cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GREAT ALASKAN HOLIDAY SPRING ADVENTURE 2013 IOWA/ALASKA

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
We have just been confirmed for the Great Alaskan Holiday Spring Adventure 2013 from Forest City, IA to Anchorage, AK (leaving May 10th). Although we have travelled Canada and Alaska by air, rail, and water, this is our first road trip through Canada. Would love to hear from anyone that is booked for 2013 as well as those of you who have made the trip in the past.
67 REPLIES 67

GrandmaCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in May and LOVED every minute of it! I know we saw over 20 bears that day. For a first hand report, check out May 17th and 18th at www.mytripjournal.com/cjnky

jstrips
Explorer
Explorer
Granma Carol - I agree. Whenever a manufacturer finds a history of faults in any of their products you can bet the next production run will pay special attention in that area.
Have you ever taken the Cassair Hwy? I'm not sure a rookie should try that especially in May. Would apprciate your input.
Thanks, Jim Christy

GrandmaCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about those tv's falling off the wall jstrips - they had enough problems that year that I'm quite sure they came up with a better solution!

jstrips
Explorer
Explorer
Hi cr180
We rented from GAH 5 years ago in Anchorage and found the orientation/video took about an hour but that was in Anchorage not Forest city and 5 years ago We had to wait about 20 minutes past our check in time because they were backed up but we didn't mind because we had plenty of time to catch our plane. Yhe reason was because 2 RVs came back damaged. I only saw one and it had the passenger side door mirrors ripped off, window broken out and some damage to the door itself. Lots of Duct Tape was used to hold cardboard and mirrors in place.The other RV was back in the garage area so we did not see it. The driver of the first RV told me he hit a tree trying to park in narrow spot in a State Park. He had the CDW insurance. We had no problems with our unit during our three weeks. I have heard of a couple of leaks and the TV's falling off the wall in 28's. Yikes -that is what we have.
jstrips - Jim and Shirley

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Sue,
We love your pictures. And, thanks for the great information on cell phones, etc.
Congrats on your picture winning.
Sylvia

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first trip as well. When we originally booked we were told they held orientation every hour. Ours was 9:35 AM. Then changed to 10:35 AM. Now the new plan that was relayed in our letter today is that there will only be 2 orientations. Group A starting at 8:00 with video starting at 8:40 AM and Group B starting at 10:00 and video starting at 10:40 AM The return time of the motorhome is not changing. They are hoping this new process will be more efficient. They are very detailed in what documents are required and it appears if you show up with the proper documents and don't make changes at the last minute, you can breeze through the process. We are excited about this change as it will provide us with a couple of extra hours driving on the first day.

cr180
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple of comments about a change in the orientation. Since this is our first time, what's changing? Also, how long does the check-in @ anchorage usually take? Are they pretty thorough? Anyone had any trouble with problems on the way from Iowa to anchorage?? According to the contract we are completely on our own for figuring it out if we do have a problem. I know these motor homes are new, but like new anything there are problems. I guess what I'm asking is - have you had problems that have delayed your trip, not just cabinet doors that won't stay closed.

Thanks

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the cellular service, if you have CDMA compatible phones then there is service in most Yukon communities.

4G service in Whitehorse and it was recently introduced in Dawson City too. iPhones & iPads aren't great here, unless you live in the city!

With a CDMA compatible device & service, then your cell can be used along the Alaska Highway in Watson Lake, Teslin, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Destruction Bay and Beaver Creek. On the North Klondike there is CDMA service in Carmacks and Pelly Crossing.

WiFi can be iffy at some RV Parks in Yukon. Bandwidth isn't cheap in Yukon and the major supplier has caps on usage. As well, the infrastructure is aging and not reliable. During the past year, there have been numerous blackouts due to servers failing and lines being damaged.

Satellite phones are somewhat reliable, but not 100%. Being this far north the satellites aren't always in view. Trees and mountains get in the way. Our home satellite dish is pointed directly at the horizon to the southeast. The dish installer was worried that the trees would interfere.

Regarding pictures, either carry lots of memory cards for your camera OR have a USB external hard drive. Western Digital has some nice small external drives (the My Passports) that have proven very reliable for me despite being bounced around and accidently dropped. I like them because they are small and USB-powered. Comes in handy when drycamping. I use these for image backup. I save to both my laptop and the external drive. Once had my laptop fail near Watson Lake so was grateful to have the images on the external backup too. When I return home it is a simple matter to copy the thousands of images from the WD My Passport to my desktop computer.

BTW, this is how the Alaska Highway looked Tuesday January 29, west of Whitehorse, at -30C (-22F)

Here the Alaska Highway crosses the image left to right about half way up. Those are fox tracks lower left
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Cheryl,
Thanks for the information. I doubt we will go on the Cassier Hwy. We only have 17 days and have a cruise booked to Vancourver on the 27th. I'm a little worried that we are pushing it with just 17 days. Hoping to average 300 miles a day over a 15 day period. From reading many of the journals, I am hoping this is possible with our route west tp Montana, up through the Canadian Rockies, and north to Alaska. We will try to make good time while in the U.S. With our orientation being moved earlier, we will pick up extra time on the first day which is great. Have you received a notice about the change to the way they are handling orientations this year?
We are hoping to do a significant amount of boondocking. I need to go back and see if I can find journals about boondocking on this route.
I spent hours over the weekend looking at Sue T's pictures. It only heightened our anticipation of the trip. I had to go to the Pentax online store and order a new zoom lense for our SLR camera. Now you see why we are going to have to boondock ๐Ÿ™‚ I can't imagine making this trip without taking tons of pictures. One of the couples at the RV show was gone for 5 1/2 months last summer and took over 22,400 pictures. They are still posting them on their Facebook page. I was thinking I would take a few hundred.
Look forward to hearing from all over the forum.
Terry & Sylvia

SkiCruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Hi RV'RS: The cell phone service is not bad until you are north of Fort St. John. You will have service when you reach the larger cities in BC/Yukon - Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Haines Junction. After that you are in a dead zone for a few days until you reach Alaska. Then you will have pretty reliable service. We switch our service each year with Verizon to the Canada plan so that we don't have to pay roaming charges. Now, if you plan to go up the Cassier Highway there is even less service. My employer let's me take three weeks for thr trip because I am able to be in contact on a regular basis. Unless you plan to boondock alot, most every RV park has wi-fi. It allowed me to do payroll and time cards and check e-mails most mornings before we hit the road. I've never spoke with anyone who did the trip with a satellite phone as the majority of the people who do the trip are retired!

I do like the few days that I am out of touch completely because it is also the time that you are in one of the quietest parts of the trip - Sue's Country!!!!!

Let me know if you have any other ???????

Cheryl

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
We will traveling with my brother and sister-in-law (each renting our own motorhome). As many of the trip journals refer to the lack of cell phone service on the trip, we were wondering if anyone has suggestions on radios as a way to communicate between motorhomes?

GrandmaCarol
Explorer
Explorer
The only levelers are some blocks of wood they provide.

SkiCruiser will be your expert on cell service because she also had to keep in contact with work on her previous trips. We only used cell phone in AK where our Tracfone worked the best.

Chemicals are furnished.

Have you gone to mytripjournal.com? I found it very easy to use, and a great place to read the reviews of others. If you want to read more journals, check these out: http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-United_States-Alaska

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
Just went to the RV show in Atlanta. We are so stoked about the trip. Can't wait. Met 2 couples that have made the trip to AK. Picked up good tips about boondocking, frost heaves, etc.
We do have a couple of questions...
Do the motorhomes have power levelers?
How much of the trip has limited or no cell service. Currently, we are with AT&T. I will have to work some and need to be availalbe to clients. Am wondering if I should just rent a sattelite phone for the month? Has anyone done this and what was your access?
Are the chemicals furnished for the motor homes or do we just pick up at Wal-Mart? It seems so much is furnished, just didn't know?
We just received a letter that there is only going to be 2 orientations this year to try and expedite the departure time of the motor homes. Yeah!
My sister-in-law did a dry run on her packing this past Saturday. She successfully kept her bag under 50 pounds (41).
We found that Gander Mountain opened a new store over in Auburn AL. Have made a couple of trips to get rain gear, new coats, etc. Everything is on sale, so make some great purchases for the trip.
In the last couple of weeks, have read every journal that I could find to gain information. Can anyone share the pros and cons of the different journal sites?

SkiCruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Cecil & Ann:

We leave on the 10th, too! Is this your first trip north with GAH? See you in MSP!

Cheryl

cwcawcAL
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,
Also have received contracts and looking forward to trip. Leaving 10th. Plans are still to head north to Moose Jaw SK, then west to Banff, Jasper, Dawson Creek, etc. My plans have two 2 problems, Long 1st day and long Last day. My flight will Arrive in MSP airport befor 11 AM, then after turning in MH our flight out leaves just after midnight.

Cecil and Ann