cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting Read...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico will ban the sale of gasoline oxygenated with ethanol beginning in late October in three major urban centers as part of a push to combat the worst pollution in over a decade due to high concentrations of ozone in the atmosphere, government officials say.

While Mexico opened to the door to such imports in April (2017), such a blend of ethanol and gasoline is not yet present in the Mexican market. State oil company Pemex says it neither produces nor imports gasoline oxygenated with ethanol.

However, the new rule anticipates any such imports in future as Mexico opens up its long-shuttered energy sector. In May, the government said that air quality levels in Mexico City and its surrounding areas were the worst in 14 years.

A ban in key metropolitan areas could hinder the development of the potential market, which would concern U.S. traders.

Mexicoโ€™s energy regulator CRE expects a new norm on oil quality standards, NOM-016-CRE-2016, to be published next week in the official gazette. It will come into effect in late October, and is a periodic review replacing previous norms.

There were no immediate details on any other fuel norm changes in the pipeline.

The new standard establishes quality parameters for gasoline, liquid gas, diesel and jet fuel, for a period of up to five years.

The ban on the sale of gasoline oxygenated with ethanol covers Mexico City and a host of surrounding municipalities in the State of Mexico, as well as Guadalajara, the capital of Jalisco state and Monterrey, the capital of Nuevo Leon.

โ€œDue to altitude and heavy traffic, it was decided that the most appropriate measure at this time was to prohibit the sale and marketing of gasoline oxygenated with ethanol because it is a precursor of ozone and we have a contamination problem,โ€ a CRE official said, asking not to be named in line with policy.
33 REPLIES 33

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How bout not microcontrolling the cost of corn (food cost is ten times that for ethanol) then makes a deal with latin countries to sell corn to them for food if they pass along the savings for tortillas? Then people may want to stay there.

No! Wait! That'd be intelligent. Can't have that...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Lets all just go back to horses and covered wagons! Oh ... can't do that either. With all the farm land and forest land being turned into stinkin' concrete suburbia, there's no where left for the horses to graze!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
If only that tax (ethanol) would be paid only by those that believe in the scam. You are welcome to send a check to the farmer of your choice.

You don't have to buy ethanol gasoline if you don't want to.

How does one buy fuel without ethanol, all the pumps here in Vegas have mandatory ethanol requirements as well many other cities and states.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Send money not kisses ๐Ÿ™‚

LA TIMES HEADLINES

"Always look on the bright side of life, says CEO who raised EpiPen price by more than 400%"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Ain't life grand?"

Uh, yeah mine is, too bad that yours isn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The USA produces and exports more crude oil than Saudi Arabia. Not only that the whole world wants it because it's the lightest crude on earth. Easiest to refine. Mexico got on it's hands and knees and trades multiple barrels of MAYA crude for fracked crude to ease the strain on it's fragile processing equipment. China is paying top dollar for fracked crude for it ease in refining. Much of it goes to it's military. Remember them? The new threat in the southest? And when you fuel up your motorhome you are underwriting all of it. Ain't life grand?

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If only that tax (ethanol) would be paid only by those that believe in the scam. You are welcome to send a check to the farmer of your choice.

You don't have to buy ethanol gasoline if you don't want to.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it is true that there are a lot of downsides to adding grain-based ethanol to gasoline. On the other hand, when I used to siphon gas back in the bad old days, it never tasted as good as it does now! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Look on the bright side, right??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
I don't really care if it's better for the environment or not.

I'd rather pay US corn farmers for fuel than some sheik overseas.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really care if it's better for the environment or not.

I'd rather pay US corn farmers for fuel than some sheik overseas.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

prairie_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Come on electric vehicles, the sooner the better. Lithium battery or hydrogen fuel cell either or.:)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
All this while we are headed to 15% corn squizzins' in the USA!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Mexico will ban the sale of gasoline oxygenated with ethanol beginning in late October in three major urban centers as part of a push to combat the worst pollution in over a decade due to high concentrations of ozone in the atmosphere, government officials say."

How will banning something that isn't even being used, help "combat the worst pollution in over a decade"? That has to rank as one of the most idiotic statements I've read in quite some time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It was also claimed to stretch ""failing supplies of crude oil""
Prices have jumped the prez is begging Saudi Arabia to increase production on million barrels a day while an enormous percentage of our fracked crude is being shipped to China.
Government is silent (higher revenue from taxes) and RV'ing is being threatened. Nothing incites hyper-inflation like rising energy costs...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have said all along that the adding of alcohol over 1 or 2 percent is a scam (1 or 2 percent is what Standard Oil used to call De-Icer in the winter time and it worked too) Stories omitted.

But the production of Alcohol generates more pollution than it eliminates. Just moves it to a different address is all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times