Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Cruise Control 02 Bounder Ford F-53

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy;
2002 Fleetwood bounder 36S, Ford V-10.
Awhile back, the cruise control started to become intermittent and eventually just stopped.
Ford dealer gave me an estimate of $2,400 or so.
He said something about a new part that needed to be fabricated, and something about a vacuum module on the one not working.
I don't miss it TOO much, but it does become a PIA for longer trips.
So, I am looking at an aftermarket unit.
Looking for some direction.
Anyone have experience with one of these, and what is involved in them?
I see several questions about "by-wire" etc.
As usual, lot's of questions.
Thanks in advance.
John
21 REPLIES 21

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
ther is no cruise On light in my rv.

i suppose that a multimeter on the sensor and a second person to press the brake pedal would do the trick

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
PursuitInsight wrote:
ebrake or parking brake has a sensor on the ebrake pedal. it brakes separatly a drum and pads on the tranmission end.
not related the the real brakes or cc

the one on the master is connected to the cc. as a second secure cancel way for the cc

your ebrake issue is possibly just a sensor adjustment or the pedal spring not bringing the pedal back enough. pull on it to see

Thanks, that helps me understand.
I will try the "pull" when I get home, just to end the light being on.
I may need to see if the sensor on the Master is bad.
Ideas how to test?
I thought by disconnecting the wires, and observing as either OPEN or Shorted, the cruise ON light might work. It did not.
So, probably not the sensor?

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
ebrake or parking brake has a sensor on the ebrake pedal. it brakes separatly a drum and pads on the tranmission end.
not related the the real brakes or cc

the one on the master is connected to the cc. as a second secure cancel way for the cc

your ebrake issue is possibly just a sensor adjustment or the pedal spring not bringing the pedal back enough. pull on it to see

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent post, thanks!
I did note several things in the past that were resolved (installed an new air horn) wherein a mechanic friend told me the cruise shared a ground with the horn. Fixed ground, not cruise control.
My parking break light is on all the time.
I went out and unplugged the sensor. Not sure if it is normally open or normally closed, I decided to extend the harness anyway:
Cut the wires, and checked the light: Still on (I expected as much)
Extended and reconnected them, and then realized if the sensor was bad, it would not show with it being unplugged.
Question: IS the sensor on the side of the brake fluid resolver the main brake issue light? Seems it would be, measures the differential when fluid is low, sets orange BRAKE light?
If the E Brake light is on all the time, I am now suspecting that would make the CC not work, as it appears to it that the :brake" is on?
So, maybe the switch sensor?
I will check that harness this afternoon, thanks ever so much, great post!

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
John,

it is simple to check the cruise control harness connection, it takes more time to read this than doing it.

-open the house engine cover
-follow the plastic cable from engine throtle control, leading backwards and then forward to the front top left side
-use a light to see the speed control module
-use your fingers to push the connector in

i will not highjack your thread and create one for my own results.

the cruise is connected to:
- horn steering wheel button providing ground (mine had finally stopped working)
- brake pedal switch, cancel cruise
- master cylinder with a pressure sensor, cancels cruise

not connected to the parking brake

Addition on Sunday. after a test drive, my cruise works and i confirm:

thar the parking brake it Not cancelling or preventing the cruise

to work on my 2002 f53 lower end (frame is october 2002 and the house is 2003)

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'll get off my lazy rear and fix it tonight then, see if that helps.
Thanks

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmcgilvary wrote:
Well, that does about sound how this went.
I do have an issue where my "parking brake" light is on, something a guy told me about a short in the switch inside the master brake cylinder?
But, I do not remember the timing on that and the cc no longer working.
Can I assume if that light is on (indicating the Emergency brake is on, the cruise would not work?

yes, or at lease mine will not work

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that does about sound how this went.
I do have an issue where my "parking brake" light is on, something a guy told me about a short in the switch inside the master brake cylinder?
But, I do not remember the timing on that and the cc no longer working.
Can I assume if that light is on (indicating the Emergency brake is on, the cruise would not work?

PursuitInsight
Explorer
Explorer
if i remember well the servo motor is next to the air duct that feeds the engine. it has a large flat connector with 7 wires
it has a very long cable leading to pulling the gas pedal control
i had to disconnect/remove the rubber duct going forward to the engin to allow working/seeing it with a flashlight

the servo is attached for my rv body with an L shape braket that moves when hitting a bump on the road. servo plug touching some other body part
slowly disconnecting the plug, loosing the cruise intermittantly at first and all of it later

it was intermittent 3 weeks ago, lost it last week end

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Ah, indeed! Great idea, and I do appreciate that.
I am going to Okeechobee KOA this weekend, and always find some good folks there.
I appreciate that advice.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
John, you may not be mechanically inclined, but sometimes, you can just find the various components and follow them looking for any obvious issues or loose connections. Ask a handy friend to help you troubleshoot. You may get lucky.

Better yet, go to a couple different campgrounds, lift the hood and look like you're struggling with a repair. You'll probably get several guys you will come over and do the trouble shooting for you.:B
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if I have not fixed it by the time I visit the UP, maybe I can get some help ๐Ÿ™‚
Thanks, I sure appreciate that offer.
And, yes, I prefer no recalls ๐Ÿ™‚

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I think that's good news. I know my 2004 wasn't recalled. Not sure when the end date was.

Wish you were closer. I've been all through mine, I know I could make yours work again. There are wiring diagrams in some of the threads out there. Up to pinning out the connector at the servo module? I think that's where I'd start.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

jmcgilvary
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, nothing on my VIN.