DRW vs SRW Trucks

Explorer

Re: DRW vs SRW Trucks

It depends on where you want to go with your camper. Some places, a tent topper on a Jeep might be what's needed to get there, or maybe a backpackers tent and an ATV is required...

For me, a 4wd pickup with a not too wide, fairly low roof height truck camper, that doesn't stick out much beyond the rear of the truck, is fine for everywhere I've gone. Most of that was done with my old 8.5' Six Pac on the F350. The Six Pac was a little wider, longer, taller and heavier than the camper I have now, but not by very much.

I really like that I can close the tailgate with the new, shorter length camper on the truck. I get to have a porch/tailgate and still tow a trailer, without extending the hitch. The Six Pac was just long enough that the tailgate couldn't be closed.

The 8.5' Six Pac was a vast improvement over my previous 10.5' Vacationeer, which was also wider and taller. I never liked all that extra camper length sticking out the back, especially since it didn't really equate to much more usable interior space, compared to the 2 foot shorter Six Pac.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear