Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox vs Eagle Cap

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Can any one speak to the question of how the Arctic Fox and Eagle Cap (late models) compare for boon docking in winter conditions periodically.

I'm looked at a slider unit, and had been strongly considering an Arctic Fox.

What say yea?

Thanks again,
Bill
35 REPLIES 35

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

The way back machine does not work on here. Nine year old issues are either decided or abandoned at this point.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Yup, Nevermind the fact that ORV doesn’t make truck campers. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Trudina
Explorer
Explorer

Have you checked out the Outdoors RV brand made in La Grande OR.  They are associated with Arctic Fox.  We love our true all season ORV.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

This is a nine year old post. The OP probably resolved the question by now.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

skip247
Explorer
Explorer

I have OWNED both  AF 811 2017  and EC 850 2015 

THE BIGGEST THING WAS  Eagle Cap
USED Azdel😀, a thermoplastic composite that’s lighter, stronger, and can’t physically rot

WERE THE ARCTIC FOX  USED LUAN WOOD 🤔

one-piece cab over-the-nose   (better sealing from weather )Advantage  Eagle Cap

Thermal pane frameless windows (AF has dual pain but standard framed )Advantage  Eagle Cap 

rear step (TIE)  the fox landing is very good

Arctic-Fox-990-FoxLanding.jpg

and the  Adventurer’s Comfort Step

skip247_0-1707704985528.jpeg

outside doors  slam latches (just push and it closes) like higher end class  Advantage  Eagle Cap

Heki skylight  arctic Fox you have to go through the side window   Advantage  Eagle Cap

center of gravity TIE   both are  40 inches +/ -

Dry Weight  AF 3,468 pounds          EC 850  3,370 pounds TIE +/ -

AF Months 12 Structure Warranty  EC Three-year structural warranty  Advantage  Eagle Cap

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I had a $169,000 Holiday Rambler motorhome and it wasnt built as good as my Arctic Fox TC.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
I check the Lance mfg homepage, and a 2015 review in Truck Camper Magazine.

Neither source makes any mention of the Lance's winter/cold weather capabilities (?)

- Bill

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a Lance and skip the heavyweights
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the continuing wealth of information
- Bill

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Present day Eagle Caps are very good campers and built with superior materials.

EC uses high gloss fiberglass exterior panels backed with Adzel a plastic that helps with insulation and will not delaminate, rot or cause mold if you somehow develop a leak. EC uses a front nose cap that helps with aerodynamics. Comes with thermal pane windows as standard equipment.

AF still uses the old style filon backed with luan that will delaminate, rot and cause mold if it gets wet. No nose cap and thermal pane windows are not standard.

Personally I think the EC is just better built, but both would work well in the winter.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:

The Schwintek slide mechanism, is exposed i.e. the gear tracks noticable on the side wall, to freezing weather when the slide or slides are out.

Not on our EC, slide mechanism is underneath.

Confirmed dual pane windows standard on EC also.

EC has now gone to a full wall slide also...which I am NOT crazy about. Putting the fridge in the slide creates it's own issues. I do understand this is popular due to the extra floor space created.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
We successfully survived last year's "Polar Vortex". -18 F in Laramie and several more nights in Idaho well below zero. No freeze up. We did keep the slide in most of the time as all critical functions of the camper are usable with it in. Most of that time we were plugged in and used a small space heater which kept the camper warm enough. I do have a manual switch for the basement fan which I ran the entire time.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct the Northland campers are built in Nampa, Idaho and are not AF. But they are well built 4 season campers. I closed my post earlier saying I know little about AF campers.....I just know a lot about Northland and Eagle Cap Campers.

GARY
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Northland campers are NOT Northwood Arctic Fox campers! Arctic Fox are 4 season, but are heavy. Not familiar with Eagle Cap.