Need Suggestions on getting a tow vehicle

Explorer

Need Suggestions on getting a tow vehicle

Presently I own a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2 liter 4 cyl. and love it. It still gets great gas mileage, and runs great. Unfortunately, we just bought a 1995 Jayco popup camper and the car cannot tow it. The trailer weighs a little over 2000 pounds. I really hate to get rid of my Suzuki but I also own a 4wd 1998 Chevy Tracker that I love and want to keep for off roading.

So, I need to get a tow vehicle. The problem is, I have talked to dealerships and the sales people seem to want to push me to get a monster size tow vehicle. I do not want something huge that gets terrible gas mileage.

I looked at used vehicles but most of the salespeople are clueless about towing capacity of vehicles and those that do all want to steer me to the big high buck vehicles with big motors.

The vehicle I need should have the following:

Room for 4 to 5 people (when not hauling stuff in the back.. i.e. the seats lift up for passengers)

Get at least 25 mpg highway when not towing. I looked at crew cab trucks and the ones that can pull the trailer get lousy gas mileage, and the ones that do get good gas mileage have a 4 cyl that won't tow my trailer.

Have room in the back to carry a medium dog crate, coolers and everything else that I do not want to put in the trailer.

Hopefully cost around $10K for a used vehicle or $15 to 20K for a new vehicle.

I hope someone can give me some suggestions...