cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salmon Glacier, Stewart and Hyder

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I have removed the mining post..it was dated 2014.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
3 REPLIES 3

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
SideHill...there are so many facets to the resource based feast/famine loops. There is the truth that the north needs growth and mining is the vehicle that seems to be the go-to right now. But if it's not mining, it's oil and gas exploration and drilling and pipes. I always struggle with the good vs bad scenarios. No doubt jobs are the carrot on the stick. Big money for whomever gets hired. The goverment of the day needs the tax money generated to feed the hungry mouths that we, the taxpayers, have. The damage that resourcse extractions cause are never ending. It's not like logging..plant more trees. Damage from tailings and fracking and spills go on forever.

As far as Stewart and Hyder, the roads will become busier, gates go up, costs to live there skyrocket. Some get wealthier, some have to leave. I suppose it's the nature of things but now that I am kind of at the end of my own road, it makes me very unhappy to see what we allow, in the name of commerce. We give away the in-ground resources, including water. I fear that in the not to distant future, we shall wake-up to the news that we have expended all that was and we are left with just a shell.

It has been suggested that tourist dollars play a smmall role in Stewart. I don't think that the strength of the tourist spending should ever be downplayed. Hyder and Stewart both, benefit greatly from visitors. Stores, hotels, shops, food and ale.

If someone is reading this...and want to see the two glaciers...don't delay. They are both retreating at alarming rates.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I worked at the Granduc mine in 1975 and go back fairly often. Last year, the new mine operator had blocked the road about half-way between the glacier viewpoint and the old Granduc mill site (well, not "blocked" exactly, but very well signed that non-miners are not welcome on the private property). Although I'd heard that the company trucks were bullying tourist vehicles, I saw no indication of that. Stewart as a community still hopes to be a resource and shipping centre - tourism is little better than beer money for the town as a whole.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gary.
What are you thinking will occur when the mine starts up? Issues on the road, or something else? I can't see the people of Stewart allowing any mining company closing the road up towards Salmon Glacier or stopping Tourst traffic, no matter how much money the mine brings in.
If in fact they are thinking of closing the road, I can't believe the Town of Stewart would allow a mine to move in and close the area for the short term gains a mine will make.
My wife was raised in Stewart and moved there by sea in 1962. Her dad was a hard rock miner that drilled and blasted the tunnel under the mountain and glacier for the 16 km long tunnel to get to the Ore body. He then was one of the Forman on the rail gang for many years until the mine closed.
The old mine site now "I believe" is in the town boundies of Stewart must have a say in what happens up that road, even if the new mine site isn't in there boudries.
Yes I do agree that people living up north or anywhere in a mining town or logging a town do need to support and encourage the industry, however I can't see encouraging one industry like mining or logging and canceling out tourism.
Thanks for the Info Garry, it is very interesting and my wife was excited, and very interested to hear the news for all her friends still up in Sewart and Hyder
If there is a link to the news report can you send it, post it for all of us read.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks