dome that will be obsolete in only about 7 months. I'll work it out with my portable Slimline and tripod for those rare occasions when my Trav'ler cannot find the birds.

Thanks to all that responded.

WHile DTV is ending SD broadcast in 2019, that does not mean they are going to stop using the 101 satellite. The question is what WILL be broadcast on the 101 on the KU band that the domes will still be able to receive. Personally, I think the time of ALL domes has come and gone but they are not yet boat anchors but they are all getting close.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DTV switching to HD only actually started years ago. About 4+ years ago we were on the OR coast and could not get the Winter Olympics (ABC) with our SD dish. It took a lot of effort to pry the reasons out of DTV, namely they were not transmitting SD locals to that area. And since then there has been an increasing number of areas without SD local transmission.

With the handwriting on the wall we switched to the RF Mogul SWM antenna which the HR24 receiver supports. Later we switched to the HR44 receiver and also upgraded our home dish since the HR44 is SWM only.

It's been speculated that the 101 bird is low on fuel and has to be moved. But there is no information on this or it's replacement.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

footslogger
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. According to this source, Sats2Go, DTV has announced they will discontinue SD programming in April 2019. It makes no sense for me to invest in a portable SD dome that will be obsolete in only about 7 months. I'll work it out with my portable Slimline and tripod for those rare occasions when my Trav'ler cannot find the birds.

Thanks to all that responded.
footslogger

2004 Country Coach Allure 33' Cummins 370HP ISL
400 Watt Solar Array M&G Braking System
2003 Honda Element (and as many canoes as I can carry!)

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have the King Quest and a tri pod with Direct H24 receiver. IT can be used with Dish and Bell to just has to be reprogrammed. Guess when the satellite dies well go to Dish.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Winegard Carryout G2 and G3 automatic domes are the only models that are DTV, Dish, and Bell compatible. For DTV, they're SD only, and as Bill said, the changes coming next year may obsolete them for DTV.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rumor has it that AT&T is phasing out DirecTV in favor of DirecHDTV.

Now I know DirecTV uses 101W as the satellite and HDTV uses 99 and 103.

Last checked none of the "portable automatics" did 99 and 103 they are a different frequency band so the LNB's are completely different.

Has that changed???
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
If you are used to using the Trav'ler and like watching in HD, you will be very unhappy with any dome as it will not receive the HD DTV channels, only SD and then, as said above, only for another year or so. We purchased a normal 3 LNB dish very similar to the Trav'ler in shape and mounted it on a tripod. After a little practice, I can usually hit the satellites and lock her down in about 15 minutes - the main thing is making sure the mast is absolutely plumb. That gives us the same reception as the Trav'ler.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When DTV drops SD transmission next year you will need a full array dish, which most would not consider portable. With your HR54 and SWM compatible dish I'm not sure you'll find what you are looking for.

Have you considered a high end meter to use with your portable dish? Have you considered pivoting/removing the arm to help with storage?

When trees block our DTV we consider watching recorded shows, OTA or heaven forbid read a book. We will be in Ft Stevens next week for 5 days with extensive trees so DTV unlikely. And OTA from Portland may be iffy.

Bill – Isn’t the Carryout SD only for DTV?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Playmaker, which I use for Dish, but it might work for Direct. I have a tripod setup so I can place it almost anywhere.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard Carryout is a good portable and works very well. There is a possibility that the domes will no longer be able to receive all of the DTV programming sometime in 2019 when SD broadcast ends but no one, at this point, knows what will be broadcast from that KU band satellite at 101. They will not be able to broadcast all of their programming from that 1 satellite so I suspect it will just be a small slice of programming and likely not enough to make it a viable option.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?