Bears!!! Yosemite, Can I wake this thread up?

Explorer

Re: Bears!!! Yosemite, Can I wake this thread up?

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
E&J push'n wind wrote:
How strictly do they enforce the vehicle length rule? I find it curious that you can bring up to a 35' motorhome or 5th wheel trailer but you are limited to a 24' travel trailer. What gives? I read the "disclaimer" about maneuverability and all but IMHO that is pretty lame. Anyway, will they turn you away if you show up with something longer than a 24' TT? Anyone have any experience with that? I'd be curious to know.

Some of the restrictions have to do with the turning radius, or the width of the road where you have to make the turn to back-in or parking space length.

A 5th wheel will turn sharper than a TT of the same length. However, I've not seen any thing that says 35' 5er and 24' TT

limits for the same CG. Only 35' RV and 24' trailer limits. Those spots are usually limited for trailers because they also figure the TV length.

A motorhome may not turn sharper than a trailer of the same length, but will take less room in the parking spot than a TV and trailer. A motorhome will not swing as wide across the road when backing into a camping spot 90 degrees from the road.

One complaint I've seen about Yosemite several times is that the spot was big enough for the 5er/TT, but because of the narrow road and/or the rocks/ trees at the entrance of the camping spot - they did not have room to turn the trailer back into the camping spot. Hopefully you are booked into a spot with a 'double driveway' which will have room to park the TV next to the trailer, and a wider than 8' entrance to back into.

The only people I've heard of being turned away of those whose rig and TV did not fit completely into the parking spot.

PawPaw_n_Gram,

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. I've been in some of those "jams" where the TT would fit but it was a chore backing it in. I have a short WB TV (123") so I've been able to get into spaces that someone with a full sized P/U might have had their hands full trying to back into.

I asked the question because I know a lot of times it just depends on the "attendant" on post. You know the type, "officer Tackleberry" (Police Academy) enforcer vs. Your vehicle, your responsibility. I know out here in So Cal some of the State Beaches and Parks have a 24' TT length restriction too but it is not strictly enforced. I've seen 30' and 35' TT's in some of those parks, I don't know why they post the length restrictions unless it is to discourage the faint of heart or discourage those that are challenged when it comes to backing in. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Anyway, thanks for the reply's. I've got a voice mail to them that I've not heard back yet. I want to ask them first hand so I can make other arrangements if necessary.

JaxDad wrote:
It's likely nothing more than CYA. They do the same with some Provincial Parks up here.

If you ask them they say it's so people who can't drive don't scream at them when they scrape up their unit on a tree.

That makes sense, I've been there., done that though it wasn't bad. Just some "abraisions" from some strong rub marks from trees. Nothing to bad, I've done it before off roading back in the day with my 82 Datsun PU and 91 Toy 4Runner.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon