cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert TT Leveling System issues

JDsdogs
Nomad
Nomad

We recently purchased a trailer with a Lippert TT Leveling system.

We have been running RV’s in one form or another for over 4 decades, all have had manual leveling systems. This is our first with an “automatic Leveling system”. Not something I would have ordered, but it was already installed. 

Either one of two things, one, the abilities of this system are greatly exaggerated, or two, I’m not bright enough to operate it properly. At the time of the purchase walk through, we were shown to turn on the power, hit auto level, not move inside the trailer and it automatically leveled. Of course this was on a paved, level lot. 

In the manual I had to download off the internet, under features it claims; “Fast, accurate automatic electric leveling”. Baloney!  I had stronger language in mind but thought I’d keep it family friendly. Unless you are already on level ground, it doesn’t work. I could understand it not being up to the task if it were  6 or more inches off level. I park the trailer in the same place we parked our Class A motor home for 2 decades.  To get the Motor Home level in this spot we had to raise which ever corner was to the SW, 2 inches .  We attempt to level the trailer with the  supposed automatic system and it does all kinds of strange things.  And yes, we have done the complete factory reset of the system multiple times as well as the “zero point” set. On a couple of occasions, when the system finally stopped, the wheels on the right side of the trailer are totally off the ground and the forward/left jack pad is totally off the ground. Took the trailer back to the dealer and they checked it out to find that 2 of the jack plugs were switched at the control board. Thought, that should do it.  Nope, same thing, different day. 

The only way we can make this work is to let the system get all the jacks on the ground, turn off the system power, turn it on and go into manual mode in the menu. There, with the help of a bullet level, minor adjustments get us to level. Is this common with this system, or do I have a bad/damaged unit?  Or is this about as good as these things work?

17 REPLIES 17

First off, when you say " auto leveling"  is it the ground control 4.0?  4 jacks or 6 jacks? electric or hydraulic? It shouldn't make a difference, but I am curious...   

As far as a fix, suck it up and take it back to the dealer BEFORE the warranty expires and YOU are S.O.O.L.  MY 6 point works flawless every time, EACH jack is rated for 8,000# and the "do not use to change tires" notes are from the lawyers to make sure their butt is covered.. maybe not so much on the 4 point...  Heck, there is a site or 2 that after the auto level is done, my 1 side tires are off the ground due to the grade of the site.... It stayed like that for a week... 

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sorry for late reply. 

Mine is the TT system.  4 jacks and tongue jack control.  

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

They make it overly complicated and this causes them to do weird things (and while not the end of the world, they aren't supposed to have tires of the ground).

I would prefer a simple system with an electronic level and 4 old school switches, so I could control front, back, left and right. It would still do it just as quick but with no brain to go haywire, it shouldn't do goofy things.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

@valhalla360 wrote:

They make it overly complicated and this causes them to do weird things (and while not the end of the world, they aren't supposed to have tires of the ground).

I would prefer a simple system with an electronic level and 4 old school switches, so I could control front, back, left and right. It would still do it just as quick but with no brain to go haywire, it shouldn't do goofy things.

thats old school stabalizer jack thinking, if you are unlevel enough, side to side, you will have wheels off the ground with a frame leveling system, the only way to stop that is to use blocks under the tires to level it side to side first, or just not use sites that unlevel which  I try to do.  when you do a auto level it takes most of the weight off the tires anyways so the suspension isn't able to cause movment.

the good thing is you don't have to have it, buy a rv with out it if thats what you like, or never push the auto level button just run it in manual mode.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Manufacturer disagrees....they say no wheels of the ground. 

Likewise stabilizers have never been recommended for leveling.  

As far as buying...unless you special order...these systems are pretty much standard on all but the smallest 5ers and manual mode requires scrolling thru multiple menus. 

It's technology for the sake of technology.  A simple set of switches would be easier and more reliable. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

"Likewise stabilizers have never been recommended for leveling." 

Customer disagrees. Owners manual. "Ground Control TT Leveling System". Header on first page states "Leveling and Stabilization". On page one under features; "Fast, accurate automatic leveling". In Lipperts case, what the difference between Stabilizers and levelers?

the difference is a stabalize on older rv's that you manualy wind down are at the outside corners of your rv frame.  they are not powerfull and are ment to be dropped only after you level side to side with blocks under the tires and front to back with the hitch jack.  they are ment to take the bounce out and that is it.  

these are not mounted at the end of the fram and if you have a longer rv (mine is on the boarder) you might need 6 jacks instead of 4) my fronts are rated for something stupid  and the back are a little less, its works out to over twice the gvw of my 5th they can lift.  but the placment of the rear jacks on a 4 jack system is slightly behind the rear wheels not at the far end so they are on strong points of the frame where there isn't flex, this is why they are able to actualy level instead of just stabalixe and take the tires out of the picture movement wise, they actualy lift the rv so the weight is almost off the tires in an ideal senario, in a less than ideal side to side they may lift a tire off the ground trying to get level.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

A mosquito can fly but a fly can't mosquito....likewise levelers stabilize but stabilizers don't level 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Perfect answer LOL

However, if it says "leveling" I expect it to do just that. 

weird because my manual I got with my 5th wheel showed me how to lift the wheels off the ground for maintainance and storage, and said it wasnt an issue to worry about.  but af far as wheel off the ground goes you have to be pretty darn unlevel, I have only seen it in one campsite and I did put a complaint into the campground asking how they though a 6" sloap over 8 feet was ok for a camp site.  

as for tech for the sake of teck, heck no, it is the best thing since sliced bread.  setting up takes 1 minuit verses running around with a level adjusting this and that, and 5 min later your still not level and soaked with sweat from spinning the jacks, and befor you say use a inpack gun to turn them, you know how anoying that is to other people... 

manual mode doesnt require any scrolling, you push the arrow padand you can do fronts back left and right side.  to lift it requires you push the reverse button then user thoes same keys.  yes if you want to split it to individual jacks you have to go through the menus, but I know I can bring the little remote out for mine and have access to individual jacks right off the bat if I want it.  I usaly just use that for the slides though.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I just checked the manual and stopped at page 4. Page 2 and page 4 had warnings not to lift the tires off the ground. 

First time I used it,  I had already leveled side to side and it lifted the passenger side tires off the ground.  I've also seen numerous posts on a Facebook group I'm on, where one of the front legs is off the ground. 

I've only been able to get to manual mode by scrolling thru menus.  I  haven't been able to get the phone app to work.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

the only reason for that, I could see would be them worried about blocking the tires..   you know its like of like they used to tell you how to change the sparkplugs in owners manuals now they tell you not to drink brake fluid.......

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II

I have the Lippert auto-level and it works as advertised. If it is too far out of level (front-to-back or side-to-side) to operate, it displays a message to that effect on the control panel. (This usually only happens when I have just unhitched on a front-to-back downhill slope and the nose is too high. I lower the front jacks manually and then auto level will work.) I've never had a problem auto-leveling side-to-side, but sometimes, the wheels on one side do end up off the ground. Nothing to worry about. And sometimes I do have to put blocks under some of the jacks.

Given the prior swapped connections, I suspect a problem with the system. Take it back to your dealer and setup an out-of-level situation. (Blocks under wheels on one side.) Then if it fails, the dealer can see that there is a problem with the system. (When I bought my new 5th, there was a problem with the control panel, and it had to be replaced.) 

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Sadly, my dealer is a ways away, 75 mi each way.   Before warranty runs out, or if I have another warranty issue to deal with I will request an out of level setup so they can see what it's doing. Thanks for the suggestion.