cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore Power

Pops_R
Explorer
Explorer
When connected to shore power it should run everything on the MH correct? In my case (and we are in extreme cold weather in Colorado Springs at present) the furnace will only work when connected to the house dual 6 volt batteries that came with the new MH. If I use the disconnect switch inside the MH to just use the shore power then the furnace will not work or any interior lights yet the TV, Microwave, and electrical plus do have power.

The house batteries just continually loose power and will only last for about 2-3 hours and I need to start the engine to bring them back up and maintain the heat using the furnace.

If left alone the dual 6 volt house batteries just drain down till the Xantrex PRO Inverter gives the low voltage error code, so to avoid that requires the MH engine to be turned on every hour or two for a few minutes to bring the batteries back up to keep the MH warm and its underbelly heated for the holding tanks.

During the day time I can shut off the furnace and only turn it on as needed and use the electric fireplace heater to maintain a comfort zone inside the MH

I have to assume those original house batteries are just weak damaged and unable to hold the charge but also have to wonder about the 1800 Watt inverter that is said to be able to run everything in the MH and keep the house batteries charged up.

Any insight from anyone out there on this situation?

2015 Thor Challenger
22 REPLIES 22

Pops_R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Will see how tonight goes all seems to be in check now and working but the night will tell if I wake up with last years problems

Happy New Year to all

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Furnace is 12v. When you disconnect there is no 12v for the furnace. leave the disconnect switch on when on shore power.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
My first try would be to put known good battery(ies) into the system. I would bet this will fix your problems.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
On a brand new coach, I would bet on the reverse polarity fuses being blown (someone installed a battery backwards), or the converter just not plugged in.
-- Chris Bryant

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Before condemning the converter, verify that it has 120 volts going into it.
Verify 12 volts DC is coming out or not.
Check reverse polarity fuses in the converter if equipped.
If 12 volts DC is leaving the converter, make sure it is getting to the 12 volts DC distribution panel.
Check fuses that go to batteries.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
As said... it is time to replace the converter.

Slap a portable battery charger direct on the batteries to get you through the trip or until you can get in for service. Portable needs to be 10 amps or more. 20 or 40 would be best in the winter.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Xantrex PRO XM 1800 is an inverter

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-Inverters/PRO-Series-Inverters/975-0263-01-01_Rev-C(artwork)%...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Your converter is dead or is so bad that it's putting out a bunch of AC.
Time to upgrade to a three stage charger unit.

MrWizard
The inverter can only do either or...not both
If you are on shore power, the Xantrex combo should be charging the batteries

The batteries will not be charged IF, you use the disconnect
The disconnect is between the charger/Xantrex converter inverter and the batteries and ALL house circuits
House 12v circuits area connected at the battery then go to fuse box power center, so no 12v power anywhere on house lighting when you use disconnect
On shore power disconnect must be on to charge batteries,
Inverter function Off, charge function on
Do Not use inverter power sucking on batteries, use shore power
If inverter does not switch to charge you have a transfer switch problem aka pass thru problem
Shoe power should pass thru to circuits, converter should be charging batteries , inverter making 120vac should be off
Inverter making power, will use more than charger can make to charge batteries
It's a down hill slide, trying to charge batteries, while using an inverter to take power from the batteries
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Just connect/clamp any simple 10 amp or better battery charger to the house batteries and plug it in to your 120v.
This.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Pops R wrote:
I have only disconnected the batteries in an attempt to see if anything changes by someones suggestion. That is when I found out only the TV,Microwave and electrical plugs have power with straight shore power and the furnace does not.

As already stated like your lights the furnace works off of 12V DC (Battery/Converter) power not shore power.....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your furnace needs dc for the controls to work. You cannot disconnect the batteries and have it work. Same with frig controls. Needs dc to work.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Pops,

Verify there is charging during shore power connections.

Measure the voltage of the battery bank.

Plug in the Shore power.

Measure again.

If the voltage does not increase, then the charger part of the electrical system is not working.

As a temporary measure use a battery charger, while trouble shooting what is wrong with the system.

It might be as simple as a tripped breaker.

Since the inverter side of the unit is still working, I'd be tempted to add a stand alone converter if there has been a partial failure of the Xantrex.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what RV you have but my furnace is 12 volts DC and runs off my battery bank. If I shut off my battery disconnect for storage nothing on 12 volts runs and batteries don't charge.

Does your RV have a 110 volt AC furnace? Guess it is possible but never heard of any unless they are on specific RVs. :h