cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GREAT ALASKAN HOLIDAY SPRING ADVENTURE 2013 IOWA/ALASKA

RV_RS
Explorer
Explorer
We have just been confirmed for the Great Alaskan Holiday Spring Adventure 2013 from Forest City, IA to Anchorage, AK (leaving May 10th). Although we have travelled Canada and Alaska by air, rail, and water, this is our first road trip through Canada. Would love to hear from anyone that is booked for 2013 as well as those of you who have made the trip in the past.
67 REPLIES 67

cwcawcAL
Explorer
Explorer
That was getting long. But just another BTW, We became snowed in at Beaver Creek Yukon just before getting to Alaska border. Pulled in a little early Saturday afternoon, stayed until 10:30 Sunday morning. By then there was 3 of us GAH units. Pulled out an drove slower and careful from at least 50 miles til roads begin to get clear. Pulled in to TOK for gas an found I had flat tire on outside left rear. They have air valve extenders on the rear tires. When driving thru snow and ice slush they form big ice chunks, broke one off causing flat.
Lucky just across road from Eddies Cafรฉ in TOK was tow service and garage. they had on road shortly.
Its too late now but my suggestion would be too get 28 foot. we drove 25. Reason, 25 foot is on Ford 350, 28 ft is on the Ford 450. the larger truck frame is more stable.

HAPPY TRAVELING. I enjoyed it all, so much to see it off sets little troubles.

cwcawcAL
Explorer
Explorer
After taking the spring adventure trip in May 2013, first time to look back on here. We paid for extra sheets and blankets BUT the first set was covered in the rental along with towels etc. CDW insurance, there is collision and comprehensive. Broken windshields, etc, you are covered actually doing body or frame damage etc NOT.IF YOU STILL HAVE QUESTIONS ON SUBJECT, then call them and ask specific question.
I problem one light fixture over the table, used DUCT tape to hold it together. The microwave metal trim that holds in in the built-in cabinet cracked, also used DUCT tape on that. No problems at check-in about either one.
Had problem with both sides under the rear wheel wells. They put a sheet metal in the FRONT of the rear wheels, shields propane tank and electrical box. They use sheet metal screws to hold them on. UNLESS they have taken suggestion top use bolts and nuts. I had to use wire to secure them after the wind that you drive thru first couple days pull the screws loose. If you hear clanging sound look for loose shields just in front of read duel wheels.

Tom_B__T
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the good information. Kinda scary about the blankets, sheets, towels, roadside assistance. Will clarify next time I call them.
mcjsarf1 - your wife's blog with photos is great.

Tom

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
These delivery programs have to be looked at as a one way rental program. The renters get a reduced rate for delivering the RVs to Alaska. To me, this is a great program for those that don't have an RV to drive to Alaska, or don't want to take their RV over the Alaska Highway the first trip or for folks that don't have all summer to make the trip as a nice three week time slot will give someone a great trip, IMHO.

Also keep in mind the rental companies in Alaska, many are also motorhome dealers, so some of the delivery units may be going into the "new" inventory at the dealer company or may be the deliver method to get a new pre-purchased unit to a customer there in Alaska.

While not a program that would appeal to everyone, it fits the needs of many travelers to the north country. With the reduced rental rates, it makes for a great trip for the driver and passengers, and gets the company units delivered at a lower rate. If the rental companies had to pay professional drivers to bring the units north to Alaska, I would hate to think what the rental rates in Alaska would have to be to cover the added cost.

A few years back I spotted an add somewhere, perhaps in the Anchorage newspaper, where one of the large RV rental companies was looking for people to deliver "used" RVs back to the lower 48. With several of the large rental companies rotating their units on a two year basis, this could cause 500 to 600 used RVs, mainly Class C units, to be put into the used market. The small Alaska population can't absorb this many units on a regular basis.
Since so much of the Alaska employment is based upon summer jobs, they may not advertise outside the state for drivers to move the used RVs south. If I was in the market for a used Class C, I would sure consider trying to deal with one of the Alaska dealers. Fly up and buy a unit coming off the rental schedule and then drive it back home.
While the Alaska rental units get lots of use in the summer months, they sit during the winter months, not being rented.

It would be easy for GAH or ABC or any of the other rental companies to load up the used dishes, bedding, etc in one or more of the used RVs returning to the Lower 48 to be sold and have the items delivered to the factory of their choice for use the next spring on the north bound new units.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Now let me get this straight - you pay for the RV rental, you pay ALL expenses (fuel, Campground fees, etc. ), you get 18 days to drive up to 3600 miles from Iowa to Anchorage AK. If you take extra days or miles you pay for that. You paid to get to Iowa then you pay to get back home from Alaska. If anything goes wrong, breaks down, you are 'on your own'. Is that correct?

Darn - where do I sign up?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

cr180
Explorer
Explorer
You pay a rental fee for each set of sheets and towels you want, just like each lawn chair you want.

Cindy
Chattanooga, Tn.

GrandmaCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying that even the sheets and towels are now in the box with the bedspread?? If so that's a real bummer!

cr180
Explorer
Explorer
Carol,

Yes, you have to pay for everything except a coffee maker or tea pot. No free ride on anything else! They won't even let you use the sink covers/cutting boards or the bedspread. If you open these you have to pay a $50 cleaning fee!!!!! And no hubcaps either - you haul those in a big box in the storage area under the rear end. All 3 items are reserved for the person that buys the unit 2 years down the road when GAH is done renting it out. Made no sense to me since they aren't buying a NEW unit. Just my opinion though.

Cindy
Chattanooga, Tn.

GrandmaCarol
Explorer
Explorer
"you should also expect to get the items you specifically added to the rental, i.e. coffee maker, towels, lawn chairs, sheets, etc."

Both times we've taken the trip we did not have to add sheets and towels as they were included - has this changed? You are given a choice of coffee maker or tea pot to be included. For other things such as lawn chairs and bbq, there is an additional charge.

cr180
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,

You will have a great time next year!!! We did the 2013 Spring Adventure and thoroughly enjoyed the trip!! We did it in one of GAH's 25' motorhomes. Perfect size and didn't have to mess with slides - turned out to be a great choice. The cab is the same in all the sizes, so you aren't gaining anthing there by going bigger. It's really just a place to sleep.

As to your question about things included in the RV - don't expect much to be included. Here is what we got: electric cord, sewer hose and connection, hose for filling water tank, toilet chemicals to last for the trip, tire & jack, broom, 4 plates, bowls & cups, 4 plastic glasses, silverware, a few cooking utensils, a large soup pot, a couple saucepans, one frying pan, colander, 1 trivet, coffee filters, 1 small wastebasket for the bathroom, and 1 roll of toilet paper. We also got 1 screwdriver and 1 pair of pliers. Of course, you should also expect to get the items you specifically added to the rental, i.e. coffee maker, towels, lawn chairs, sheets, etc.

BTW - in case you are expecting everything to be new in the "New" motorhome - don't. Everything we got in the motorhome was well used and mismatched, which was a surprise to us. They take everything out of the motorhomes they sold the previous year and ship it to Iowa and put them in the "New" motorhomes.

We did not have any problems with the motorhome that caused us to lose time. We had a heater that worked off and on for the first 4 or 5 nights, then never had another problem with it - go figure. We also had a tank monitor(batteries, propane, fresh water, black water & grey water) that didn't work, so you never knew what your levels were. We considered both items to be minor. We did not talk with any other GAHer's that had engine or transmission problems this trip (2013). When you get your contract next January or so, and you read the fine print, you will see that you are pretty much on your own if you do have problems. GAH isn't going to send help. They will advise you by phone what they want you to do, but you may lose days of travel if it's serious and there is no compensation for that, either $$ or extra days at the end. We took the tools we carry in our own RV so we could fix things, but thankfully did not need them. Surprisingly, or maybe not, GAH did not address this topic in the orientation they require you to sit through the morning of your departure from Forest City.

As next May gets closer you will have more questions and this list is a good source of answers, but, as with any list we all have opinions. You will have to make the choices that are right for you.

Sorry to be so lengthy.

Cindy
Chattanooga, Tn.

mcjsarf1
Explorer
Explorer
Also, the generator runs on gasoline and will not run if the fuel level is <3/8 of a tank. The frig and stove use propane. I believe that the frig is dual fuel and that if you plug in at a campground, it will operate with electricity. We always looked for campsites that had Wi-Fi.

Not sure about parking in Forest City. GAH can answer that one. We live in Tampa, but have family in Minneapolis, so we left our car in Mpls.

mcjsarf1
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Iowa-Alaska trip in 2012. Yes, the fuel tanks are full when you pick up the unit, as is the water tank. There is a pail, screwdriver, pliers, rags, etc. The unit is completely equipped for all normal traveling and light maintenance needs.

Anchorage GAH unit check-in was simple and hassle free.

Check out my wife Charlotte's blog. She did a fabulous job. All in costs with return airfare, fuel, campgrounds, dining out, incidentals, etc., was about $400/day for our 21 day trip.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/travelbug1054/1/tpod.html

Tom_B__T
Explorer
Explorer
That was easy.
Fellow RVers,

We have a 2014 reservation for the GAH Spring Adventure Package. Still doing research before submitting my deposit. After reading all your posts, it sounds like a great trip. Please help by answering some questions:
1. The RV must be equipped with everything needed for the trip - fresh water hose & regulator, sewer hose & fittings, electrical cord & 20/30/50 Amp adapters, leveling blocks. A broom, vacuum cleaner, 5 gallon bucket, cleaning supplies, toilet chemicals. Tools, spare tire and jack, emergency roadside reflectors. Correct??
2. Has anyone needed assistance for roadside emergencies, chassis (engine, transmission, etc.) repair, or coach repair? Is GAH good about resolving issues?
3. Is the gas tank and propane tank full prior to departure?
4. Am I correct that the generator runs on propane?
5. Has anyone driven to Forest City? If so, what did you do with your vehicle? Any storage available in Forest City?

Thank you,
Tom

Tom_B__T
Explorer
Explorer
This is a test. New to Forums & posting.

Tom.B.T