Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mexican Diesel Fuel - Sulfur Levels Update

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Update Regarding Diesel Fuel in Mexico - September 27, 2017

The Mexico Snowbird Season for 2017/18 is fast approaching, so here is an update regarding sulfur levels in Mexican diesel fuel and the potential for negative impacts on late model diesels. Please note that I am not a Pemex employee, so I can not guarantee that information provided by Pemex about the availability of ULSD is completely reliable, but lab testing of some random fuel samples, and data from diesel owners driving in Mexico, does appear to confirm the latest Pemex information.

Several things have become abundantly clear over the 10+ years since I first began researching this topic and started collecting data from owners of a wide range of diesel powered vehicles:

All diesels up to and including the 2010 model year, irrespective of manufacturer or vehicle type, have no significant problems from the use of higher sulfur Mexican diesel fuel (LSD). The most noticeable โ€œsymptomโ€, only apparent on 2007.5 through 2010 model years, MIGHT be occasional blue smokey exhaust during regeneration cycles. (Regeneration cycles burn soot out of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) from time to time, and blue smoke can occur when sulfur deposits are mixed with the soot). The majority of owners though will not even see blue smokey regenerations, so will be unaware whether or not their vehicles are burning Mexican diesel.
IN SUMMARY: If you own a diesel vehicle of any model year prior to 2011 you can use Mexican diesel fuel without taking any special precautions.

There is a POTENTIAL for 2011 and later diesel vehicles, the ones that use Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), to experience problems while using Mexican LSD. (Dodge RAMs of 2013 and later model years fall into this category.

Within this group:

(a)
CLASS A MOTORHOMES:
I have never received a report of any Class A diesel pusher motorhome having any type of sulfur-in-fuel related problem. This is probably because these vehicles are very heavy, which keeps exhaust gas temperatures elevated, discouraging sulfur compounds from settling out in the exhaust/emissions system. In addition, their exhaust systems are relatively short, so they heat up quickly and stay hot, again discouraging the deposit of sulfur compounds that could interfere with the functioning of the emissions system.
IN SUMMARY: Based on all of the data available at this time, Class A diesel pushers have no negative reactions to the use of Mexican LSD

(b)
SPRINTERS:
Sprinters are a very large sub-group of motorhomes that are commonly seen in Mexico. They are relatively heavy for their size, so their exhaust/emissions systems stay hot, which discourages sulfur deposits. However, I have two verified reports of post-2010 Sprinters going in to modes where the number of starts is being restricted, with warnings of a shutdown after those starts have been used. In both cases though the vehicles โ€œhealedโ€ themselves, presumably after a regeneration cycle burned soot and sulfur out of the exhaust/emissions system.

Based on discussions with the owners of those Sprinters, the evidence suggests that Sprinters will not typically have any issues using Mexican LSD unless the vehicle is used for numerous short trips for shopping, restaurant visits, etc after reaching a winter destination. These short trips do not fully heat the exhaust system, which allows sulfur compounds to collect in the Selective Catalytic Reducer (SCR).
IN SUMMARY: Sprinters very rarely experience serious issues with Mexican LSD, and probably only when the vehicle is used for frequent short trips that do not fully heat the exhaust system. Owners planning to use their Sprinters for local transport once they reach their final destination should try to carry extra ULSD and use a 50/50 mixture with Mexican LSD after reaching the final destination. A 50/50 mixture of ULSD with Mexican LSD has been shown to cause no sulfur related issues across a wide range of vehicle types.

(c)
DODGE RAM PICKUPS:
Dodge RAM pickups have been the least likely diesel pickups to experience any issues with Mexican diesel fuel (LSD). The most frequently reported issue has been excessive consumption of DEF in 2013 and later models as the emissions system injects more and more DEF to compensate for the sulfur contamination of the Selective Catalytic Reducer (SCR) between regenerations.

There is, however, some uncertainty going forward because Dodge has apparently recently negotiated a settlement with the EPA over allegations of improper reporting/monitoring of emissions. It is my understanding that Dodge has agreed to correct the โ€œproblemโ€ by reprogramming trucks during normal service visits to dealerships. What is not yet known is how the reprogrammed trucks will react to the presence of sulfur in the fuel, so Dodge owners need to be aware that there is a potential for new fuel-related problems.
IN SUMMARY: Dodge RAMS have generally been symptom free while using Mexican LSD but there is a new potential for issues because of emissions programming updates by Dodge. It may be wise for 2013 and later Dodge owners to obtain a tuner, such as the one made by Edge Products, that can force a regeneration cycle to burn sulfur out of the system. A regeneration should then be triggered if any emissions related warnings are displayed.

(d)
FORD PICKUPS:
Ford diesels generally have not exhibited any issues while using Mexican LSD, but I have three verified cases of emissions related COMPLETE SHUT DOWNS after the vehicles were used locally in Mexico for extended periods on Mexican LSD after arriving at a winter destination.
IN SUMMARY: Ford diesels are usually symptom free while using Mexican LSD but there is a potential for issues if the vehicle is driven on short trips on Mexican LSD once the winter destination has been reached. It would be wise for 2011 and later Ford owners to obtain a tuner, such as the one made by Edge Products, that can force a regeneration cycle to burn sulfur out of the system. A regeneration should then be triggered if any emissions related warnings are displayed.

(e)
DURAMAX POWERED PICKUPS (GMC and CHEVROLET):
Duramax powered diesels are the most sensitive vehicles to sulfur in Mexican fuel. They often enter speed limitation modes, and can end up in limp mode (5mph) if special precautions are not taken. (Almost as if Duramax is OVER-reporting emissions compared to other diesels). Owners of 2011 and later Duramax diesels should contact me at whitetmp@aol.com if they are planning to travel in to Mexico so that I can make them aware of special precautions that need to be taken. Unfortunately, as of the time of writing, I have not become aware of any tuners available at the retail level that can trigger regenerations on Duramax diesels.

HERE IS THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING THE AVAILABILITY OF ULSD IN MEXICO:

(a)
It is NOT POSSIBLE to determine whether fuel is ULSD or LSD by looking at it or sniffing it. The ONLY way to make a reliable determination is with a laboratory test. I have personally collected and run lab tests on samples of fuel from Mexico so I know this is true. If someone says he or she can identify the fuel type without a lab test you need to be skeptical.

(b)
The Mexican Government has set the end of 2018 as the cutoff date for Pemex to supply ULSD at every station in Mexico. If Pemex can not upgrade it's own refineries by then, it has to export the fuel produced by those refineries and import ULSD for domestic use. At this stage it appears that 3 of Pemex's refineries have already been upgraded or the upgrades are close to completion, and more are currently being worked on. As a result of the already completed upgrades, ULSD is becoming more readily available and there are now large areas and corridors where ULSD is standard.
NOTE: It is commonly the case that a station will be pumping ULSD without the knowledge of the attendants, and there will not be any label to indicate that the fuel is ULSD (UBA). Do NOT trust any claims by station attendants that they have, or have not, got ULSD (UBA) at the pumps unless they can show you the fuel manifestโ€“ they typically have NO IDEA where their fuel originates.

(c)
A contact at Pemex recently sent me a copy of the official Pemex list of stations already carrying ULSD. The list is arranged by state and then city or town within the state. I can provide that list to owners of vehicles which may be sensitive to sulfur in the fuel, specifically Duramax owners.

(d)
There is reliable evidence that there is presently ULSD at every Pemex in the Northern Baja, down to and including Jesus Maria, about 38 kms north of the border with the Southern Baja. In additon, all stations in the Yucatan are listed as having ULSD, and the main corridors running from the US Border to Mexico City are mostly stocked with ULSD.

(e)
I have received recent reports from travellers who say they have seen Gulf and Esso stations now open in Mexico, so the marketplace is presently undergoing a major transformation. As a result of these changes, I am convinced that Mexico will indeed fully convert to ULSD by the end of 2018.

Ted (Ed) White
whitetmp@aol.com
September 2017
83 REPLIES 83

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
That's correct Tequila. Drivers who have sent me their travel reports have mostly mentioned stand-alone signs indicating that there is UBA Diesel (Ultra Baja Azufre) available, but Pemex would indeed normally call it DUBA.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I should menetion that ULSD diesel if ID'ed is usually marked DUBA, not UBA. UBA is often used to describe gasoline.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed. Kudos and a special

Que le vaya bien

Amigo

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your work, Ed!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gee, how many years to you think it will take Pemex to put up signs on all of their stations, when they made it publicly known that all of their stations have UBA?

It is stated within the foot tall agreement between PEMEX and the franquicia that it is the financial responsibility and the functional responsibility of the franquicia to PURCHASE and INSTALL any signage changes that the company shall require.

I went through the primary stages of franquicia with PEMEX in a feasibility study to see if erection of a gasolinera in Chucutitan Michoacan would be possible. There would be over EIGHTY SEPARATE INSPECTIONS during the construction by Pemex. Every rivet, every sack of cement, every contractor has to be on the PEMEX approved list. The Lighting fixtures, Plumbing, electrical, pump safety shutoff switch, restroom fixtures and appliances, door, signage and decals have to be applied by PEMEX approved contractors, inspected and signed off by inspectors.

You folks really need to talk to a franquicia owner to gain proper perspective of this. You have to have a bank account in one a just a small handful of banks approved by PEMEX. Deposits for fuel have to be made four working days before the PIDE the order is made and then the company has 5 working days to deliver the fuel with a host of caveats including acts of god, and transport breakdown exclusion. Fuel delivery is via PEMEX authorized distributors.

The company is 101% bureaucratic administration. I inquired as to a guarantee of fuel QUANTITY verification and QUALITY (purity) assurance. That falls 100% under the responsibility of of the DELIVERY and TRANSPORTATION franquicia. No trucks are owned by PEMEX. Even the tanker ships are franquicias. Sometimes the delivery franquicias cheat and use non approved subcontractors. Sue me. This is Mexico and many primary transport contractors are very wealthy and vindictive.

When fuel barged from Topolobampo to Pichiligue BCS proved to be destructively contaminated diesel (with gasoline) the transport franquicia declared bankruptcy. The company and the transport tankers were ruled non indemtifyable.

I went through months of learning two thousand pages of "ropes" about becoming a franquicia dealer.

If and when PEMEX decides to have UBA signage posted at it's franquicias, the signage will be posted at the expense and responsibility of the of the franquicia owner. PEMEX makes available the logistics of obtaining the signage. Usually only black plastic diesel signage needs to be changed. I have no idea how much that would cost each franquicia.

The extreme costs associated with a gasolinera meeting all the regulations is what encouraged many owners to deliver short liters. This is not a defense of their actions, but it is the explanation they give when challenged.

Few times, reality in Mexico meets what we imagine it to be. In the end, dreams of owning a franquicia in Chucutian evaporated like the morning mist. The financial backer from Morelia was horrified when I explained the intricacies of the Pemex bureaucracy. He expected the gasolinera to cost under five million pesos in 2006. It penciled out at over eight million pesos then came the pre-payment of forty thousand liters of comistible. And this did not include the land!

Yes, PEMEX made so many public announcements in the press. Let is see how long it takes for the UBA signage to appear.

By the way I would love to see news of any of this in any one of major Mexican newspapers or public online Pemex news account. I have yet to have more than a brief chat with any of the extraneous origin gasolineras (British Petroleum) and that owner told me PEMEX controls every last period and comma in those franquicia agreements but the regulations are not as strict as a Pemex gasolinera. Extent unknown to me. Frankly after unburying myself of twenty pounds of bound regulations in Michoacan the bloom fell from the rose. That and the gentleman from Morelia along with his family were killed in a head on crash between Las Peรฑas and Alcapican in late 2010.

SEMPRA energy was rejected as a contender to constructing port facilities in Lazaro Cardenas, Michoacan or Salina Cruz, Oaxaca. SEMPRA is a major entity in constructing port storage and handling facilities of Chevron petroleum products. In effect Rosarito / El Sauzal B.C. and Tobolbampo Sinaloa. That area has zero extraneous gaolineras, the meaning of which is unclear.

Take a copy of this repsonse to Antonio Muรฑoz, who speaks superb English, in El Rosario, Baja California. He is the owner of a franquicia. He is quite friendly and utterly honest (litros completos) Let HIM judge the accuracy of what I have written.

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
I have received several reports over the summer that some stations on the Mainland, both Pemex and the private competitors like Shell and Esso, are actively advertising that they carry UBA diesel.

It wouldn't make much financial sense though to change all the signs at the Pemex stations to say UBA at this stage of the game - why bother. Pemex Head Office told me today in an email, very emphatically, that they do not own the retail outlets, that they are all owned by franchisees who decide for themselves whether to advertise that they have ULSD.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone noticed if the pumps or signs state the fuel is ulsd ?
Moisheh

Talleyho69
Gee, how many years to you think it will take Pemex to put up signs on all of their stations, when they made it publicly known that all of their stations have UBA?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

As Pemex says, "this will be irrefutable proof that the gasolinera has UBA diesel."

"But the signage will be withheld until every last gasolinera in the country has UBA"

My own recommendation until the signs go up is to refer to official PEMEX publications for the serial number of the franquicia to verify UBA presence.

Talleyho69
Thanks so much for everything you have done for all of us!!

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
It's that time of the year again - Snowbirds are preparing to head south for the winter, so it's also time to post an update regarding the availability of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) in Mexico.

Drum roll please, because this looks like it will be the last time I have to post an update. The diesel fuel at all of the retail outlets in Mexico is now ULSD, meaning that the days of pumping high sulfur diesel fuel in Mexico are over.

All of Pemex's diesel producing refineries have been updated with desulfuring plants and Pemex is listing all of it's diesel production as ULSD, 15ppm or less of sulfur. You can see the information in the first paragraph at this Pemex link:

http://www.pemex.com/comercializacion/productos/Paginas/refinados/diesel.aspx

So, it's time for me to retire from assisting owners of late model diesels, and all of you out there who have been saying you won't risk trading in your old tired out-dated diesel can finally go and buy a new one.

Have a great winter in Mexico

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
According to Javier, there are now more than 30 extraneous brand names shown on gasolineras. Here, one Pemex is now a BP so the rebranding is not limited to new construction.

Of interest is a station originating in France. They said they are using Pemex fuel at present but sometime this year they will start importing fuel from Algeria. The company is bragging their UBA diesel has a proprietary blend of additives that eliminates the need for customer diesel supplements to suppress plant contamination (algae). The gasoline is supposed to contain nitrogen urea compounds (which I suppose will act like Chevron and Shell gasoline additives).

Javier had no inside information about what is or what is not happening to the Salina Cruz refinacion. But for years tankers have been off-loading refined in USA Premium, so I dearly hope that Japanese refined diesel is finally making an introduction way down south.

Note: Fuel prices have zagged upward locally in the last two weeks -- about 4% for Pemex and extraneous stations -- all grades of fuel. I'll will believe the touts of price adjusted for market when I see the pump price decrease. Something I have never seen down here in 53-years.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
According to Javier, there are now more than 30 extraneous brand names shown on gasolineras. Here, one Pemex is now a BP so the rebranding is not limited to new construction.

Of interest is a station originating in France. They said they are using Pemex fuel at present but sometime this year they will start importing fuel from Algeria. The company is bragging their UBA diesel has a proprietary blend of additives that eliminates the need for customer diesel supplements to ****** plant contamination (algae). The gasoline is supposed to contain nitrogen urea compounds (which I suppose will act like Chevron and Shell gasoline additives).

Javier had no inside information about what is or what is not happening to the Salina Cruz refinacion. But for years tankers have been off-loading refined in USA Premium, so I dearly hope that Japanese refined diesel is finally making an introduction way down south.

Note: Fuel prices have zagged upward locally in the last two weeks -- about 4% for Pemex and extraneous stations -- all grades of fuel. I'll will believe the touts of price adjusted for market when I see the pump price decrease. Something I have never seen down here in 53-years.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Ed.
When I learned that the new prezident was elected, we almost headed for the Okanagon. If I was younger I definitely would have.

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that info DieselBurps. Luckily the need to force a regen because of sulfur in Mexican fuel won't be needed. NOT A SINGLE CASE of sulfur-in-fuel problems has been reported to me from Mexico this winter season. The country is awash with ULSD, and well on track for 100% compliance by December.