Yellowstone/GTNP: move or stay put?

Explorer

Yellowstone/GTNP: move or stay put?

We are planning a summer 2016 Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP for a family of four with kids 10 and 7. This would be our first trip to these parks.

Our understanding is that these parks are huge, so were wondering if it would be best to pick maybe 1 campground for GTNP and 2 for YNP, spending 3-4 days at each one so we get to spend our time exploring the surrounding park rather than simply driving to get back to base. Is this wise? If so, what spots/campgrounds/areas/cities would you pair up to use as bases of operations?

I have of course heard about Colter Bay and Gros Ventre for GTNP so we could pick one of those and do everything for GT out of there. But for Yellowstone, I have much less info.

Looking at the map, there's the Yellowstone Lake area kind of in the center or south of center. Then there's West Yellowstone, MT over on the upper west side, Gardiner and Cooke City-Silver Gate on the north end, and then Wapiti and (further out) Cody on the east side.

We'd be approaching GTNP and YNP from the south (coming from western CO).

In case it matters, we have a 30' travel trailer. We are not opposed to doing some spurts of boondocking (like Gros Ventre) but my wife would not want a steady diet of it, so we'd need some access to hookups interspersed in there.

I appreciate your willingness to help us based on your experiences.
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch