Brand TRIPP LITE
19 REPLIES 19

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

Makes perfect sense. Thank you.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Because the INRUSH of an air conditioner motor is a lot more than the inrush of a microwave magnetron transformer. My little 5K window air draws 1550 watts starting up. The limit switches in the Koblenz will trip.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

My microwave draws more than my air conditioner.

In layman's terms why won't it work with a roof air unit?

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

For a microwave (only) load this critter should prove to be a marvel.

It definitely will not work with a roof air. Perish the thought...

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
We are very fortunate here on Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo. About 2 years ago, CFE came through and undergrounded and replaced the transformers and things. Since then, the electricity is solid. We keep a little digital plug in readout device in a visible plug on each floor. We never vary from 126, 127. Ever, no matter what we are running. The Cuisinart made the lights dim in our house in California-not here! We were planning on a whole house system like we had in the motorhome, and have no need for it.

There are bound to be other places in Mexico that have the electricity controlled and stable. It can't be just us.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Talleyho69! I did not know of Koblenz' premium reputation.

I use my voltage regulator inside rig or house. It makes microwave operation a lot more accurate, coffeemakers prepare a morning brew faster and my toaster oven work according to specifications.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At 2000 va this thing will max out a single receptacle's potential. I doubt there are many RV parks that have a duplex receptacle stout enough to withstand all this power drawn through it.

For a microwave (only) load this critter should prove to be a marvel.

It definitely will not work with a roof air. Perish the thought...

COSTCO parking lots are so big even a 40' pusher with toad can find space out toward the perimeter.

Jesus tell me my TORO 3 Kw voltage corrector is stuffed into the freezer that needs a new compressor. Airtight. Said he loaded the Tektronix oscilloscope and all my test gear and tools in as well. It is a 27 cubic foot chest freezer. The other chest freezer has about 900 pounds of wire and terminals in it.

Talleyho69
Koblenz is a German company that makes lots of things including the fancy stove we just bought. It too has a 5 year warranty and was highly rated.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Costco today. They had moved all of the converters UPS and other stuff so I had to ask and the lad led me to another aisle.

Whoops! No Tripp-Lite 2,000 va regulators.

In their place was

KOBLENZ brand 2000 va regulators.

"The Tripp Lite sold like crazy the young man explained."

OK
Koblenz.
Check-it-out
Slightly heavier feeling than the Tripp Lite.
Only one 15-amp outlet.
Switch on front with green LED and red LED
Receptacle on the rear side.
Side louvers

• Corrects high and low voltage
  • 90-130 volts
  • Unit will shut off if limits are exceeded
  • Shuts off if overloaded or short
  • 45 Joules which is almost no spike protection
  • Green LED on front is power indicator. Red is a fault indicator
  • Unit is made in Mexico

Guarantia 60 meses 5 aรฑos

I asked at the Customer Service Desk. "If this fails within 5 I can return it to COSTCO" Two people said 'yes'. (I think that may be true of COSTCO is handling them then)

KOBLENZ is an old company. Been round for many decades. A five year warranty is a sure sign of a company that has faith in it's product.

Model Number

RT 2002

Price

$1.199 Mexican Pesos + 16% tax

$1.391 Pesos

At today's exchange rate 0f 18.50 pesos for the dollar the conversion including tax comes out to

$75.18 US Dollars

Recommended. Ask for a FACTURA at the cash register. After paying for the unit go to Customer Service and hand them the register tape. They will ask you for your RFC number. You don't have one so say so. The clerk will speak to his supervisor and the supervisor will key in the code into the computer. The process takes five minuted. With the paperwork ADUANA allows the regulator to enter the country without so much as a remark. If the regulator goes out, xerox a copy of the Factura if you have to send it along to Koblenz.

-Hope This Helps-

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mex you are a good man.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No sir I do not.
Because I am at my medical hideout, going to COSTCO doesn't involve a major trip.

Costco rotisserie chicken costs ($4.86) and I am going to pick one up this week and make a vat of chicken soup. Actually a large pressure cooker's worth.

And I will swing on by the East wall and see about model numbers and the warranty. Costco also sells large french loaves called Bolillos (bo-lee-ohs) a dozen costs 13.40 pesos and like the chicken it is subsidized by the store. A baker told me they sell about six hundred per day. Six US cents each.

Computers and flat panel televisions are cruelly expensive in Mexico. Tourists are allowed to enter Mexico with one laptop so like the old joke about checking a prisoner wielding a wheelbarrow, I enter lawfully with just one laptop. Not for profit. I sell them at cost to high school and university students.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mex,

Do you have a model number??? (heavy is good)
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yup it is a genuine multi tap transformer unit and it has nothing to do with a battery. I wasn't in a rush and I speak spanish so I grabbed one and set in on the basket and handle bars and read all six sides. The one I selected had been opened so I called one of the security people standing around monitoring the electronics dept. She lifted the unit out of the box. Duplex receptacle, pilot lights on front and definitely a unit for refrigerators and well motors. Very distinctly stated this on 5-sides. It's a heavy little bugger. Power cord OD perhaps suitable for 12 AWG and a molded 3-prong plug.

Hecho en Mexico, means Made In Mexico with the stylized eagle head. I saw no other authorizing marks than NOM the UL of Mexico. I may shuffle my needs/wants budget for October and pick one up. Remember it is a 2,000 VA rating and not 2 Kw. The vent holes and the writing definitely states this is an indoor-only device.

With Costco FACTURACION that is a grandiose sales slip detailing official payment of the 16% sales tax I need not bother about anything other than sending it to Jesus, direct via ESTAFETA about $350 pesos or twenty dollars. Without the tax hassle, it'll reach the ESTAFETA office in Lazaro Cardenas in 4 full days.

BEWARE OF VOLTAGE BOOSTERS FOR COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS. They will smoke if connected to a motor. They are less than half the weight of a unit made for motors.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've looked on the Mexican Costco site. They have a 1200 va unit from Tripp Lite. Cost about $30 Usd.
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Theoldwizard1,

#1 can be done with a hybrid inverter charger but you do have to "force" it to do so. That is an expensive solution. I used to do double conversion all the time. I "broke out" the converter and would run the RV from a 2500 watt MSW inverter. It worked well for me. As a side benefit there was enough energy left over to run an 800 watt heater while keeping below 80% of the available shore power from a 15 amp circuit. At the time, the battery bank was 875 amp-hours, and the converter was 35 amps. I could do it for quite some time before I started to have low battery issues. It was great when I did not have access to the shore power breaker.

#2 can be done with an autoformer. My Sola Basic is 4000 va (Mexico) and cost about $240 Cdn. I did have to get some one from RV net to transport it for me. I don't see that as an expensive solution.

If Mex has found a 2000 watt power conditioner for $60 it is a heck of a good buy. Tripp Lite is a premium product.
Regards, Don