cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10 year trailer permit (mexico)

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 5th wheel in Feb. 2004. I'm not sure when either, 2005 possibly 2006 I got a 10 year permit for Mexico. (when did they first start issuing the 10 year permit?)

Anyway we stopped taking it to Mx about 4 years ago and sold the trailer 2 years ago here in Canada. I have never turned the permit in and really do not know where it is. There is a very slim chance of locating it. We are still travelling to Mx. getting importation permits for the same vehicle that we towed it with when we got the 10 year permit.

What kind of grief could I be in for when travelling to Mx. after that 10 year expires if it hasn't already?

Comments please.
7 REPLIES 7

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
TIP's and 10 year permits have been computerized for a long time. They are networked so you can return your permits at any crossing with a Banjercito.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Passport numbers continue to be the solitary ID for TIPS. If an individual gets deported and blacklisted then officials get stickier. But that's for an FMM.

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get the car permit online you'll know before you make the trip down to the border. I'm betting they have no record of a document issued 10 years ago and not computerized

Turtle-Toad
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 year permits came into existence in 2005. October I think.
Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
darbone: That is true if his permit has not expired. Once it has gone the 10 years and not cancelled it becomes a problem. But this is Mexico so I will add "maybe". Best to do all future paperwork in his wife's name.

Moisheh

darbone85737
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you need another 10 year permit I would guess (just my opinion) you can continue to get car permits the same way as you have been doing subsequently.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Where is your paperwork for that permit? Some on this forum claim that because you have a new passport they will not find the permit for your old trailer. I do not think that will be true today as everything is computerized. You can just use your wife's passport and get the new TIP in her name Cancelling your old permit can be a nightmare. Without the old sticker and the paperwork it is impossible .If they do find that permit has expired you will be denied entry into Mexico. Or you will not be able to get any vehicle permits. Don't know about fines. I find it hard to understand how people can be so casual about car permits. When you sold the trailer the sticker should have been removed and at that point you could have cancelled the permit. I was fortunate to have mine cancelled after the fact but it was difficult and expensive. I had the sticker and the paperwork.

Moisheh