cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Suggestions on getting a tow vehicle

EvilUncleEarnie
Explorer
Explorer
Presently I own a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2 liter 4 cyl. and love it. It still gets great gas mileage, and runs great. Unfortunately, we just bought a 1995 Jayco popup camper and the car cannot tow it. The trailer weighs a little over 2000 pounds. I really hate to get rid of my Suzuki but I also own a 4wd 1998 Chevy Tracker that I love and want to keep for off roading.

So, I need to get a tow vehicle. The problem is, I have talked to dealerships and the sales people seem to want to push me to get a monster size tow vehicle. I do not want something huge that gets terrible gas mileage.

I looked at used vehicles but most of the salespeople are clueless about towing capacity of vehicles and those that do all want to steer me to the big high buck vehicles with big motors.

The vehicle I need should have the following:

Room for 4 to 5 people (when not hauling stuff in the back.. i.e. the seats lift up for passengers)

Get at least 25 mpg highway when not towing. I looked at crew cab trucks and the ones that can pull the trailer get lousy gas mileage, and the ones that do get good gas mileage have a 4 cyl that won't tow my trailer.

Have room in the back to carry a medium dog crate, coolers and everything else that I do not want to put in the trailer.

Hopefully cost around $10K for a used vehicle or $15 to 20K for a new vehicle.

I hope someone can give me some suggestions...
28 REPLIES 28

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a good deal on a Peterbilt 379. Just kidding. A mini van with a 3,500 lb. towing capacity should do everything you need. Perhaps a Dodge Grand Caravan.
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
unless it's real heavy popup, it should be able to tow it.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mad_trapper
Explorer
Explorer
When you add in your passengers and gear, I'd say no.

EvilUncleEarnie
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor who attends vehicle auctions and fixes them up and sells them for a living, just brought home a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe. In looking up the stats it should be able to haul my trailer with few problems.

I checked the stats on it and they are as follows:

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L
SUV
MPG: Up to 19 city, 25 highway
Towing capacity: 2,700 to 3,300 lbs
Fuel tank capacity: 19 gal
Wheel size: 16" diameter, 6.5" width

Any complaint or good things about this car?

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
As some one who towed a 3000 lbs popup . TT he only way I averaged that was my ford explorer gave 19mpg not towing and 17 towing. My daily driver is a 2005 fz1. You can decent one foe 2k. The bike avges 40 -48 mpg depending on how many times I went into zoom mode.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

mad_trapper
Explorer
Explorer
Only one I'd consider per your needs is the Cherokee. Think I'd rather get an Explorer or new style Durango instead.
I was in your shoes recently looking for the right suv. Bought a v6 Ram 1500 instead, gettin 21mpg. Couldn't be happier.

EvilUncleEarnie
Explorer
Explorer
I came across this... Some of these looks promising.. just have to find used ones..

https://www.cars.com/articles/top-10-best-compact-suvs-for-towing-1420680544464/

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid anything with the ZF 9spd transmission. Older Toyota Highlander probably hits most of your requests. Check Edmunds.com for specific years. I'd rather tow your combo with 5k capacity than 3500lb capacity.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
EvilUncleEarnie wrote:

In reading similar posts on other RV sites, it seems like everyone is suggesting half ton trucks.

For a 2000+ lb pop-up trailer?
Good grief, that's ridiculous.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Get a dedicated TV and dedicated DD, Then the mileage not towing will be infinite.
The DD could be a hybrid of some sort.
We use a smart car as a DD and the combined average with the Volvo is around 25 mpg.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

EvilUncleEarnie
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to say that the vehicle I get will be mostly a daily driver. We only go camping a couple times a year.

In reading similar posts on other RV sites, it seems like everyone is suggesting half ton trucks. Not sure I want to go that big. I had a Chevy half ton for quite a few years and that is why I went with something a lot smaller. Trying to park the thing in some places sucked.

mad_trapper
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
mad trapper wrote:
An older Honda Pilot maybe for that price. Doubt you'll get the 25mpg. My 2013 Pilot averaged 16mpg, could tow 4500 lbs and was 32k new.

You couldn't get a Honda Pilot to get 25 mpg. if you pushed it off a cliff. This comment is from personal experience and yes I traded mine, and one of the reasons was POOR mileage, but there are many more reasons not to get a Pilot.

My Pilot couldn't get out of it's own way, couldn't imagine what it would've towed like. Terrible in the snow too. I get better gas mileage with my Ram.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look at VW TDI vehicles and diesel jeep SUVs about the other way to get that mileage no. Towing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Our Pilot has been flawless for approaching 6 years and 65,000 miles, but it has a bit of a drinking problem. Aside from mileage Pilots are great, but you're not getting 20+ in them on a regular basis.

A minivan might be your best bet, or a 4 cyl cute-ute.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB