cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dodge cummins models and reliability

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an old post from ib516 where he gives a summary of the dodge cummins models by year in terms of reliability. searching through 14000 posts is like looking for a needle in a haystack :E
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19
38 REPLIES 38

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
2007 and earlier are difficult to beat. I have a 2007.5 with the newer 6.7L. I have considerable problems with it the 1st 2 years of ownership. All of the problems were emissions systems related causing trouble with the EGR, Heater grid, Turbo and O2 sensors. After many trips to the dealership, lots of TSB's, 2 new turbos and top engine cleaning twice I was about to get rid of it under lemon laws. However, Chrysler offered me a 100K mile $0 full warranty. I kept it. That was 50,000 miles and 4 years ago. I have not had any trouble with it since. I believe the changes made corrected the issues I had. Very strong great towing truck.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer
Just bite the bullet and get a new one. Seriously, the new 3500's have so many improvements they will last you a long time with very little trouble.

I have a 2013 Ram 3550 with Aisin and it is a great truck. I have had numerous Fords and Dodge's but this one is by far my favorite.

Dodge had two weak links in the past, the front end and the transmissions. Both have been addressed in this truck.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
MPI Mallard, that is one sweet setup.

Thanks goducks, Frau Blรผcher and I get compliments all the time on our rig, the combo of our Dodge dually and our CC Daydreamer is a terrific full-time rig and that truck is just rock solid on the highway, I know it's a clichรฉ' but she really doesn't know that 15.000lbs fiver is behind her and at 12-14MPG under load(mind you that's on flat ground with no headwind)I've got nothing to complain about. One weird thing though, a guy at our Canadian resort had the same truck and last fall I guess a motor mount let go and the whole engine almost went through the grill after hearing about this I did some poking around on the web and found nothing so I'm assuming that was an odd-ball situation but he got outta' fifth-wheeling right after.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
bovellois wrote:
I am looking for an old post from ib516 where he gives a summary of the dodge cummins models by year in terms of reliability.
I've been looking..

Did you respond in the thread?

Yes I did. Then this thread took on a life of its own!
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
My current Dodge/Ram has been more reliable than the Ford and Chevy trucks I drove from early '88 till early '09 as a tradesman for a company for 21 years putting over 100k on each.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bovellois wrote:
I am looking for an old post from ib516 where he gives a summary of the dodge cummins models by year in terms of reliability.
I've been looking..

Did you respond in the thread?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Bluhorn wrote:

I understand your feelings and respect your opinion, but yours is the exception not the rule or they would all have these issues. The brakes are indicative of how the previous owner drove it. The rest, who the heck knows. My front brakes have been replaced at 80K intervals, rotors turned and still are original rotors. Back brakes are original. Everything is original except blower motor. I would be unhappy if I were you too. I hope it gives you long service , cause these things are not cheap wheather new or used.Enjoy your day and have a happy Easter!!

I only posted because I wholeheartedly agreed with wintersun's post. His comments describe my truck perfectly, and demonstrate the genesis of the comment " the Dodge Ram is a shipping crate for a really great engine". In my litany of nickel dime repair issues, I overlooked the most recent of a electrical voltage problem that turned out to be an issue with high resistance to current flow from the passenger side positive cable. Replaced both positive battery cables with OEM for $300 (there are no aftermarket 'exact fit'). Whoever heard of a problem like that with a battery cable, regardless of vehicle age? Even more disturbing, alternator voltage output is regulated by the PCM, not an internal regulator on the alternator. If that function fails, the only fix is to replace the PCM ($1700). My point is people pay good money for these vehicles from all the manufacturers. For the price paid, they are entitled to better quality and more thoughtful design and function than they are getting.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
crcr wrote:
boogie_4wheel wrote:
bovellois wrote:

Someone told me recently that the latest 5.9 have had major problems. This someone had to rebuild his engine at 80k.

A pooched injector can wipe out the engine quickly. The general practice over on the CumminsForum is to add a 2-micron filter inline before the injection pump.

I love my '05. I wish I had more than 4 gears though; just something to think about.

x2 ... I've got a 04.5. Great truck, great engine. Need more gears.
Is there an AT with more gears that would be a bolt up?
Or is it cost feasible to change out the AT for the 6 speed manual Dodge offered?

It's not feasible to swap a better auto trans into it. Yes you can get standalone TCM for an Allison and adapters to make the swap but it's very cost prohibitive.
A 6 speed manual would be easier as you could strip all the parts from a donor with a NV5600 or G56 but still costly and time consuming.
There are enough manual trans 3rd gen Rams that if you were serious about switching you could find a new truck and sell yours. This is the best option IMO unless you're looking for a major project and have the tools and time to kill.

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that it was too expensive, but thought I would ask.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MPI Mallard, that is one sweet setup.

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Bluhorn wrote:

Sorry you have had a bad experience.
Wintersuns post has no merit as any rant on any other manufacturer......With a few exceptions of course. You cant go wrong buying any of them.

When I bought the 3500, it was only 3 years old and had 20K miles on it. Previous owner had towed a fifth wheel with it as I did once I bought it. The powertrain has been perfect, even the often maligned (on this forum sometimes) 48RE transmission has been flawless. 73K on the odometer now.

I beg to differ, but water leaks into the cab from multiple locations, needing a complete front brake job at 44K including replacement of cracked rotors, a leaking AC refrigerant system that has so far defied attempts to isolate the source, upper control arms, sway bar links and bushings, & a grenaded power steering pump are hardly 'run of the mill' issues, and some of them I view as very deficient in build
quality/design and more than 'expected' maintenance.

I understand your feelings and respect your opinion, but yours is the exception not the rule or they would all have these issues. The brakes are indicative of how the previous owner drove it. The rest, who the heck knows. My front brakes have been replaced at 80K intervals, rotors turned and still are original rotors. Back brakes are original. Everything is original except blower motor. I would be unhappy if I were you too. I hope it gives you long service , cause these things are not cheap wheather new or used.Enjoy your day and have a happy Easter!!
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Bluhorn wrote:

Sorry you have had a bad experience.
Wintersuns post has no merit as any rant on any other manufacturer......With a few exceptions of course. You cant go wrong buying any of them.

When I bought the 3500, it was only 3 years old and had 20K miles on it. Previous owner had towed a fifth wheel with it as I did once I bought it. The powertrain has been perfect, even the often maligned (on this forum sometimes) 48RE transmission has been flawless. 73K on the odometer now.

I beg to differ, but water leaks into the cab from multiple locations, needing a complete front brake job at 44K including replacement of cracked rotors, a leaking AC refrigerant system that has so far defied attempts to isolate the source, upper control arms, sway bar links and bushings, & a grenaded power steering pump are hardly 'run of the mill' issues, and some of them I view as very deficient in build quality/design and more than 'expected' maintenance.

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Just Love's my 6.7L Dodge Dually, 07' and 95.000KM's and not a whisper, put new brake pads on her last summer but she gets her oil changed twice a year( about every 6000KM's) and her fuel filter every winter. most reliable, well built vehicle I've ever owned and she looks soooo gooood to boot!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
crcr wrote:
boogie_4wheel wrote:
bovellois wrote:

Someone told me recently that the latest 5.9 have had major problems. This someone had to rebuild his engine at 80k.

A pooched injector can wipe out the engine quickly. The general practice over on the CumminsForum is to add a 2-micron filter inline before the injection pump.

I love my '05. I wish I had more than 4 gears though; just something to think about.

x2 ... I've got a 04.5. Great truck, great engine. Need more gears.
Is there an AT with more gears that would be a bolt up?
Or is it cost feasible to change out the AT for the 6 speed manual Dodge offered?

It's not feasible to swap a better auto trans into it. Yes you can get standalone TCM for an Allison and adapters to make the swap but it's very cost prohibitive.
A 6 speed manual would be easier as you could strip all the parts from a donor with a NV5600 or G56 but still costly and time consuming.
There are enough manual trans 3rd gen Rams that if you were serious about switching you could find a new truck and sell yours. This is the best option IMO unless you're looking for a major project and have the tools and time to kill.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
wintersun wrote:
Problem is that the engines are going into Dodge/Ram trucks so the "engine" may be fine but if the transmission, brakes, AC, cooling system, electrical components, or interior stuff like the lights and door switches and instruments have problems you will still be visiting the repair shop and paying out large sums.

That's the story of my '05 3500. Engine and the rest of the pieces parts to rear wheels have been great. Rest of the truck? Not so much.:(

Sorry you have had a bad experience. But with all trucks some things go with age. I think most people can agree that the majority of the Dodges hold up just fine. How we use them, where we use them, bought new or used, all comes into play on troubles we have down the line. I have had very good luck with mine.At 160 K the
only body related repair so far is a blower motor( knock on wood). The drivers seat edge is breaking down but thats with all manufacturers over time. I will say that the
interiors from the Daimler years were kinda cheap looking but seem to hold up ok. The Dodges or Rams have really improved since then and are quite an exceptional
truck although there is not a bad truck out there. All have pluses and minuses.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky