cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A heads up on power

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
On our caravaan, we had damage to some rigs due to bad power. It was a 160 V. I tell people to buy either a surge guard or progressive industries protector. I am going to have to be more specific in future as to what they specifically need to purchase. We had

1) a blown digital clock
2) a blown convertor board
3) a blown satellite receiver PVR

In the first 2 cases they had bought a cheaper device to protect against surges (made by surge guard, which was the casue of the issue, 4 of the rigs had bought a cheaper product also made by surge guard that only protects aginst surges). This does nothing for continuous high or low voltage. In the case of the satellite, they had the protector, but did not use it because it blocked the power (duh, that is what its supposed to do.)

I have ordered a replacement convertor board to be sent to Mexico Mike, and he will re ship it for me. I have the skills & tools to change it out.

In future, our policy witll be to inspect what everybody has at the border to make sure they have the correct type of protection before they cross.

For readers here, it should be a lesson in why you need to protect your rig against bad power. Just putting things like your fridge on gas won't cut it, just being plugged in can blow stuff in your rig even if they are not turned on.
166 REPLIES 166

peterth
Explorer
Explorer
Hola pianotuna
We will be in Regina latter part of July. If you would like a Sola Basic I can bring it up with us, we have the 4000 unit and it is probably the best thing I did was installing it. Works great for me ,but surge protector is still needed.

Talleyho69
Looks like Mercado Libre does not take foreign credit cards, and it took until now to decide. Cap One already removed the charge, without our having to request it. We'll go to OXXO tomorrow and pay for the voltage regulator. Supposedly DHL express is just one day to here.

Just back from OXXO. Their commission is a whopping 9p.

We'll keep posting.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just got the manual for that 5000 watt delux unit. Input amperage is listed as 25 amps and maximum current input is 22.7 amps. They do have an "8000". Input 40 amps, max current 36.3 and output 25 amps.

The 8000 is about the same price as a Hughes 30 amp unit. I guess it is not going to be a purchase for me after all.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The ISB Sola Basic would meet my needs. But traveling to Mexico is just not in my plans.

I thought I had this problem licked when I got a Magnum Hybrid Inverter that does do load support. Unfortunately Load Support is NOT voltage support.

I don't like the specifications on the Hughes autoformer--nor on the Franks. The Sola unit appears to blow both of those right out of the water and for 1/3 of the cost.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Both Surge Guard and Progressive Industries have a low voltage cut off at 104. That's too low for my comfort zone.

I know of no other devices that will protect you as these will from surges or low voltage. Perhaps you can contact these manufacturers to see if the low voltage cut-off can be adjusted to a higher level if you feel there range is too low?

The ISB Sola Basic and other such devices are regulators which will help to keep voltage close to safe range. But these devices only work within certain voltages which means you can still get high or low voltage. A regulator is not a protector. There is a certain and very specific range within which these devices work. Beyond that range you still need the surge protection.

It seems it is still very difficult to try to get across to folks what these things are and what they do. There is no one device that is going to protect you from whatever.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Both Surge Guard and Progressive Industries have a low voltage cut off at 104. That's too low for my comfort zone.

I think the Sola unit is great--but I can't find a reliable way to buy one other than asking a person who visits Mexico to purchase one for me--and then transport it.

briansue wrote:
What the regulator does is keep you on power when there are voltage fluctuations that go over 132 or under 108 - keeps you closer to 120 - and the protector does not trip.
Regards, Don

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
The input cord will have to be change to a standard 30 amp and the output will also need a 30 amp adapter.

And my previous question about the size of the power cord still applies. If this is to be for up to 30amp then the cord needs to be at least 10 gauge wire - and a 30amp plug and whatever else would be needed - if you are going to plug your whole RV into it you need the right outlet - and all the wire has to be of large enough gauge. I think maybe some modifications could be required. I know the ISB device does not come wired as I did my own wiring to fit my needs. There may not be a simple solution.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
regulates low and high voltage instead of just tripping like the EMS it has more value. Am I looking at this correctly?

I think you still need the surge protector - not sure if you are confused about what all these different devices actually do - so maybe not looking at it correctly. These regulators will keep you around 120VAC if your incoming voltage is between around 90 and 140 maybe - see my previous post near the beginning of this thread. A surge protector not only protects from high voltage but low voltage - I believe most claim to work between 108 volts and 132 volts and if you go over or under it cuts off the bad power. You can still get extremes of high or low voltage that a regulator is not going to be able to correct for. So a complete system would be more desirable. What the regulator does is keep you on power when there are voltage fluctuations that go over 132 or under 108 - keeps you closer to 120 - and the protector does not trip. If you get a big surge or very low voltage the regulator is not going to protect you. In my opinion we need every advantage we can get. A small price to pay to protect all our expensive gear we might have in our RV. If don't have valuable stuff to protect then you don't need any of it. You can run on solar and batteries as some choose to do. We like our modern conveniences.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I tried calling but they may be closed for President's day.

Moisheh

emcee
Explorer
Explorer
These regulators look like a great value. 5000 watts for $130? This is the model with the analog voltage meter.

https://www.110220volts.com/ar-5000m.html

If it's rated for 5000 watts load then the input conductors must be rated for at least 30 amps. This is what I'm looking for to use in my 30 amp Winnebago Vista. It's cheaper than the progressive EMS-PT30C and since it regulates low and high voltage instead of just tripping like the EMS it has more value. Am I looking at this correctly? The input cord will have to be change to a standard 30 amp and the output will also need a 30 amp adapter. Otherwise it looks to me like it will work.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Just called them again. They claim it will do boost buck but did not have a lot of information. Perhaps it is time for me to be a guinea pig.

Wouldn't you know it--they just returned my first call. It can be used as a voltage regulator.

It "aims" at 110 volts plus or minus 4%.

boosts from 80 volts bucks from 135 volts, so the output range would be 105 to 115 volts.

They do ship to Canada.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Briansue,

It does appear to have a ground wire. I agree there are a lot of questions to be answered. They have not yet returned my call so I may call again.
Regards, Don

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I would have a lot of questions for the manufacturer of this unit. What is the size of the power cord? Does it have a ground wire? Can it be rewired for RVers needs? Based on the info on their website I am just not clear on exactly what it is this device does. Lots of questions.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I found more information here. It looks as if this may be useful as a voltage regulator in North America.

https://www.110220volts.com/atvr-5000.html

I've placed a phone call to them.
Regards, Don

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I see that the unit sold in the USA claims to be for electronic and appliance items. Could this unit be a full sine wave and the Mexican a modified sine wave? Would it even matter if all we are doing is regulating the voltage not converting. Way beyond my electronic knowledge.

Moisheh